Saving a CRS EPSG 4326 project as CRS EPSG 3857

Saving a CRS EPSG 4326 project as CRS EPSG 3857

Patrick Dunford-2
Good day

I have some Qgis map projects that were originally in EPSG 4326 that I
am converting to EPSG 3857 without OTF transformation.

All of the layers in the projects have been resaved as EPSG:3857 layers
and display as expected in the map canvas.

In the projects I have changed the project CRS in the project properties
to EPSG:3857 and saved the project into a new project file.

However at the moment there is a problem with the coordinates that are
displayed at the bottom of the map canvas window. The coordinates being
displayed are EPSG:4326 coordinates, not the ones for EPSG:3857 that I
have changed the project properties into.

Furthermore I have looked in the project's source file and found it
still references EPSG:4326 within the file. Specifically the section
containing this reference. This section is near the bottom of the
project file.

</layerorder>
   <properties>
     <WMSContactOrganization type="QString"></WMSContactOrganization>
     <Identify>
       <disabledLayers type="QStringList"/>
     </Identify>
     <WMSServiceAbstract type="QString"></WMSServiceAbstract>
     <WMSUseLayerIDs type="bool">false</WMSUseLayerIDs>
     <WMSUrl type="QString"></WMSUrl>
     <SpatialRefSys>
       <ProjectCrs type="QString">EPSG:4326</ProjectCrs>
       <ProjectionsEnabled type="int">1</ProjectionsEnabled>
       <ProjectCRSID type="int">3452</ProjectCRSID>
       <ProjectCRSProj4String type="QString">+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84
+no_defs</ProjectCRSProj4String>
     </SpatialRefSys>

How can I complete the conversion of my project file to the new CRS so
that the coordinates displayed in the map canvas are the correct ones
for that CRS.

Re: Saving a CRS EPSG 4326 project as CRS EPSG 3857

Andre Joost
Hi Patrick,

Am 07.07.18 um 06:52 schrieb Patrick Dunford:

> However at the moment there is a problem with the coordinates that are
> displayed at the bottom of the map canvas window. The coordinates being
> displayed are EPSG:4326 coordinates, not the ones for EPSG:3857 that I
> have changed the project properties into.

In the Project Properties, have a look in the Gerenral tab. You can set
the coordinate display either todegrees or map units. For EPSG:4326 it
was the same, for EPSG:3857 it is different.

> Furthermore I have looked in the project's source file and found it
> still references EPSG:4326 within the file. Specifically the section
> containing this reference. This section is near the bottom of the
> project file.
>
> </layerorder>
>    <properties>
>      <WMSContactOrganization type="QString"></WMSContactOrganization>
>      <Identify>
>        <disabledLayers type="QStringList"/>
>      </Identify>
>      <WMSServiceAbstract type="QString"></WMSServiceAbstract>
>      <WMSUseLayerIDs type="bool">false</WMSUseLayerIDs>
>      <WMSUrl type="QString"></WMSUrl>
>      <SpatialRefSys>
>        <ProjectCrs type="QString">EPSG:4326</ProjectCrs>
>        <ProjectionsEnabled type="int">1</ProjectionsEnabled>
>        <ProjectCRSID type="int">3452</ProjectCRSID>
>        <ProjectCRSProj4String type="QString">+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84
> +no_defs</ProjectCRSProj4String>
>      </SpatialRefSys>

It might be necessary to re-add the WMS to your project using the new
project CRS, or the WMS does not offer EPSG:3857.

HTH,
andre Joost

Re: Saving a CRS EPSG 4326 project as CRS EPSG 3857

Patrick Dunford-2
Thanks