[RfP FOSS4G2019] My questions to the Sevilla Team

[RfP FOSS4G2019] My questions to the Sevilla Team

Till Adams-3
Dear Sevilla-LOC (SLOC),

after reading carefully your great LoI, I'd like to ask the following
questons:

- Do you expect, that you can attract your supporting organisations also
to sponsor the event?

- You expect 80% of the attendees to pay the registration fee. Although
I am a friend of a very careful calculation, nevertheless I'd like to
ask, who you expect not to pay the fee - at least 20% of expected 1200
attendees are 240 people, that will receive a free ticket?

- There was a big discussion about how we can open the conference for as
many attendees as possible. Of course, this also is a function of the
whole package price (travel, accommodation, conference fee,). Could you
please line out, what your plans are in order to make a travel to FOSS4G
2019 possible for as many people (especially students,  people from
3rd-world countries) as possible?

FYI: I also put the questions in the WIKI [1]. You might direct edit
there and inform the list via email.

Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2019_Q%26A_Sevilla

Re: [RfP FOSS4G2019] My questions to the Sevilla Team

delawen
Good morning,

Thanks for your questions! Answers inline:

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - Do you expect, that you can attract your supporting organisations also
> to sponsor the event?

This proposal has been very well received by public administrations,
local, regional and country wide and many of them have already sent
their letters of support. All this public administrations have
directives to attract foreign investment and boost employment, so they
are very interested in participating and have expressed their desire
to collaborate. Also, in Andalusia region there is a strong support
for open source by the public administrations, so they welcome all the
initiatives that can boost the use of open source in the region.

On the private companies side, there is also a lot of interest as
FOSS4G usually takes place very far from their location and it is
difficult for them to invest in promoting their products. If the
conference takes place in Sevilla, they are willing to sponsor and
maximize the efforts to have presence in the conference. There is a
growing bussiness network based on open source and geolocation
technologies both in Spain and Portugal and many of these companies
will use FOSS4G as their trampoline to the rest of the world.

> - You expect 80% of the attendees to pay the registration fee. Although
> I am a friend of a very careful calculation, nevertheless I'd like to
> ask, who you expect not to pay the fee - at least 20% of expected 1200
> attendees are 240 people, that will receive a free ticket?

We will offer a set of 100-120 free inscription for volunteers, in
exchange of specific help in tasks during the workshops (helping with
recording, checkin, etc...), during the main conference days (helping
on the sessions, delivering food, giving directions, helping the
speakers,...) and/or during the codesprint (technical support, checkin
or general help). They will only have to pay for their accomodation
and food, except the meals included in the ticket (except the Gala
Dinner).

We will offer also a set of free inscriptions to some students or
specific chosen people who we will offer the free fee for the
conference, accomodation and the meals included in the conference. It
will be a small group (15-20) chosen by a comittee to help leveraging
the gap on diversity. We will use also use these free inscriptions to
promote the participation of interested students and /or people with
economic limitation, specially from Africa and Latin America. We are
really interested in attracting attendees from both continents because
of proximity (cultural and/or geographical) and the possibility of
reuse of software developed in Spanish or Portuguese. We have already
experienced that in Latin America we can replicate OSS projects with
minimal customization costs.

Last but not least, we will also offer some free tickets for speakers
and sponsors.

> - There was a big discussion about how we can open the conference for as
> many attendees as possible. Of course, this also is a function of the
> whole package price (travel, accommodation, conference fee,). Could you
> please line out, what your plans are in order to make a travel to FOSS4G
> 2019 possible for as many people (especially students,  people from
> 3rd-world countries) as possible?

Combining the volunteers and whole free package described in the
previous question, we expect to increase the number of participants
from lower income economies.

Regarding travel cost, today it's easy to get a return ticket from
almost any part of the world to Sevilla, Málaga, Faro or Madrid by
less than 600€ to 700€ if purchased in advance. If it is from any
other European country it can be less than half that price. Sevilla is
a very cheap city for students and travellers who doesn't mind to
share a room. In the Inturjoven hostels, the price for sharing room
about 12/17 € per person for young people up to 25 years. The Young
Hostels, depending on the establishment, costs around 10/15 € per
person in a shared room.

Re: [RfP FOSS4G2019] My questions to the Sevilla Team

stevenfeldman
Congrats on a great LoI SLOC.

I have got enough info at this stage to make an assessment for the first stage.

Thanks
______
Steven

On 5 Oct 2017, at 09:30, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eli Adam
Dear Sevilla-LOC (SLOC),

You have very specific dates that you've been lining up since 1519.
Have you checked availability of your venue in those dates?
Presumably it is not only geography and cartography people who will be
interested in the day that marks the 500 anniversary of
Magellan-Elcano Expedition departure from Sevilla towards the East
Indies.  Have you considered other dates? (Although I do like the idea
of your existing dates, reasonability suggestions that the potential
for flexibility could be good.)

Thanks, Eli

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Sevilla-LOC (SLOC),

You have very specific dates that you've been lining up since 1519.
Have you checked availability of your venue in those dates?
Presumably it is not only geography and cartography people who will be
interested in the day that marks the 500 anniversary of
Magellan-Elcano Expedition departure from Sevilla towards the East
Indies.  Have you considered other dates? (Although I do like the idea
of your existing dates, reasonability suggestions that the potential
for flexibility could be good.)

Dear Eli,

Although it may seem a bit random and accidentally have in common the anniversary, the dates have been carefully chosen:

Going to Sevilla in August, besides the northern Summer problem I mentioned some weeks ago, also may be a problem for people coming from cooler countries. They are not used to our temperatures and may dehidrate too much. We consider anything above 30ºC to be not welcoming for many visitors. September, on the other hand, has a perfect 15/25ºC temperature in average.

But on September we have the schools starting. So if we wanted to use the university, we had to make sure it was before the full classes began and the booking of rooms collide with our needs. On the other hand, too early on September we have the problem of Isla Mágica being still used full time as an amusement park. If we want the park to be closed for us, it should be after mid September.

So, that week is the perfect week for us. The four factors (climate, university, Isla Mágica and anniversary) match on that week.

Of course, we carefully asked about availability before selecting the dates. Otherwise it would have been very risky. There will be more events around the anniversary, but most of them are distributed among the full year and the full duration of the trip.

Kind regards,
María.