SOSI support in QGIS

123

SOSI support in QGIS

Stott, James

Hi all,

Just wondered if anything more has happened with this?

As it stands, I get an option for SOSI files in the file open dialog of 64 bit master, but not 32 bit. (SOSI is the data standard in Norway for those that don’t know).

In 64 bit, when I select a file for opening, it comes up with another dialog (similar to when you open up a gpx file) where you choose the geometry you want to load from the file. After I have selected what I want and push ok, I just get an error message saying that the data is not a valid data source.

This happens on both mine and a colleagues machine. Does this affect others too?

I have also installed the gdal-sosi package in osgeo4w. I am using Windows 7 64 Bit, osgeo4w for install. Current QGIS version is d4b07a.

If SOSI files do not open in QGIS, we should remove the option from the open file dialog window. Otherwise I think people here in Norway will have a bad experience with QGIS and SOSI.

Regards,

James Stott

SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL

Hi James,

and sorry for not having answered your earlier email on that issue.

On Windows I can reproduce your issue too. However, given that it worked on Mac, I suspect this is a packaging problem…

In other words my fault. I shall try to fix it with an update of the gdal-sosi package asap.

Yet, the Norwegian mapping authority mentioned that a 64bit build of the OpenFYBA library would be very much experimental… So no success guaranteed.

If we do not get it workin,g we would probably have to remove the gdal-sosi package (until it works properly).

Cheers

Stefan

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Stott, James

Hei Stefan,

Thanks for looking at this again.

Do you know why the SOSI option doesn’t appear in 32 bit version?

With the release of 2.4 a day or so away, I wonder if its best to just remove the SOSI option from the file dialog box for the 2.4 release? That way people won’t be under the impression that QGIS can open SOSI when it can’t?

Don’t know if anyone else agrees?

James

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Larry_S
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Stott, James <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hei Stefan,

Thanks for looking at this again.

Do you know why the SOSI option doesn’t appear in 32 bit version?

With the release of 2.4 a day or so away, I wonder if its best to just remove the SOSI option from the file dialog box for the 2.4 release? That way people won’t be under the impression that QGIS can open SOSI when it can’t?

Are you sure it is specifically QGIS that can't open the file? Have you tried GDAL directly. If there are problems with GDAL on your platform for SOSI, but it works on others, I don't see how this should limit what is an available feature in QGIS. It would then require fixing GDAL, or its packaging, in this regard.

Please verify.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

Don’t know if anyone else agrees?

James

SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL

Hi again,

Now I rebuilt the 32-bit package based on GDAL 1.11.0 which is the GDAL version QGIS is build against (the old package on OSGeo4W was built against GDAL 1.10) and tested in QGIS 2.3 (QGIS code revision  39eaff9).

The problem is now the same, James described for the 64bit version. However, ogrinfo gives no error messages and displays the content of the SOSI file and all layers just fine. So maybe it is not only a packaging issue?

James, what does your 64bit ogrinfo say when run with your SOSI file? And does ogr2ogr work for you in 64bit?

Cheers

Stefan

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Stott, James
OK I have checked this quickly this morning on my machine at home as I am not around for the next week. Only difference at home is Windows 8. Updated both 32 bit (to 39eaff9) and 64 bit (to 2d1e983) OSGeo4W this morning.

I still do not get the option for SOSI files in 32 bit QGIS in the files of type drop down menu in the open file dialog window. The SOSI option is avaiable in 64 bit.

The 64 bit version still gives the invalid data source error after trying to open the SOSI file.

The SOSI file I have tested with is the naturvernområde dataset from Miljødirektoratet (I have downloaded only data for Rogaland fylke - data available from here http://karteksport.miljodirektoratet.no/#page=tab1).

ogrinfo reports correctly on both 32 and 64 bit versions and ogr2ogr will convert sosi files to shapefiles in my test.

Commands used were:

ogrinfo NATVERNOMR.SOS
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" output NATVERNOMR.SOS

Both sets of output shapefiles open fine in QGIS.

Regards,

James

SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL
Hi James,

>I still do not get the option for SOSI files in 32 bit QGIS in the files of type drop down menu in the open file dialog window. The SOSI option is avaiable in 64 bit.
That is because the gdal-sosi plugin in 32bit OSGeo4W was built against GDAL 1.10 (and not the 1.11 version QGIS 2.3 / 2.4 is (will be) using. I shall update the package based on GDAL 1.11 asap.

>The 64 bit version still gives the invalid data source error after trying to open the SOSI file.
>The SOSI file I have tested with is the naturvernområde dataset from Miljødirektoratet (I have downloaded only data for Rogaland fylke - data available from >here http://karteksport.miljodirektoratet.no/#page=tab1).
>ogrinfo reports correctly on both 32 and 64 bit versions and ogr2ogr will convert sosi files to shapefiles in my test.

