SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

Ariel Neri
Hi, i´m using Geonode 2.6. Neather I, nor the users of our geonode portal could find the way to establish the correct SRC on their layers (I thought they could from the metadata edition section but i was wrong), apart from the admin interface or Geoserver UI.
When a new shapefile is uploaded, a default SRC is set (40400), no matter what the *.prj inidcates. Only EPSG:4326 shapefiles are set correctly (most of our work is on UTM). Is this a miss-configuration on our GeoNode or that´s the way it works?
If it´s a local problem, would you indicate what files should i search for the problem?

At the moment i´m correcting that from Geoserver UI, but it would be very usefull if non-admin users could do it themselves on their layers.

Thanks

Re: SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

mentaer
Hi,

I don't have a problem with uploading data in UTM19S in V2.0, so I guess it's either a degression (not likely) or an  issue with your *.prj file/definition strings. My shapefile are mostly from QGIS, though.

Cheers,
Stefan

> El 03-10-2017, a las 10:24, Ariel Neri <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hi, i´m using Geonode 2.6. Neather I, nor the users of our geonode portal could find the way to establish the correct SRC on their layers (I thought they could from the metadata edition section but i was wrong), apart from the admin interface or Geoserver UI.
> When a new shapefile is uploaded, a default SRC is set (40400), no matter what the *.prj inidcates. Only EPSG:4326 shapefiles are set correctly (most of our work is on UTM). Is this a miss-configuration on our GeoNode or that´s the way it works?
> If it´s a local problem, would you indicate what files should i search for the problem?
>
> At the moment i´m correcting that from Geoserver UI, but it would be very usefull if non-admin users could do it themselves on their layers.
>
> Thanks

Re: SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

DanielV
We've encountered some issues with malformed .prj files. QGis would recognize them fine but once imported into GeoNode, the projection would end up wrong. If I remember correctly, it was how ESRI defined the SIRGAS2000 datum. But this was some time ago, using GeoNode 2.4. Not sure if it's fixed.

One work-around that we did, to debug the problem, was delete the .prj file and redefine the shapefile projection in QGis. Then things would work.

Cheers
Daniel

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:42 AM Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I don't have a problem with uploading data in UTM19S in V2.0, so I guess it's either a degression (not likely) or an  issue with your *.prj file/definition strings. My shapefile are mostly from QGIS, though.

Cheers,
Stefan

> El 03-10-2017, a las 10:24, Ariel Neri <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hi, i´m using Geonode 2.6. Neather I, nor the users of our geonode portal could find the way to establish the correct SRC on their layers (I thought they could from the metadata edition section but i was wrong), apart from the admin interface or Geoserver UI.
> When a new shapefile is uploaded, a default SRC is set (40400), no matter what the *.prj inidcates. Only EPSG:4326 shapefiles are set correctly (most of our work is on UTM). Is this a miss-configuration on our GeoNode or that´s the way it works?
> If it´s a local problem, would you indicate what files should i search for the problem?
>
> At the moment i´m correcting that from Geoserver UI, but it would be very usefull if non-admin users could do it themselves on their layers.
>
> Thanks

Re: SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

Ariel Neri
Thanks for your tips. They helped me find the problem. As Daniel said, it was related to malformed .prj files. Most of the shapefiles were generated with R Studio. The prj files (slightly diferent in R) are well recognized by QGis an ArcGis, but not by GeoNode. Files reprojected and exported in both  QGis and ArcGis are well referenced in GeoNode (as Stefan confirmed).
Thanks for your help.
cheers

Ariel

We've encountered some issues with malformed .prj files. QGis would recognize them fine but once imported into GeoNode, the projection would end up wrong. If I remember correctly, it was how ESRI defined the SIRGAS2000 datum. But this was some time ago, using GeoNode 2.4. Not sure if it's fixed.

One work-around that we did, to debug the problem, was delete the .prj file and redefine the shapefile projection in QGis. Then things would work.

Cheers
Daniel

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:42 AM Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I don't have a problem with uploading data in UTM19S in V2.0, so I guess it's either a degression (not likely) or an  issue with your *.prj file/definition strings. My shapefile are mostly from QGIS, though.

Cheers,
Stefan

> El 03-10-2017, a las 10:24, Ariel Neri <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hi, i´m using Geonode 2.6. Neather I, nor the users of our geonode portal could find the way to establish the correct SRC on their layers (I thought they could from the metadata edition section but i was wrong), apart from the admin interface or Geoserver UI.
> When a new shapefile is uploaded, a default SRC is set (40400), no matter what the *.prj inidcates. Only EPSG:4326 shapefiles are set correctly (most of our work is on UTM). Is this a miss-configuration on our GeoNode or that´s the way it works?
> If it´s a local problem, would you indicate what files should i search for the problem?
>
> At the moment i´m correcting that from Geoserver UI, but it would be very usefull if non-admin users could do it themselves on their layers.
>
> Thanks

Re: SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

DanielV
An update. I don't think it's GeoNode problem but rather a GeoServer issue that does not recognize the proj file

Here is an issue related to the problem:

https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/issues/1231

So basically, if you try to upload the malformed file directly into GeoServer, it will fail.

Cheers
Daniel

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 11:51 AM Ariel Neri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your tips. They helped me find the problem. As Daniel said, it was related to malformed .prj files. Most of the shapefiles were generated with R Studio. The prj files (slightly diferent in R) are well recognized by QGis an ArcGis, but not by GeoNode. Files reprojected and exported in both  QGis and ArcGis are well referenced in GeoNode (as Stefan confirmed).
Thanks for your help.
cheers

Ariel

We've encountered some issues with malformed .prj files. QGis would recognize them fine but once imported into GeoNode, the projection would end up wrong. If I remember correctly, it was how ESRI defined the SIRGAS2000 datum. But this was some time ago, using GeoNode 2.4. Not sure if it's fixed.

One work-around that we did, to debug the problem, was delete the .prj file and redefine the shapefile projection in QGis. Then things would work.

Cheers
Daniel

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:42 AM Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I don't have a problem with uploading data in UTM19S in V2.0, so I guess it's either a degression (not likely) or an  issue with your *.prj file/definition strings. My shapefile are mostly from QGIS, though.

Cheers,
Stefan

> El 03-10-2017, a las 10:24, Ariel Neri <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hi, i´m using Geonode 2.6. Neather I, nor the users of our geonode portal could find the way to establish the correct SRC on their layers (I thought they could from the metadata edition section but i was wrong), apart from the admin interface or Geoserver UI.
> When a new shapefile is uploaded, a default SRC is set (40400), no matter what the *.prj inidcates. Only EPSG:4326 shapefiles are set correctly (most of our work is on UTM). Is this a miss-configuration on our GeoNode or that´s the way it works?
> If it´s a local problem, would you indicate what files should i search for the problem?
>
> At the moment i´m correcting that from Geoserver UI, but it would be very usefull if non-admin users could do it themselves on their layers.
>
> Thanks

Re: SRC not established from *.prj. Non admin Users can´t select SRC of layers they upload.

Paolo Corti
Yes, looks like a GeoServer issue.

I would suggest to check this with the GeoServer list and see if it is
worth to open a ticket

regards

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer