Resource Sharing plugin in core?

12

Resource Sharing plugin in core?

pcav
Hi all,
following some recent work by Håvard Tveite on the Resource Sharing
plugin, we have received his proposal to include it in core. Previous
proposal were generally positive, with the caveat that we required
someone to take care of this specific part of code.
I personally think this would be a big boot in QGIS productivity if
widespread, allowing hundreds of people to contribute their own styles,
symbols and scripts, parallel to the addition of python bindings that
long ago allowed the flourishing of Python plugins. I would therefore be
in favour of adding it, perhaps asking Håvard to take a least a part of
responsibility for it. This involves a moderate risk on our side, but I
think we can always support it with our own funds or with an ad hoc
adoption campaign.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Régis Haubourg -2
Hi Paolo, +1 for this feature to be part of the core.

However, we tried in 3.0 to reduce the number of core plugins to avoid
maintenance issues, startup slowdowns etc...

I'd really much like this feature to be native one and not a plugin to
keep a lean core.  Maybe we could open somewhere a list of suggested
fundings that are not critical and will not be funded on QGIS.org
budget. That could give ideas to funders not knowing what to fund. I
personnally would have loved such a list when I had hands on a budget.

Best regards

Régis

--
Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: [hidden email]
tél: 0033 184 257 870
---------------------------------
http://oslandia.com/

OSLANDIA IS AN INNOVATIVE COMPANY SPECIALIZED IN GIS ARCHITECTURE. WE
PROVIDE SERVICE ON OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR WHICH WE ARE EDITORS OR
RECOGNIZED EXPERTS.

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Alessandro Pasotti-2

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 6:12 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
following some recent work by Håvard Tveite on the Resource Sharing
plugin, we have received his proposal to include it in core.

I think that the proposal is just to move the repository

from

https://github.com/QGIS/qgis_resources_sharing

I am -1 to move it into core (https://github.com/QGIS/qgis).

Cheers.

Previous
proposal were generally positive, with the caveat that we required
someone to take care of this specific part of code.
I personally think this would be a big boot in QGIS productivity if
widespread, allowing hundreds of people to contribute their own styles,
symbols and scripts, parallel to the addition of python bindings that
long ago allowed the flourishing of Python plugins. I would therefore be
in favour of adding it, perhaps asking Håvard to take a least a part of
responsibility for it. This involves a moderate risk on our side, but I
think we can always support it with our own funds or with an ad hoc
adoption campaign.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

pcav
Hi ale,

Il 17/02/20 09:08, Alessandro Pasotti ha scritto:

> I am -1 to move it into core (https://github.com/QGIS/qgis).
could you please expand on this?
Cheers.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 9:10 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ale,

Il 17/02/20 09:08, Alessandro Pasotti ha scritto:

> I am -1 to move it into core (https://github.com/QGIS/qgis).
could you please expand on this?

Sure,

first thing is to clarify what we mean for "including a plugin in core", with that I mean that the plugin is integrated in the same github repository of QGIS C++ main code.

The inclusion of resource sharing plugin in core was already discussed a few years ago and at that time I was in favor of it and other developers were not, over the years I switched side too and I'm not in favor anymore, to tell you the truth, I would probably remove ALL other Python plugins from the main QGIS repository except for plugin manager.

The reason?

Because there is really no need to have them in the same repository and because I see no reason why the release cycle of python plugin must follow the same release cycle of QGIS itself (see the endless stream of bugs in DB manager, wouldn't be easier if we could make DB manager a rolling release that people can upgrade/downgrade like any other plugin?).

From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++ code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary, I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.

Cheers.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
On 2/17/20 9:24 AM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 9:10 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ale,

Il 17/02/20 09:08, Alessandro Pasotti ha scritto:

> I am -1 to move it into core (https://github.com/QGIS/qgis).
could you please expand on this?

Sure,

first thing is to clarify what we mean for "including a plugin in core", with that I mean that the plugin is integrated in the same github repository of QGIS C++ main code.

The inclusion of resource sharing plugin in core was already discussed a few years ago and at that time I was in favor of it and other developers were not, over the years I switched side too and I'm not in favor anymore, to tell you the truth, I would probably remove ALL other Python plugins from the main QGIS repository except for plugin manager.

The reason?

Because there is really no need to have them in the same repository and because I see no reason why the release cycle of python plugin must follow the same release cycle of QGIS itself (see the endless stream of bugs in DB manager, wouldn't be easier if we could make DB manager a rolling release that people can upgrade/downgrade like any other plugin?).

From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++ code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary, I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.

+1

There are also usability advantages of a C++ implementation of resource sharing will be that it can be much tighter integrated, for example allowing to download additional symbols directly from the symbol selector without closing modal windows and switching to a separate dialog where styles are managed.

Matthias

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Raymond Nijssen

Moving existing python code into the QGIS main repo only means it will
be installed and available without downloading the plugin manager,
right? In my opinion that's not a big advantage.

What would be a nice improvement is that QGIS natively (c++) have a
resource interface. So you can use the API in plugins to add and remove
styles, templates, icons, imagery, color palettes, et cetera. Like you
can add processing algorithms by plugins as well now.

QGIS would put all these resources in a common place, and will always
find them when installed. So if you open your colleagues project, the
company logo in the layout will show up, although it lives somewhere in
your home directory.

In that way, everybody can make plugins and share resources easily,
without programming hacky things like string replacements in paths.

Would that be possible?

Kind regards,
Raymond

On 16-02-2020 18:13, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all,
> following some recent work by Håvard Tveite on the Resource Sharing
> plugin, we have received his proposal to include it in core. Previous
> proposal were generally positive, with the caveat that we required
> someone to take care of this specific part of code.
> I personally think this would be a big boot in QGIS productivity if
> widespread, allowing hundreds of people to contribute their own styles,
> symbols and scripts, parallel to the addition of python bindings that
> long ago allowed the flourishing of Python plugins. I would therefore be
> in favour of adding it, perhaps asking Håvard to take a least a part of
> responsibility for it. This involves a moderate risk on our side, but I
> think we can always support it with our own funds or with an ad hoc
> adoption campaign.
> Cheers.

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 17 Feb 2020, at 08:33, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++ code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary, I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.

+1

There are also usability advantages of a C++ implementation of resource sharing will be that it can be much tighter integrated, for example allowing to download additional symbols directly from the symbol selector without closing modal windows and switching to a separate dialog where styles are managed.

Yeah this would be a big plus for me too - if the sharing platform is really going to be useful, it should be right there at the point where you need the resource. And with my dreamer hat on, we will also have a ’share this symbol’ button one day that lets you directly share any resource with a permissive ‘do what you like’ license to a central QGIS style platform, something like the noun icon project.

Regards

Tim

Matthias

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

---

Tim Sutton

Il 17/02/20 09:50, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Hi
>
>> On 17 Feb 2020, at 08:33, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>> From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++
>>> code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained
>>> by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must
>>> be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary,
>>> I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained
>>> and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> There are also usability advantages of a C++ implementation of
>> resource sharing will be that it can be much tighter integrated, for
>> example allowing to download additional symbols directly from the
>> symbol selector without closing modal windows and switching to a
>> separate dialog where styles are managed.
>>
> Yeah this would be a big plus for me too - if the sharing platform is
> really going to be useful, it should be right there at the point where
> you need the resource. And with my dreamer hat on, we will also have a
> ’share this symbol’ button one day that lets you directly share any
> resource with a permissive ‘do what you like’ license to a central QGIS
> style platform, something like the noun icon project.

thanks all for the comments. The point is: how to make this happen? IMHO
keeping it in the current position is not attracting attention to it.
Moving it to core may make it easier to start porting it to C++ and
integrating it more tightly (and yes Tim, I share your dream).
Putting it the other way round: what is the advantage of keeping it out
of the door? I remember accepting Processing into core very son way a
key to its success and promoted improvements and integration.
Cheers.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 9:57 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Il 17/02/20 09:50, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi
>
>> On 17 Feb 2020, at 08:33, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>> From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++
>>> code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained
>>> by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must
>>> be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary,
>>> I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained
>>> and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> There are also usability advantages of a C++ implementation of
>> resource sharing will be that it can be much tighter integrated, for
>> example allowing to download additional symbols directly from the
>> symbol selector without closing modal windows and switching to a
>> separate dialog where styles are managed.
>>
> Yeah this would be a big plus for me too - if the sharing platform is
> really going to be useful, it should be right there at the point where
> you need the resource. And with my dreamer hat on, we will also have a
> ’share this symbol’ button one day that lets you directly share any
> resource with a permissive ‘do what you like’ license to a central QGIS
> style platform, something like the noun icon project.

thanks all for the comments. The point is: how to make this happen? IMHO
keeping it in the current position is not attracting attention to it.
Moving it to core may make it easier to start porting it to C++ and
integrating it more tightly (and yes Tim, I share your dream).
Putting it the other way round: what is the advantage of keeping it out
of the door?

The idea is to lower the barriers and have multiple and broader doors, not to leave it out of the (unique, armored well guarded and narrow) door.