I can confirm the behavior you describe on Windows (both 32 and 64bit). Given that GDAL (using the gdal-sosi plugin from OSGeo4W) handles SOSI files without problems, the issue must be somewhere in the QGIS-GDAL interface. No idea what the reason might be...

Meanwhile I also tested on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (where I compiled GDAL 1.11 with SOSI support and then the latest QGIS master). On Ubuntu I can open SOSI files in QGIS without any problems... So this is a Windows specific issue, which makes me think that dropping the option to open SOSI from QGIS completely would be a bit too radical...

Cheers
Stefan

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Stott, James
So it Works for Mac and Linux users? Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.

Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users? I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.

This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.

James
>I still do not get the option for SOSI files in 32 bit QGIS in the files of type drop down menu in the open file dialog window. The SOSI option is avaiable in 64 bit.
That is because the gdal-sosi plugin in 32bit OSGeo4W was built against GDAL 1.10 (and not the 1.11 version QGIS 2.3 / 2.4 is (will be) using. I shall update the package based on GDAL 1.11 asap.

>The 64 bit version still gives the invalid data source error after trying to open the SOSI file.
>The SOSI file I have tested with is the naturvernområde dataset from Miljødirektoratet (I have downloaded only data for Rogaland fylke - data available from >here http://karteksport.miljodirektoratet.no/#page=tab1).
>ogrinfo reports correctly on both 32 and 64 bit versions and ogr2ogr will convert sosi files to shapefiles in my test.

I can confirm the behavior you describe on Windows (both 32 and 64bit). Given that GDAL (using the gdal-sosi plugin from OSGeo4W) handles SOSI files without problems, the issue must be somewhere in the QGIS-GDAL interface. No idea what the reason might be...

Meanwhile I also tested on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (where I compiled GDAL 1.11 with SOSI support and then the latest QGIS master). On Ubuntu I can open SOSI files in QGIS without any problems... So this is a Windows specific issue, which makes me think that dropping the option to open SOSI from QGIS completely would be a bit too radical...

Cheers
Stefan
SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL
>So it Works for Mac and Linux users?
Yes, seems to work there.

>Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.
I doubt it, since the installer is also built based on OSGeo4W, if I am not mistaken.

>Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users?
No idea. Any developer / packager who would be willing to help us tracing down the problem on Win? Since a fix would be the best solution...

>I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.
>This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.
I see your point...

Cheers
Stefan

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Larry_S
Hi James,

Can you share the dataset from Miljødirektoratet that you are testing? I can't get Google to translate the pages to English.

Regards,

Larry

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>So it Works for Mac and Linux users?
Yes, seems to work there.

>Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.
I doubt it, since the installer is also built based on OSGeo4W, if I am not mistaken.

>Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users?
No idea. Any developer / packager who would be willing to help us tracing down the problem on Win? Since a fix would be the best solution...

>I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.
>This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.
I see your point...

Cheers
Stefan
SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL

Hi Larry,

Tanks for having a look at this.

I shall send you the file off-list…

Cheers

Stefan

Can you share the dataset from Miljødirektoratet that you are testing? I can't get Google to translate the pages to English.

Regards,

Larry

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>So it Works for Mac and Linux users?

Yes, seems to work there.

>Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.

I doubt it, since the installer is also built based on OSGeo4W, if I am not mistaken.

>Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users?

No idea. Any developer / packager who would be willing to help us tracing down the problem on Win? Since a fix would be the best solution...

>I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.
>This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.

I see your point...

Cheers
Stefan

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Larry_S
Hi,

Hmm. I had no issues opening that file up on Mac [0]. The only other thing I can think of is to ensure the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH is set in the environment, so the plugins can be found at run-time by QGIS/GDAL. I don't think that should be an issue for an OSGeo4W install, though. To be sure, you can try setting it in Options -> System -> Environment and see if that helps.

If the plugin wasn't found by GDAL, then the file filter for SOSI would not show up in QGIS's file browse dialog's combobox for opening a vector layer. If you choose *.* (all files) and try to load a .sos file, then it will throw the invalid source error in the message bar, because GDAL never loaded the plugin.

Sorry, won't have time to test on any other platforms for a couple of days.
Regards,

Larry

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:50 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Tanks for having a look at this.

I shall send you the file off-list…

Cheers

Stefan

Can you share the dataset from Miljødirektoratet that you are testing? I can't get Google to translate the pages to English.

Regards,

Larry

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>So it Works for Mac and Linux users?

Yes, seems to work there.

>Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.

I doubt it, since the installer is also built based on OSGeo4W, if I am not mistaken.

>Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users?

No idea. Any developer / packager who would be willing to help us tracing down the problem on Win? Since a fix would be the best solution...

>I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.
>This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.

I see your point...

Cheers
Stefan

SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your efforts. I understand that you are especially busy right now…

I checked GDAL_DRIVER_PATH  and it was - just as you suspected for OSGeo4W – set properly to “C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins”.

Just like in James case, SOSI is listed in the combo-box in QGIS and I get the dialog for selecting among the three layers in the file. When I try to load one of them I get the “Invalid data source” error message.

