SVG files in QGIS print layout

Newcomb, Doug
Hi Folks,
I recently made up a poster using QGIS 3.10.2 and ran across a few issues with SVG files when using add image.

1) I use Inkscape 0.92.4 on windows to create customized North Arrows.  When adding a large text  N to the SVG file, it will not appear until I convert the text to a path using object to path.

2) Exporting a graph from R to an svg file  using:
svg(file="graph_filename.svg", width=7, height=7).
When using add image to the print layout, none of the text associated with the graph is visible.  Loading the svg file in Inkscape , the text shows up fine, but the convert text to a path method does not work on these files.

Before I dive into this further, is this known behavior that is being worked on? Do folks have an easy fix?

Yes, I could use png files, but vector graphics look better 🙂

Doug

Doug Newcomb - Cartographer
USFWS
551F Pylon Dr
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]

Re: SVG files in QGIS print layout

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Doug,

Can you share your SVG file? I'd like to have a look at it. Inkscape sometimes does peculiar things to SVG text elements (like adding complex matrices where they aren't really necessary). That might lead to issues with QGIS, because QGIS doesn't support the full SVG profile, but only the SVG tiny part of the specification.

Inkscape also offers several different optimizations when saving to different SVG versions. One might be better suitable for QGIS than the other. But I'd need to see your file first to give recommendations.

Unfortunately, you are limited to the SVG tiny profile when importing SVG into QGIS. QGIS relies on the QT library for SVG support and QT only supports SVG Tiny (and from this specification only the static part). See https://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/

There is nothing easy we can do to improve the situation. The solution would be to improve the qt library first to also render more than SVG tiny, more features from the full profile that Inkscape normally produces. This would require financial investments into the QT library and also patience, until this ends up in QGIS, because it would then require a newer qt version.

Greetings,

Andreas