SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

oertz
Dear list, from deegree3, there is an implementation of the use of characters from true type fonts (TTF) to define a Mark-based PointSymbolizer. The documentation says "you have to identify the identifier (glyph index) of your choosen character in the selected font-order, to set it in the ". There is an example with 99 ... but what is a glyph index ? As a user, what should I put in there ? It doesn't seem to be interpreted as a character code (unicode) ... So, how do I know the glyph index to indicate in my SE instance for my letter F in my special font which represents a flower ? Did anyone of you all experiment a Mark with TTF ? Thanks a lot, Olivier.

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

Sebastian Goerke

Hi Olivier,

the glyph index is the counting of the symbols within your TTF. So the
99 means the 99th symbol from your TTF (so it is somehow the unicode
value). Are you sure, that you are using the right encoding?
Which value for the index for your "F" are you using?

Regards

Sebastian

- --
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19               53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 18496-0          fax ++49 +228 18496-29
http://www.lat-lon.de            http://www.deegree.org

Am 11.12.2012 13:24, schrieb oertz:
> Dear list, from deegree3, there is an implementation of the use of
> characters from true type fonts (TTF) to define a Mark-based
> PointSymbolizer. The documentation
> <http://wiki.deegree.org/deegreeWiki/HowToSE#Using_Characters_from_true_type_fonts_.28TTF.29>

says /"you have to identify the identifier (glyph index) of your choosen

> character in the selected font-order, to set it in the "/. There is
> an example with 99 ... but what is a glyph index ? As a user, what
> should I put in there ? It doesn't seem to be interpreted as a
> character code (unicode) ... So, how do I know the glyph index to
> indicate in my SE instance for my letter F in my special font which
> represents a flower ? Did anyone of you all experiment a Mark with
> TTF ? Thanks a lot, Olivier.
> at Nabble.com.

> Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add
> services Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

oertz
Thanks for the reply.

Let's describe my use case :
- seems I use deegree 3.1.2 (svn revision 33314 build@20120525-1315 by hudson)
- I work with utah demo, playing with the utah_cities.xml SE instance
- let's use a random font we can share : rebecca_symbols1.zip
- below my marker (see complete file utah_cities.xml) :
 <Mark>
  <OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf"/>
  <Format>ttf</Format>
  <MarkIndex>71</MarkIndex>
  <Fill>
   <SvgParameter name="fill">#FF0000</SvgParameter>
  </Fill>
</Mark>

According to my Font Manager, in this font, there is a glyph with unicode 71 (in decimal), it is the G letter, the 71th glyph, representing a smiley.

But I get a red square. What's wrong ?

Thanks a lot,
Olivier.

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

Blome, Guido (62-24)
Hi Olivier,

seems like your getting the default Mark "square" and it`s rendered red because of the provided fill Parameter.
Is the Online Resource realy available for deegree ?

But I`m not an expert, just another user

I`m marking Spots with SVG-Files.

Best regards

Guido Blome
Bundesstadt Bonn
Kataster- und Vermessungsamt
Stadthaus, Berliner Platz 2, 53111 Bonn
Telefon +49(0)2 28.77 3009
Telefax +49(0)2 28.77 2618
E-Mail [hidden email]
Internet www.bonn.de

- I work with utah demo, playing with the utah_cities.xml SE instance
- let's use a random font we can share :  rebecca_symbols1.zip
<http://www.fontspace.com/download/13375/fef88c48b97746c7adfd6d4cfaec8242/rebecca_symbols1.zip>
- below my marker (see complete file  utah_cities.xml
<http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5022268/utah_cities.xml>  ) :
 <Mark>
  <OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf"/>
  <Format>ttf</Format>
  <MarkIndex>71</MarkIndex>
  <Fill>
   <SvgParameter name="fill">#FF0000</SvgParameter>
  </Fill>
</Mark>

According to my Font Manager, in this font, there is a glyph with unicode 71
(in decimal), it is the G letter, the 71th glyph, representing a smiley.

But I get a red square. What's wrong ?

Thanks a lot,
Olivier.

