Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Cameron Shorter
Following up from the last OSGeo UN meeting, I've created the first
draft of a proposal for creation and maintenance of OSGeo training
material, and to have paid resources involved to make this sustainable.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Di-WxImfPq5oF2jeBblxNjY0JYJoXegLc5jaTPjufM/edit?usp=sharing

If you would like to comment on the document, please send me your google
email address and I will add you.

Warm regards,

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: [Geo4All] Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Suchith Anand
Hi Cameron,

Many thanks for this. I can see the synergies of this activity for the educational/training needs of other activities . For example, Geospatial Data Science training needs of various academic and international organisations will find this resourse very useful to build/modify upon. So I will do my best to start looking for sponsors to help fund resources involved to make this sustainable.  I request all who have contacts with key organisations to also help on fiinding a suitable sponsor for this.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Following up from the last OSGeo UN meeting, I've created the first
draft of a proposal for creation and maintenance of OSGeo training
material, and to have paid resources involved to make this sustainable.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Di-WxImfPq5oF2jeBblxNjY0JYJoXegLc5jaTPjufM/edit?usp=sharing

If you would like to comment on the document, please send me your google
email address and I will add you.

Warm regards,

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: [Geo4All] Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear All

To All who are interested. Next UN Committee meeting is:

  • APRIL 10th 2017, 9 am GMT.

Put you name in the list on the wiki page of the UN OSGeo Committee (section Committee Meetings) in such a way that I can call you (the meeting will be on skype).

Agenda:

- OSGeo Live-UN  Committee

- UN Open GIS Initiative updates

- UN Hackathon

Many thanks!

Maria

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.htmlBoard of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

Re: [Geo4All] Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Cameron Shorter

I'm available, but can we please select a timeslot either 2 hours after (my preference) or 2 hours before. I'm usually on a bus home from work or having dinner with family at this time.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 3/4/17 12:24 am, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:

[...]

R: [Geo4All] Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Shall we do 1:30 before? I'm travelling 2 hours before.
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: R: [Geo4All] Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Cameron Shorter

I can do 1.5 hours before at:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2017&month=4&day=10&hour=7&min=30&sec=0&p1=224&p2=179&p3=136&p4=215&p5=235&p6=240&p7=22&iv=1800

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Francisco (USA - California) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 12:30:00 am PDT UTC-7 hours
New York (USA - New York) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 3:30:00 am EDT UTC-4 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 8:30:00 am BST UTC+1 hour
Rome (Italy) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 9:30:00 am CEST UTC+2 hours
Seoul (South Korea) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 4:30:00 pm KST UTC+9 hours
Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 5:30:00 pm AEST UTC+10 hours
Auckland (New Zealand) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 7:30:00 pm NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Monday, 10 April 2017 at 07:30:00

On 3/4/17 8:55 pm, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
Shall we do 1:30 before? I'm travelling 2 hours before.
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: [Geo4All] R: Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for theUnited Nations

Sanghee Shin

I’m ok on that time.

Cheers,

신상희 드림
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

보낸 사람: [hidden email]
보낸 날짜: 2017 4 4일 화요일 오전 5:04
받는 사람: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
참조: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
제목: Re: [Geo4All] R: Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for theUnited Nations

[...]

Meeting notes: Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Cameron Shorter
An update on meeting between:
* Maria
* Arnulf
* Cameron
* Sanghee had problems connecting but added comments to Maria afterwards

Quick Notes:
* We have identified forums to present this proposal and ask for support:
12 April: OSGeo Board
26-28 April: UN Open GIS Initiative, Brindisi, Italy.
August: UN, New York
* We aim to get a clear vision presented in front of key decision makers
from UN, World Bank, individual nations, ...
* To add weight to the proposal, we should gather signatures from key
organisations. We didn't brainstorm this much, but could include: OSGeo,
Geo4All, various UN agencies, World Bank, various nations, who else?
* We should aim to let people know of our aims here, and ask for help in
polishing our proposal.
* Maria/Sanghee offered to add comments to OSGeo Training proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Di-WxImfPq5oF2jeBblxNjY0JYJoXegLc5jaTPjufM/edit?usp=sharing

* Arnulf will look to see if he can find good UN reference(s) for a goal
for UN training
* Maria suggested fleshing out "Next Steps", in particular to make it
clear about what is required for strategic investment in training, and
how we can make it very good value, and do some simple first steps.
Cameron will look into this some more.

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: Meeting notes: Resourcing Open Source Geospatial Training for the United Nations

Cameron Shorter
Hi all,

I've updated the proposal based on prior feedback.

Key changes:

* I've briefly summarised the current UN Open Source GIS training
initiative.
* I've added a "Resourcing Proposal" section
* I've added a "Presented by" section, currently empty, where we should
gather a list of organisations that support this proposal.
* I've added a "Contact" section

The aim is to discuss this proposal this coming week, 26-28 April, at
the UN Open GIS Initiative meeting at Brindisi, Italy.

There are still some outstanding comments I'm hoping can be addressed.
Reviews and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254