ST_Angle(P1, P2, P3, P4), clockwise or counterclockwise ?

ST_Angle(P1, P2, P3, P4), clockwise or counterclockwise ?

Rémi Cura
Hey dear list,

here is a proposal for a new functiono ST_Angle
https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/97

Discussing this with @dbaston, it occured that maybe you would prefer to have the angle counterclockwise (more a math rule) rather than clockwise(more a GIS rule).

I choose clockwise because T_Azimuth already use clockwise.

It's an easy change, so please tell me what's the best.

Cheers,
Rémi-C

Re: ST_Angle(P1, P2, P3, P4), clockwise or counterclockwise ?

Sandro Santilli-2
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 04:43:54PM +0100, Rémi Cura wrote:

> Hey dear list,
>
> here is a proposal for a new functiono ST_Angle
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/97
>
> Discussing this with @dbaston, it occured that maybe you would prefer to
> have the angle counterclockwise (more a math rule) rather than
> clockwise(more a GIS rule).
>
> I choose clockwise because T_Azimuth already use clockwise.
>
> It's an easy change, so please tell me what's the best.

I think being consistent with ST_Azimuth makes the most sense.

--strk;