_____________________________________

Bleiben Sie mit dem mehrmals in der Woche erscheinenden Newsletter 'BonnLive online' auf dem Laufenden. Informationen aus dem Rathaus, Veranstaltungstipps und aktuelle Nachrichten jetzt im Abo,
kostenlos unter www.bonn.de !

www.bonn.de/service/newsletter/bonn_live_online/index.html

Recyclingpapierfreundlichste Stadt Deutschlands 2010, 2011 und 2012.
Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss.

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

Sebastian Goerke
Hi,

the reason for the red square is actually the fill parameter. I will
search for another example for the TTF styling.
You can additionally check you logs, if the OnlineResource is really
available. There should be messages about the initialization of it.

Regards

Sebastian

> Hi Olivier,
>
> seems like your getting the default Mark "square" and it`s rendered red
> because of the provided fill Parameter.
> Is the Online Resource realy available for deegree ?
>
> But I`m not an expert, just another user
>
> I`m marking Spots with SVG-Files.
>
> Best regards
>
> Guido Blome
> Bundesstadt Bonn
> Kataster- und Vermessungsamt
> Stadthaus, Berliner Platz 2, 53111 Bonn
> Telefon +49(0)2 28.77 3009
> Telefax +49(0)2 28.77 2618
> E-Mail [hidden email]
> Internet www.bonn.de

Guido, Sebastian, thanks again.

It seems OnlineResource is available. I can say that because of a try I gave with an ExternalGraphic :
<ExternalGraphic>
 <OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Smiley.svg"/>
 <Format>image/svg</Format>
</ExternalGraphic>
and it works fine, I see my Smiley.svg.

Therefore, I assume the deegree renderer also sees my file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf. So what's wrong with a Mark based on a TTF ... Sebastian, if you have a nice working example, that would be great!

Guido, I assume this is what you are doing for your SVG files, using ExternalGraphic, right?

Thanks in advance,
Olivier.

PS: just to notice
- when giving a wrong path xlink:href, there is no error message in my logs, but I get gray default squares.
- for an external graphic, the doc says not to forget the MIME through the <Format> element. That's right, you need the element to pass the validation, but if you write something like <Format>funky/mime</Format>, it still works! The renderer doesn't complain and you see the nice graphic.

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

schmitz@occamlabs.de
oertz wrote:

Hi,

> It seems OnlineResource is available. I can say that because of a try I gave
> with an ExternalGraphic :
> <ExternalGraphic>
>  <OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
> xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Smiley.svg"/>
>  <Format>image/svg</Format>
> </ExternalGraphic>
> and it works fine, I see my Smiley.svg.
>
> Therefore, I assume the deegree renderer also sees my
> file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf. So what's wrong with a Mark based on
> a TTF ... Sebastian, if you have a nice working example, that would be
> great!
the glyph index is sometimes a bit hard to find out. Try and see what
you get with glyph index 9 (I seem to remember that the glyph index is
usually not related to the unicode char it corresponds to).

Best regards,
Andreas Schmitz
--
Occam Labs UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Godesberger Allee 139

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

Blome, Guido (62-24)
Hi Olivier,

yes, that`s the way we are placing marks on our maps.
The quality is better than using png or gif files, on diffrent scales.
Nice to see that I could help a bit.

Best Regards

Guido

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

Michiel J. van Heek-2
Dear Oliver,

To find the right glyph in your ttf file, you will have to read the
cmap of the ttf file. A cmap is a table that maps ascii to glyph. The
cmap is stored within the ttf file. You can read a cmap by opening the
ttf file in a hex editor, but it is easier to use a dedicated tool for
it.

Here is what I did to find the letter "F" in the Ubuntu system font:

1. Install the "otfdump" command line tool:

apt-get install libotf-bin

2. Run otfdump for the ttf file, and write the output to a temp file:

otfdump /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ubuntu-font-family/Ubuntu-B.ttf > myfile

3. Search the temp file for "glyphIdArray", which is the cmap:

         (glyphIdArray
             1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   1   2   0   0   0   2   0   0
             0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0
             3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18
            19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34
            35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50
            51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66

4. "F" is ascii 70, so find the 70th entry in the cmap. Top-left is
ascii 0, so count left-to-right, top-down. Glyph is 41.

deegree configuration:

       <Mark>
         <OnlineResource
xlink:href="file:///usr/share/fonts/truetype/ubuntu-font-family/Ubuntu-B.ttf"/>
         <Format>ttf</Format>
         <MarkIndex>41</MarkIndex>
         <Fill>
           <SvgParameter name="fill">#FF8000</SvgParameter>
         </Fill>
         <Stroke>
           <SvgParameter name="stroke">#000000</SvgParameter>
           <SvgParameter name="stroke-opacity">1.0</SvgParameter>
           <SvgParameter name="stroke-width">1.0</SvgParameter>
         </Stroke>
       </Mark>

Works like a charm. Hope this (still) helps.

Best regards,
Michiel.

Quoting oertz <[hidden email]>:

> Guido, Sebastian, thanks again.
>
> It seems OnlineResource is available. I can say that because of a try I gave
> with an ExternalGraphic :
> <ExternalGraphic>
>  <OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
> xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Smiley.svg"/>
>  <Format>image/svg</Format>
> </ExternalGraphic>
> and it works fine, I see my Smiley.svg.
>
> Therefore, I assume the deegree renderer also sees my
> file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf. So what's wrong with a Mark based on
> a TTF ... Sebastian, if you have a nice working example, that would be
> great!
>
> Guido, I assume this is what you are doing for your SVG files, using
> ExternalGraphic, right?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Olivier.
>
> PS: just to notice
> - when giving a wrong path xlink:href, there is no error message in my logs,
> but I get gray default squares.
> - for an external graphic, the doc says not to forget the MIME through the
> <Format> element. That's right, you need the element to pass the validation,
> but if you write something like <Format>funky/mime</Format>, it still works!
> The renderer doesn't complain and you see the nice graphic.

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

schmitz@occamlabs.de
Michiel J. van Heek wrote:

Hi,

> To find the right glyph in your ttf file, you will have to read the
> cmap of the ttf file. A cmap is a table that maps ascii to glyph. The
> cmap is stored within the ttf file. You can read a cmap by opening the
> ttf file in a hex editor, but it is easier to use a dedicated tool for
> it.
>
> Here is what I did to find the letter "F" in the Ubuntu system font:

that's really cool! I took the liberty of linking to your post in the
handbook. If you're willing, you can of course contribute that part of
the handbook (current status is on our own fork, will probably be
pulled into the deegree master in the next TMC meeting).

Best regards,
Andreas Schmitz

Quoting Andreas Schmitz <[hidden email]>:

> Michiel J. van Heek wrote:
>
>> To find the right glyph in your ttf file, you will have to read the
>> cmap of the ttf file. A cmap is a table that maps ascii to glyph. The
>> cmap is stored within the ttf file. You can read a cmap by opening the
>> ttf file in a hex editor, but it is easier to use a dedicated tool for
>> it.
>>
>> Here is what I did to find the letter "F" in the Ubuntu system font:
>
> that's really cool! I took the liberty of linking to your post in the
> handbook. If you're willing, you can of course contribute that part of
> the handbook (current status is on our own fork, will probably be
> pulled into the deegree master in the next TMC meeting).

No problem! Copy-paste it wherever you like, and/or amend it to your needs.

Michiel

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

oertz
Michiel,
thanks for the detailed answer, now I know more about how a ttf font in built. But it still doesn't work. I've explored several ways. I've also tried directly on the new server we are setting up based on Ubuntu Server. I tried even with your exact Ubuntu-B font. But I still have my red squares. Moreover, I'm now refering to my ttf resource by http and no more by direct disk file access. I also use SLD WMS parameter so as to avoid reloading deegree each time I change an internal style. Everything still works with my svg "smiley" graphic but I don't understand why ttf format is problematic.

Michiel: may I ask you what is the version of your deegree3 installation ?

Thanks again for your help.
Olivier.

