SLD styling in production environment

Ville Koivisto-2

Dear list,

I need start working on with a bunch of styling with different layers. Knowing Geoserver, alternatives are either SLD or CSS. Could someone more experienced please enlighten me, what might be the most efficient way of producing SLD styles when number of styled layers is high?

Should I start learning CSS and go with that?

Should I produce SLD styles with QGIS and then repair their mismatches which are caused by version conflict? Or just start writing them in Geoserver panel? Use Udig that can produce SLD 1.0.0 as I’ve heard?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ville Koivisto

+35840 701 4283

GIS Expert

Suomen kuntotekniikka Oy

KUNTO TEKNIIKKA logo transparent FF9900

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Olyster
Hi,

to me YSLD (extension) offers more readability.

Have a look at it.

To me Geoserver SLD style editor is the best tool since you don't start from
scratch : if you have a polygon layer, start with the predifined polygon sld
and modify it.

I didn't work very much with it but there's also an independent sld editor :

https://github.com/robward-scisys/sldeditor/releases

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-f3786390.html

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Ian Turton
Depending on how you like styling things, if you like clicking a mouse you may find SLDEditor is worth installing but if you prefer a more "code" based approach then I would use the SLD editor in GeoServer. Unless you already know CSS (and like it) I would steer clear of it.

But this is mostly my prejudices showing (and my RSI from too much mouse work playing up).

Ian

image001.png (13K) Download Attachment
image001.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Nauwanga Nauwanga
Hello All,

I use Udig for sophisticated stylings, like layers with categorized symbologies and labeling something QGIS does not do very well.
I then import the SLD in Geoserver.

Best
Amelia

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM Ian Turton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Simone Giannecchini
Dear VIlle,
if you have experience in GeoServer and plan to stick with it, my suggestion is CSS; while it is geoserver specific it is much more compact than SLD and mostly equivalent.
The geoserver editor has also been improved lately to be more user friendly.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM Ville Koivisto <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Arnaud L.
Le 07/11/2018 à 16:27, Olyster a écrit :
> to me YSLD (extension) offers more readability.

I also work with YSLD.
It's main advantage is that it is a 1-1 replacement for SLD, but way
more compact and readable (and writable, since I write all the styles
manually in a text editor).
You can convert YSLD to SLD and vice-versa via the REST interface. Very
useful.
The problem is that the documentation is a bit harder to search thant
the SLD documentation. Google indexing of the YSLD doc is not very good,
and many examples that used to exist in YSLD are now in CSS.

--
Arnaud

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Ville Koivisto-2

Hi to all,

Thanks you very much for all the input. Five replies and four different suggestions though.  I guess people are divided into different camps with this one 😊

The problem that I find with the Geoserver’s own SLD editor is that for me it often validates SLD successfully, but when I implement it in a layer, it still doesn’t work (I’m offered a wms file, which implies broken styling afaik). Debugging is tedious since SLD files can be so long.

I guess SLDeditor isn’t cabaple of importing SLD file from QGIS and then exporting it to a functioning SLD 1.0.0 file to be used in Geoserver? That would be really nice. In the very best scenario SLD export in QGIS would be fixed so that I could instruct our not-so-technical clients to produce their own styles with relative ease. I understand that this is still not happening in the near future.

I guess I’ll have to start learning CSS.

Best regards,

Ville Koivisto

+35840 701 4283

GIS Expert

Suomen kuntotekniikka Oy

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Johannes Weskamm
Hi,

Just want to add another option for a simple, what you see is what you
get SLD-editor:

Demo: https://terrestris.github.io/geostyler/

Code and documentation: https://github.com/terrestris/geostyler

Introduction: https://www.terrestris.de/en/2018/08/06/das-projekt-geostyler/

News: https://www.terrestris.de/en/2018/09/12/neues-vom-geostyler/

This project is still a work in progress, but it think its already usable!

Regards,

Johannes Weskamm

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Phil Scadden

There are various ways styling go wrong but your choice of SLD editor or styling language don’t have a lot to do with it. If a SLD validates and draws a legend, (you need to check preview as well as there are valid SLD expressions that geoserver cant draw ) but fails on layer preview it is nearly always (maybe every time) a mismatch between property (or possibly layer) names used in the SLD and what is actually in the layer that the SLD is being applied to. Validate by itself isn’t enough. Unless you have a style editor that is tightly integrated to layer it being applied to, this is always going to be problem. All of the options work in a production environment but all of them require testing on actual layer. If you don’t have a copy of the production environment on a test server, then you can safely test by creating/editing the style with a new name, add it as an allowed style to the layer and in layer preview, press the … and change the style

cid:image001.png@01D4780C.628AA0E0

If it fails, the geoserver log is usually pretty good at identifying the offending property in the SLD.

