Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

allfriends1990
Hi,
    I am user of mapguide open source 1.2 and now i am switching to mapguide open source 2.2 but i have 3 support servers for my mapguide 1.2 . I am unable to find the configuration of support server in mapguide opensource 2.2 is the feature of scaling for many support server removed from the latest release of mapguide opensource  2.2 if not is there any proper documentation to configure this for may support servers, because i searched on net a lot but was not able to find proper documentation for scaling configuration.

Please reply........

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

GordonL
I haven't tried pragmatic load balancing for a while but i am sure its still there isn't it?

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

allfriends1990
I have successfully implemented it on mapguide opensource 1.2 and also tried to find similar configuration files and options on mapguide 2.2 but was unable to find.I doubt if mapguide feature of multiple mapguide support servers as single logical site is available on enterprise version and not on opensource version of 2.2... correct me if i am wrong and if there is some different configuration on mapguide 2.2 for multiple support servers

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

zspitzer
with the changes to the windows ACE usage in  2.4 & 64 bit support,
mapguide should scale up much better on a large multi-core machine

the main reason support servers was dropped as being an option was that
the overhead of the clustering was pretty excessive. (when I say dropped
I mean not actively exposed, tested or maintained)

the only exception is GDAL which is still only single threaded.

If anyone needs multi threaded GDAL, we need some sponsorship to
fund some development to get it working....

Sadly, whilst lots of people use MapGuide Open Source for commercial
projects, hardly anybody donates money towards the project

As someone who puts a fair bit of time into the project and has funded
several improvements, this is a continual source of ongoing disappointment

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM, allfriends1990 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have successfully implemented it on mapguide opensource 1.2 and also tried
> to find similar configuration files and options on mapguide 2.2 but was
> unable to find.I doubt if mapguide feature of multiple mapguide support
> servers as single logical site is available on enterprise version and not on
> opensource version of 2.2... correct me if i am wrong and if there is some
> different configuration on mapguide 2.2 for multiple support servers

Zac Spitzer
Solution Architect / Director
Ennoble Consultancy Australia
http://www.ennoble.com.au
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

allfriends1990
So mapguide opensource 2.2 does not consist of support server feature...

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

zspitzer
I believe it still might, but the UI has been removed from the mapadmin
and it's considered unsupported

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM, allfriends1990 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So mapguide opensource 2.2 does not consist of support server feature...

Zac Spitzer
Solution Architect / Director
Ennoble Consultancy Australia
http://www.ennoble.com.au
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

Johnnie GIS
I don't believe the support server concept is there anymore either. I believe at v2 we ended having to replicate the MG sites to the servers we wanted to use and then use a hardware load balancer.
It did allow for more concurrent users I believe but definitely increases the maintenance overhead.

HTH.

Regards,
Jonathon McIntyre
i-Open Technologies
Twitter: @JohnnieGIS
www.i-opentech.com
(C) 778-549-8382

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any typos.

On May 7, 2012, at 9:51 PM, allfriends1990 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So mapguide opensource 2.2 does not consist of support server feature...

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

zspitzer
out of interest, in the existing configuration,
how many support servers are being used and what spec are those servers?

if the concept of support server is not there in mapguide opensource 2.2 then the hardware requirement will be huge as a  single server....i am using a server intel x series processor and about 7 GB RAM with about 2Mbps of server bandwith on my test server but still it supports hardly 3 users when surfing the hybrid view or satellite view , what would be the requirement  if i need to scale it to 40 users is there any way so we can minimize the server hardware and bandwidth requirement and balance the load on mapguide server

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

zspitzer
But how many cores does this server have?

if you are using PNG for raster imagery, your bandwidth requirements will
be crazy, JPG will speed up your map delivery (from server to client)
and drastically reduce your bandwidth usage

Also, are you using tiled maps? that is really the only way
to scale things up for many users, especially with raster imagery

As I mentioned before, any FDO GDAL raster is single threaded which
is the real bottleneck. so if you need better performance, I really suggest
considering contributing some funds towards the following initiative

http://www.otxsystems.com/community-initiatives/gdal-provider-initiative.html

This multi-threaded GDAL provider will also prevent a crash within the provider
blocking all further GDAL requests, which is rather nasty in production

Regards

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM, allfriends1990 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> if the concept of support server is not there in mapguide opensource 2.2 then
> the hardware requirement will be huge as a  single server....i am using a
> server intel x series processor and about 7 GB RAM with about 2Mbps of
> server bandwith on my test server but still it supports hardly 3 users when
> surfing the hybrid view or satellite view , what would be the requirement
> if i need to scale it to 40 users is there any way so we can minimize the
> server hardware and bandwidth requirement and balance the load on mapguide
> server

Zac Spitzer
Solution Architect / Director
Ennoble Consultancy Australia
http://www.ennoble.com.au
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168

Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

allfriends1990
The processor of server is having 2 cores and support hyper threading.
I tried tiling the map but i need some layers as normal legend panel layers and some layers like satellite layers as base layers(tiled layers) when i tried same the map display is inconsistent

some layers are visible and tiled layers are not visible.....even if they are in range of visibility

i tried  using JPG format instead of PNG format waves off the transparency and degrades the image quality