Quoting oertz <[hidden email]>:

> Guido, Sebastian, thanks again.
>
> It seems OnlineResource is available. I can say that because of a try I gave
> with an ExternalGraphic :
> <ExternalGraphic>
>  <OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
> xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Smiley.svg"/>
>  <Format>image/svg</Format>
> </ExternalGraphic>
> and it works fine, I see my Smiley.svg.
>
> Therefore, I assume the deegree renderer also sees my
> file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf. So what's wrong with a Mark based on
> a TTF ... Sebastian, if you have a nice working example, that would be
> great!
>
> Guido, I assume this is what you are doing for your SVG files, using
> ExternalGraphic, right?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Olivier.
>
> PS: just to notice
> - when giving a wrong path xlink:href, there is no error message in my logs,
> but I get gray default squares.
> - for an external graphic, the doc says not to forget the MIME through the
> <Format> element. That's right, you need the element to pass the validation,
> but if you write something like <Format>funky/mime</Format>, it still works!
> The renderer doesn't complain and you see the nice graphic.

NAML

--
HEIG-VD, University Of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
IICT, Institute for Information and Communication Technologies
Phone: +41 24 55 77570
Go to: http://www.heig-vd.ch | http://geosysin.iict.ch

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

oertz
Sebastian,
as you suggested, it would be great to have a styling example with MarkIndex (linked to utah workspace for instance). There isn't such an example neither in the utah workspace nor in the inspire one.

Thanks again for your help.
Olivier.

Phone: +41 24 55 77570
Go to: http://www.heig-vd.ch | http://geosysin.iict.ch

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

Sebastian Goerke

Hi Olivier,

yes, I regret I forgot about that. Let me see what I can do for you
this week.

Best Regards

Sebastian

Am 14.01.2013 17:51, schrieb oertz:

> Sebastian, as you suggested, it would be great to have a styling
> example with MarkIndex (linked to utah workspace for instance).
> There isn't such an example neither in the utah workspace nor in
> the inspire one.
>
> Thanks again for your help. Olivier.
>
> On 12/11/2012 07:11 PM, Sebastian Goerke [via OSGeo.org] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the reason for the red square is actually the fill parameter. I
>> will search for another example for the TTF styling. You can
>> additionally check you logs, if the OnlineResource is really
>> available. There should be messages about the initialization of
>> it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>>> Hi Olivier,
>>>
>>> seems like your getting the default Mark "square" and it`s
>>> rendered red because of the provided fill Parameter. Is the
>>> Online Resource realy available for deegree ?
>>>
>>> But I`m not an expert, just another user
>>>
>>> I`m marking Spots with SVG-Files.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Guido Blome Bundesstadt Bonn Kataster- und Vermessungsamt
>>> Stadthaus, Berliner Platz 2, 53111 Bonn Telefon +49(0)2 28.77
>>> 3009 Telefax +49(0)2 28.77 2618 E-Mail [hidden email] Internet
>>> www.bonn.de
>>>
>>> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: oertz [mailto:[hidden
>>> email]] Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2012 17:23 An: [hidden
>>> email] Betreff: Re: [deegree-users] SE Styling : MarkIndex
>>> glyph index ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> Let's describe my use case : - seems I use deegree 3.1.2 (svn
>>> revision 33314 build@20120525-1315 by hudson) - I work with
>>> utah demo, playing with the utah_cities.xml SE instance - let's
>>> use a random font we can share :  rebecca_symbols1.zip
>>>
>> <http://www.fontspace.com/download/13375/fef88c48b97746c7adfd6d4cfaec8242/rebecca_symbols1.zip>
>>

> - below my marker (see complete file  utah_cities.xml
>>> <http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5022268/utah_cities.xml>

) :

>>> <Mark> <OnlineResource
>>> xmlns:xlink="file:///home/olivier/tmp/Symbols1.ttf"/>
>>> <Format>ttf</Format> <MarkIndex>71</MarkIndex> <Fill>
>>> <SvgParameter name="fill">#FF0000</SvgParameter> </Fill>
>>> </Mark>
>>>
>>> According to my Font Manager, in this font, there is a glyph
>>> with
>> unicode
>>> 71 (in decimal), it is the G letter, the 71th glyph,
>>> representing a
>> smiley.
>>>
>>> But I get a red square. What's wrong ?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot, Olivier.

