RpcModel outside image extent

Guillaume Pasero
Hello,

I am a member of the team working on the next OrfeoToolBox release
(5.2.0) and we just discovered (a bit late) that in OSSIM 1.8.20-1, the
ossimRpcModel returns nans when calling lineSampleHeightToWorld()
outside the image extent.

We assume that this change between 1.8.16 and 1.8.20 was done on
purpose, but it has a significant impact on OTB, as we sometimes need to
do projections outside the image extent.
In OTB, all the forward projections are encapsulated in a
SensorModelAdapter that calls
ossimSensorModel->lineSampleHeightToWorld(). Is there another method
that would provide actual coordinates in all cases (i.e. rpc model
inside the image, and extrapolation outside) ?

As the release schedule is tight, we don't have time to fix this issue
on OTB side before the release. We plan on release OTB 5.2.0 using a
recommended OSSIM revision 23537 : this one is the most suited for OTB
5.2. That means we don't plan on packaging an official OSSIM version
1.8.20-1 as we did in the past with previous OTB releases.

For next release, we may have to rework the encapsulation of OSSIM, but
it would help if OSSIM had a method providing the same behaviour as
lineSampleHeightToWorld() before version 1.8.20-1

Regards,
Guillaume

--
<www.c-s.fr> *Guillaume PASERO*
Ingénieur d'études et développement

*CS Systèmes d'Information*
Parc de la Grande Plaine - 5, Rue Brindejonc des Moulinais - BP 15872
31506 Toulouse Cedex 05 - FRANCE
+33 561 17 64 21 - [hidden email]

Re: RpcModel outside image extent

DBurken@Radiantblue.com
Hi Guillaume,

Just talked to Garrett.  He was working on some dateline cross issues
and thinks we can take that code out.  Tossing around adding an
interface that has extrapolate flag.  For now it's back to the way it
was.  I have committed to branch:

ossim/src/ossim/projection/ossimRpcModel.cpp
Committed revision 23670.

I'll put a 1.8.20-3 out there:
http://download.osgeo.org/ossim/source/latest/

Sorry for the grief.

Take care,
Dave

On 12/18/2015 12:47 PM, Guillaume Pasero wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a member of the team working on the next OrfeoToolBox release
> (5.2.0) and we just discovered (a bit late) that in OSSIM 1.8.20-1, the
> ossimRpcModel returns nans when calling lineSampleHeightToWorld()
> outside the image extent.
>
> We assume that this change between 1.8.16 and 1.8.20 was done on
> purpose, but it has a significant impact on OTB, as we sometimes need to
> do projections outside the image extent.
> In OTB, all the forward projections are encapsulated in a
> SensorModelAdapter that calls
> ossimSensorModel->lineSampleHeightToWorld(). Is there another method
> that would provide actual coordinates in all cases (i.e. rpc model
> inside the image, and extrapolation outside) ?
>
> As the release schedule is tight, we don't have time to fix this issue
> on OTB side before the release. We plan on release OTB 5.2.0 using a
> recommended OSSIM revision 23537 : this one is the most suited for OTB
> 5.2. That means we don't plan on packaging an official OSSIM version
> 1.8.20-1 as we did in the past with previous OTB releases.
>
> For next release, we may have to rework the encapsulation of OSSIM, but
> it would help if OSSIM had a method providing the same behaviour as
> lineSampleHeightToWorld() before version 1.8.20-1
>
> Regards,
> Guillaume

Re: RpcModel outside image extent

Guillaume Pasero
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick answer. We will test the 1.8.20-3 version when
it's out and package it after OTB release.

Best,
Guillaume

--
<www.c-s.fr> *Guillaume PASERO*
Ingénieur d'études et développement
*Business Unit E-SPACE & Geo Information*
<https://thor.si.c-s.fr/blogs/cs-blogs-business/>*- Département
APPLICATIONS*

*CS Systèmes d'Information*
Parc de la Grande Plaine - 5, Rue Brindejonc des Moulinais - BP 15872
31506 Toulouse Cedex 05 - FRANCE
+33 561 17 64 21 - [hidden email]

Re: RpcModel outside image extent

DBurken@Radiantblue.com