GDAL in the same OSGeo4W installation reads and converts the SOSI file without any issues. However, I noticed that GDAL was also less picky with the versions. While the SOSI plugin compiled against GDAL 1.10 does not show up in QGIS 2.3 (build against GDAL 1.11), GDAL 1.11 itself has no problems with that plugin either.

Maybe some subtle differences in compiler settings between Jürgens build of GDAL and my build of the SOSI-plugin may cause the problems here? I assume you use same compiler for GDAL and QGIS on Mac (like I do on Ubuntu)…

When I built the SOSI plugin I tried to follow packaging instructions closely. I used MS Visual Studio Express 2010 (compiler toolset v100) for the 32bit build (SDK 7.1 for the 64bit build), set MSVC_VER=1600 in GDALs nmake.opt, added SOSI support and kept default settings in the other cases.

Cheers

Stefan

Can you share the dataset from Miljødirektoratet that you are testing? I can't get Google to translate the pages to English.

Regards,

Larry

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>So it Works for Mac and Linux users?

Yes, seems to work there.

>Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.

I doubt it, since the installer is also built based on OSGeo4W, if I am not mistaken.

>Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users?

No idea. Any developer / packager who would be willing to help us tracing down the problem on Win? Since a fix would be the best solution...

>I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.
>This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.

I see your point...

Cheers
Stefan

Can you share the dataset from Miljødirektoratet that you are testing? I can't get Google to translate the pages to English.

Regards,

Larry

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>So it Works for Mac and Linux users?

Yes, seems to work there.

>Does this work with the installer download of QGIS for Windows? I havent actually tried that.

I doubt it, since the installer is also built based on OSGeo4W, if I am not mistaken.

>Is it possible to drop it for just Windows users?

No idea. Any developer / packager who would be willing to help us tracing down the problem on Win? Since a fix would be the best solution...

>I just think we will end up with a lot of users (especially as Windows will possbily be the most used platform) who will get frustrated that they cant open these files despite it looking like they should be able to. Better to wait until 2.6 in my opinion.
>This is a shame as we now have a nearly complete Norwegian translation in place for 2.4, so SOSI support and a translation are two very good arguements for adopting QGIS here.

I see your point...

Cheers
Stefan

SBL

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

SBL

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for having a look at this issue too.

The thing is that GDAL (or more precise OGR) opens SOSI files properly but QGIS from OSGeo4W does not (this issue does not occur on Mac and Linux).

In QGIS the contained layers (points, lines, polygons) can be identified (we get the dialog to choose a layer), so also QGIS can access the SOSI file in principle. But these layers themselves are rejected as “Invalid data source” (tested with different SOSI files). OGR converts all layers from the file QGIS rejects e.g. to SQLite correctly.

Cheers

Stefan

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

klausenlie
Hi!

I have sent a mail to SBL and found this thread which I could reply to.
If I can be of any assitance I will help the best I can.
I experience the same problems on my Windows machine with QGIS and .sos files as some of you have reported.
I am on version 2.4.0 of QGIS.
I have downloaded a set of .sos files from the mapping autorities of Norway.

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

klausenlie
Hi again.
Some of you have said something about opening sosi-files
in QGIS. I myselft haven't found any other place than in the
file explorer, but opening from there i get the error message.
I have tried to look in the toolbox for gdal but havnet found anything there
for sosi.

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Andre Joost
Am 05.07.2014 23:40, schrieb klausenlie:
> Hi again.
> Some of you have said something about opening sosi-files
> in QGIS. I myselft haven't found any other place than in the
> file explorer, but opening from there i get the error message.
> I have tried to look in the toolbox for gdal but havnet found anything there
> for sosi.

The GDAL mentioned is only available if you use the OSGEO4W Shell icon.
It is a command line application. Typing ogrinfo --formats lists all
available vector data formats. You will find "SOSI" there if it is
correctly installed. The list is not sorted alphabetically.

If SOSI is listed, you can transform the file into other formats using
ogr2ogr.

HTH,
André Jooost

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

klausenlie
Hi Joost. Thank you for your answer!

Do you know the sosi library?

I manages to use the shell and I am creating shapfiles from sosi.
I have some problems with the placename files though. They only show up as dots.

Is using only the .shp files the usual way to handle .shp files, or do you use the other files as well when it comes to displaying and using the shapefiles as part a map?

I`m not familiar with this a 100%

Re: SOSI support in QGIS

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi James,

On Thu, 26. Jun 2014 at 09:14:18 +0000, Stott, James wrote:
> Just wondered if anything more has happened with this?

Please try with the latest gdal-sosi package (1.11.0-2).  QGIS opens the
dataset several times, but sosi did file locking on windows and that prevented
that.   I removed it from fyba (isn't done on unix either) and now it appears
to work.

The new set of gdal packages also adds GeoPDF support and has some fixes for
Pg, NAS and mssql, that didn't make it into 1.11.0.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden

123