[...]

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Re: SLD styling in production environment

geowolf
That's harsh ;-)
What did I do so bad in CSS that people are better staying away from it?

Cheers
Andrea

Le 08/11/2018 à 17:34, Johannes Weskamm a écrit :

> Just want to add another option for a simple, what you see is what you
> get SLD-editor:
>
> Demo: https://terrestris.github.io/geostyler/
>
> Code and documentation: https://github.com/terrestris/geostyler
>
> Introduction: https://www.terrestris.de/en/2018/08/06/das-projekt-geostyler/
>
> News: https://www.terrestris.de/en/2018/09/12/neues-vom-geostyler/
>

> This project is still a work in progress, but it think its already usable!

Very nice project !
Are there by chance any plans for YSLD/CSS formats ?

Cheers

--
Arnaud

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Ville Koivisto-2

Thanks for the detailed answer. It’s a good hint to check geoserver logs, I didn’t realize that.

I still think QGIS/Geoserver SLD matching would is important since clients (municipalities in my case) are often capable of creating a style in QGIS, but not writing CSS or SLD from a template. If we’re speaking about planners or engineers and so on, not about GIS personnel.

[...]

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:08 PM Ville Koivisto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer. It’s a good hint to check geoserver logs, I didn’t realize that.

I still think QGIS/Geoserver SLD matching would is important since clients (municipalities in my case) are often capable of creating a style in QGIS, but not writing CSS or SLD from a template. If we’re speaking about planners or engineers and so on, not about GIS personnel.

Hi Ville,
there has been some work on that direction, but it's suffering from lack of resourcing.
A few years ago QGIS SLD generator was emitting invalid SLD (sometimes not even valid XML), I have worked on a bunch of fixes for that in the FOSS4G 2016 code sprint, in Bonn, that got merged, and are available
in the latest versions of QGIS 2.18.x. You can read about them in this blog post: https://www.geo-solutions.it/blog/qgis-sld-export/

Then GeoSolutions started a crowdfunding initiative in 2016, links here:
The crowdfunding failed (did not even reach 500EUR), but OpenGeoGroep stepped in and provided funding for one item, the labelling export, which then landed in QGIS 3.0.
OSGeo UK also provided some small funds that we are (hopefully) going to use to start the raster export item.

We'd need to rally together some of those public administrations you're talking about and have them fund some of that work,
I'm quite sure it's not going to happen in any other way.... the clear need for it has been there for years, but significant movement
happened only with single person initiatives crushing a lot of spare time on it, or organisations large enough to fund a chunk of the work.
I was happy to do to the initial work to get the ball rolling, but it's just too big to do on my own, and I've been disappointed by
the community behavior around it, have no plans to continue it in the future during my spare time.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

image003.png (11K) Download Attachment
image001.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: SLD styling in production environment

Ville Koivisto-2

Hi Andrea,

Thanks, I think this is not the first time you’ve pointed me to these resources. I’m surprised that you could only raise 500 euros…

Are there any future steps to be expected from anyone? Any public undertakings in order to develop the code? I’m not a developer myself, but I would definitely take a look out of interest. Geoserver/QGIS combo is quite well-spread in Finland.

Why even have SLD export in QGIS if it doesn’t match requirements in Geoserver?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM Ville Koivisto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Thanks, I think this is not the first time you’ve pointed me to these resources. I’m surprised that you could only raise 500 euros…

Are there any future steps to be expected from anyone? Any public undertakings in order to develop the code? I’m not a developer myself, but I would definitely take a look out of interest. Geoserver/QGIS combo is quite well-spread in Finland.

The only one we have right now is funding from OSGeo UK, which we'll probably use to get a raster export started.

Why even have SLD export in QGIS if it doesn’t match requirements in Geoserver?

The original SLD export work was done many years ago, exporting in SLD 1.1 in a time when GeoServer had real troubles reading it.
I don't know what was the original developers objective, GeoServer compatibility was surely not the goal (or if it was, it got very much missed)

I would also plug the sterling work of GeoCat-Bridge https://www.geocat.net/home/bridge/ in converting ArcGIS styles to SLD. ( I am customer of them). Pretty common to have municipal using ArcGIS.

[...]

As far as i know, QGIS Style and Mapbox Style parsing is going to be
implemented next.

CSS and YSLD are missing, but pull request are welcome! :-)

Greetings,

Johannes