>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/SE-Styling-MarkIndex-glyph-index-tp5022210p5022268.html
>>

> Sent from the deegree - users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

> LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free
> Trial
>>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant
>>> support Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more
>>> value-add
>> services
>>> Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

>>> Bleiben Sie mit dem mehrmals in der Woche erscheinenden
>>> Newsletter 'BonnLive online' auf dem Laufenden. Informationen
>>> aus dem Rathaus, Veranstaltungstipps und aktuelle Nachrichten
>>> jetzt im Abo, kostenlos unter www.bonn.de !
>>>
>>> www.bonn.de/service/newsletter/bonn_live_online/index.html
>>>

>>> Recyclingpapierfreundlichste Stadt Deutschlands 2010, 2011 und
>>> 2012. Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt
>>> werden muss.

> LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free
> Trial
>>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant
>>> support Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more
>>> value-add
>> services
>>> Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant
>> support Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more
>> value-add services Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue
>> delivers http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d
>>

>> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the
>> discussion below:
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/SE-Styling-MarkIndex-glyph-index-tp5022210p5022293.html

To unsubscribe from SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?, click here.

>> NAML
>> <http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
>>

> -- HEIG-VD, University Of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
> IICT, Institute for Information and Communication Technologies
> Email: [hidden email] Phone: +41 24 55 77570 Go to:
> http://www.heig-vd.ch | http://geosysin.iict.ch

> at Nabble.com.

> MVC, Windows 8 Apps, JavaScript and much more. Keep your skills
> current with LearnDevNow - 3,200 step-by-step video tutorials by
> Microsoft MVPs and experts. SALE $99.99 this month only -- learn
> more at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122412

- --
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19               53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 18496-0          fax ++49 +228 18496-29
http://www.lat-lon.de            http://www.deegree.org

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

schmitz@occamlabs.de
oertz wrote:

Hi,

> as you suggested, it would be great to have a styling example with
> MarkIndex (linked to utah workspace for instance). There isn't such an
> example neither in the utah workspace nor in the inspire one.

not a real world example, but an automated test setup can be found in
the code base:

https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/blob/master/deegree-tests/deegree-wms-similarity-tests/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/workspace/styles/ttfsymbol.xml

Best regards,
Andreas Schmitz
--
Occam Labs UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Godesberger Allee 139
53175 Bonn, Germany
Phone:  +49 228 937 988 65
Mobile: +49 151 184 39 348
http://www.occamlabs.de

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

oertz
ok, I'm the stupid ... it works fine thanks to your advices. I edit my xml by hand, but I take care to validate against schemas. Validation did not blame me about the awful syntax of my onlineresource (OnlineResource xmlns:xlink=blabla ... pfff stupid I'm, probably the result of a wrong copy/paste). Seems today my eyes are better aligned than yesterday.

The tip to get the glyphId by dumping the ttf file with otfdump (also available on my Fedora through the libotf package) helps a lot. But why is it so complicated to define that MarkIndex? The use of unicode would be so simple, isn't it ? What's your position on that ?

Again many thanks, I appreciate the responsiveness from you all.

Olivier.

Phone: +41 24 55 77570
Go to: http://www.heig-vd.ch | http://geosysin.iict.ch

Re: SE Styling : MarkIndex glyph index ?

schmitz@occamlabs.de
oertz wrote:

Hi,

> ok, I'm the stupid ... it works fine thanks to your advices. I edit my
> xml by hand, but I take care to validate against schemas. Validation did
> not blame me about the awful syntax of my onlineresource (OnlineResource
> xmlns:xlink=blabla ... pfff stupid I'm, probably the result of a wrong
> copy/paste). Seems today my eyes are better aligned than yesterday.
>
> The tip to get the glyphId by dumping the ttf file with otfdump (also
> available on my Fedora through the libotf package) helps a lot. But why
> is it so complicated to define that MarkIndex? The use of unicode would
> be so simple, isn't it ? What's your position on that ?
I think it was just easier to implement. When working with the low
level font API in Java I believe I needed to have the glyph index, and
I didn't figure out how to map the Unicode id to the glyph index.

I agree that using unicode characters would be easier, but it could
also happen that you've got a font file not actually defined in
unicode (imagine an ISO-8859-1 font, or an Arabic font). In this case,
you'd also need a mapping from unicode to the font encoding, and then
to the glyph index.

Best regards,
Andreas Schmitz