Quantcast

Rpy2 broken on win: possible alternatives?

Rpy2 broken on win: possible alternatives?

Paolo Cavallini
Hi all.
Currently, most R plugins are broken on windows, because Rpy2 is no
longer available for that platform.
Among the ones I find important, manageR, SDA4PP, and Home Range.
A possible alternative would be to reimplement these functionalities
through R scripts in Sextante (should be easy for HR, possible for
SDA4PP, probably unsuitable for manageR).
Opinions? Takers?
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini
See: http://www.faunalia.it/pc

Re: Rpy2 broken on win: possible alternatives?

Alex Mandel-2
On 04/16/2012 02:15 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all.
> Currently, most R plugins are broken on windows, because Rpy2 is no
> longer available for that platform.
> Among the ones I find important, manageR, SDA4PP, and Home Range.
> A possible alternative would be to reimplement these functionalities
> through R scripts in Sextante (should be easy for HR, possible for
> SDA4PP, probably unsuitable for manageR).
> Opinions? Takers?
> All the best.

The only holdup is someone to maintain windows compiling of Rpy2, the
main author just doesn't have time/machine to do it. I think we tracked
down a current version for python 2.7 but haven't tried it yet. Once
tested could be re-added to osgeo4w.

Here's the link Giovanni found, can someone please test
https://bitbucket.org/lgautier/rpy2/issue/85/ive-tried-to-compile-rpy2-under-windows-xp

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Rpy2 broken on win: possible alternatives?

Giovanni Manghi
Hi,

> I think we tracked
> down a current version for python 2.7 but haven't tried it yet. Once
> tested could be re-added to osgeo4w.
>
> Here's the link Giovanni found, can someone please test
> https://bitbucket.org/lgautier/rpy2/issue/85/ive-tried-to-compile-rpy2-under-windows-xp

already tested,
unfortunately the above build works for the Home Range plugin but does
not for the ManageR and SDA4PP ones.

cheers

-- Giovanni --

Il 17/04/2012 16:21, Giovanni Manghi ha scritto:
> already tested,
> unfortunately the above build works for the Home Range plugin but does
> not for the ManageR and SDA4PP ones.

in any case, rpy* proved a fragile solution, that's why I suggested
porting it to pure R scripts, and use Sextante as a GUI

--
Paolo Cavallini
See: http://www.faunalia.it/pc

Re: Rpy2 broken on win: possible alternatives?

Anne Ghisla-2
On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:25:41 +0200
Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il 17/04/2012 16:21, Giovanni Manghi ha scritto:
> > already tested,
> > unfortunately the above build works for the Home Range plugin but
> > does not for the ManageR and SDA4PP ones.
> >
> in any case, rpy* proved a fragile solution, that's why I suggested
> porting it to pure R scripts, and use Sextante as a GUI

Hello, sorry for late answer.

I examined the possibility to remove rpy2 from HR plugin. Still I am
unsure on how to exchange data between R and QGIS. QGIS could write a
temporary file with input data, that R would read. But it would be
unnecessary disk usage, and will be slow in case of hundreds of points.

I would prefer to restore rpy2 functionality, also for benefit of
other users, and I am willing to support its re-packaging.

Anne
--
http://gis.cri.fmach.it/ghisla/

Il 02/05/2012 12:06, Anne Ghisla ha scritto:

> I would prefer to restore rpy2 functionality, also for benefit of
> other users, and I am willing to support its re-packaging.

please consider rewriting it as a sextante module, could be an easier
and more maintainable option
all the best, and thanks

--
Paolo Cavallini