SQL Spatial Server enhancement

Romica Dascalescu

Hi,

Recently we’ve done some improvement to the SQL Spatial Server in order to be able to support Z & M coordinates. Please see ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/ticket/763

In order to be able to do so we had to move away from WKB format, that offers only 2D support.

Based on Microsoft documents we could move to the Microsoft geometry format (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee320529.aspx) allowing us to have full support for Z and M, and arcs in the future release.

Moving to the new format we hit a problem; since we used ODBC and SQL_LONGVARBINARY to bind (WKB) geometries we got an error from Microsoft default driver - Operand type clash: image is incompatible with geometry.

This might be related to the fact Microsoft plans to remove image data types in the future releases. “ntext, text, and image data types will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using these data types in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use them. Use nvarchar(max), varchar(max), and varbinary(max) instead.

We could solve this by using SQL_VARBINARY binding, however this did not fixed everything. Using SQL_VARBINARY we can bind geometries with size less than 8000 in Microsoft default driver. In case we had a bigger geometry an error “Invalid precision value” showed up.

We could get rid of all problems by using the new SQL Server Native Client 10.0. This allowed us to bind big geometries using SQL_VARBINARY.

Since this enhancement generated a small requirement (SQL Server Native Client 10.0 must be installed) in order to be able to use the provider, please ensure you have installed the “SQL Server Native Client 10.0” before trying to use the provider.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this enhancement.

Thanks,

Romy.

Re: SQL Spatial Server enhancement

Jackie Ng
Hi Romy,

Was this provider always a windows-only one? Did this provider ever work in Linux?

If it's true that this was always windows-only, then I have no problems with this new requirement.

We already turn off most RDBMS providers by default in the MapGuide Open Source installer due to external dependencies. If the user turns any of these providers on in the installation phase, it is already assumed that they know that extra configuration steps are required post-installation.

- Jackie

Re: SQL Spatial Server enhancement

Romica Dascalescu
Hi Jackie,

SQL Spatial Server is built and use on Windows only. Microsoft tools/applications do not like Linux too much :)

Romy.

Re: SQL Spatial Server enhancement

Gabriele Monfardini
Hi all,

> SQL Spatial Server is built and use on Windows only. Microsoft tools/applications do not like Linux too much :)

probably I'm missing some obvious point.
SQL Server is surely on Windows but FDO Providers can be used on Linux
(e.g. in MapGuide Open Source).

Is FDO SQL Server provider already Windows only (can be used only in
FDO for Windows) or it will become imposing to use SQL Server Native
Client?

Regards,

Gabriele Monfardini

Re: SQL Spatial Server enhancement

Romica Dascalescu
Hi Gabriele,

I'm not sure what you mean by FDO Providers in context of SQL Spatial Server provider. I was referring to SQL Spatial Server provider only.
SQL Spatial Server provider code has a common part with other providers which still can be built on Linux (e.g. MySQL provider still can be built and used on Linux) and a Specific part which can be built only on Windows.
That's why you can build and use SQL Spatial Server provider only on Windows.

Sure you can build and use SQL Spatial Server provider on Linux if you can find a driver which fits all requirements of the provider related to the driver.

Romy.