Love this metaphor :)

On 2/17/20 9:58 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Il 17/02/20 09:50, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>> Hi

>>> +1
>>>
>>> There are also usability advantages of a C++ implementation of
>>> resource sharing will be that it can be much tighter integrated, for
>>> example allowing to download additional symbols directly from the
>>> symbol selector without closing modal windows and switching to a
>>> separate dialog where styles are managed.
>>>
>> Yeah this would be a big plus for me too - if the sharing platform is
>> really going to be useful, it should be right there at the point where
>> you need the resource. And with my dreamer hat on, we will also have a
>> ’share this symbol’ button one day that lets you directly share any
>> resource with a permissive ‘do what you like’ license to a central QGIS
>> style platform, something like the noun icon project.
> thanks all for the comments. The point is: how to make this happen? IMHO
> keeping it in the current position is not attracting attention to it.

To gain some traction, someone could write a blog post and we show it on
the welcome screen.

Would be a nice test to check the reach of the welcome screen too by
monitoring the download numbers and contributions in the repo.

Matthias

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Håvard Tveite
Hi,

Moving the Resource Sharing plugin from
https://github.com/akbargumbira/qgis_resources_sharing to
github.com/qgis/ResourceSharing (or whatever) is encouraged
by Akbar - he has said that his interests have shifted and
that he does not have much time for the plugin
([QGIS-Developer] on 27.03.2018, 00:07 and an email to
Alessandro, Paolo and me 16.02.2020, 12:39).

Apart from that, an advantage of moving the plugin (as a
first step) is to give it a more "offical" QGIS stamp
while we wait for it to be included in core.

Håvard

On 17.02.2020 10:09, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> On 2/17/20 9:58 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Il 17/02/20 09:50, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>>> Hi

>>> Yeah this would be a big plus for me too - if the sharing platform is
>>> really going to be useful, it should be right there at the point where
>>> you need the resource. And with my dreamer hat on, we will also have a
>>> ’share this symbol’ button one day that lets you directly share any
>>> resource with a permissive ‘do what you like’ license to a central QGIS
>>> style platform, something like the noun icon project.
>> thanks all for the comments. The point is: how to make this happen? IMHO
>> keeping it in the current position is not attracting attention to it.
>
> To gain some traction, someone could write a blog post and we show it on
> the welcome screen.
>
> Would be a nice test to check the reach of the welcome screen too by
> monitoring the download numbers and contributions in the repo.
>
> Matthias

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi,

Please note that my previous statement was written assuming that it
should be in the qgis/QGIS repository (like processing).

I don't expect that moving it to a new repository under the QGIS
organisation will help a lot (but it also won't hurt).

If it's mostly about a place for this plugin to live, how about creating
a new `QGIS-Contribution` organisation where important, community
managed plugins are stored and developed?

Matthias

On 2/17/20 10:32 AM, Håvard Tveite wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Moving the Resource Sharing plugin from
> https://github.com/akbargumbira/qgis_resources_sharing to
> github.com/qgis/ResourceSharing (or whatever) is encouraged
> by Akbar - he has said that his interests have shifted and
> that he does not have much time for the plugin
> ([QGIS-Developer] on 27.03.2018, 00:07 and an email to
> Alessandro, Paolo and me 16.02.2020, 12:39).
>
> Apart from that, an advantage of moving the plugin (as a
> first step) is to give it a more "offical" QGIS stamp
> while we wait for it to be included in core.
>
> Håvard
>
> On 17.02.2020 10:09, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> On 2/17/20 9:58 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> thanks all for the comments. The point is: how to make this happen? IMHO
>>> keeping it in the current position is not attracting attention to it.
>> To gain some traction, someone could write a blog post and we show it on
>> the welcome screen.
>>
>> Would be a nice test to check the reach of the welcome screen too by
>> monitoring the download numbers and contributions in the repo.
>>
>> Matthias

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Håvard Tveite
Hi again,

One advantage of having it as a separate repository is that
we can be more liberal when giving out commit rights to it.

It would be OK for me to get commit rights for the plugin,
but it would be scary to get commit rights for qgis/QGIS,
knowing how much trouble one can cause by making simple
mistakes... :-)

Håvard

On 17.02.2020 11:05, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please note that my previous statement was written assuming that it
> should be in the qgis/QGIS repository (like processing).
>
> I don't expect that moving it to a new repository under the QGIS
> organisation will help a lot (but it also won't hurt).
>
> If it's mostly about a place for this plugin to live, how about creating
> a new `QGIS-Contribution` organisation where important, community
> managed plugins are stored and developed?
>
> Matthias
>

> On 2/17/20 10:32 AM, Håvard Tveite wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Moving the Resource Sharing plugin from
>> https://github.com/akbargumbira/qgis_resources_sharing to
>> github.com/qgis/ResourceSharing (or whatever) is encouraged
>> by Akbar - he has said that his interests have shifted and
>> that he does not have much time for the plugin
>> ([QGIS-Developer] on 27.03.2018, 00:07 and an email to
>> Alessandro, Paolo and me 16.02.2020, 12:39).
>>
>> Apart from that, an advantage of moving the plugin (as a
>> first step) is to give it a more "offical" QGIS stamp
>> while we wait for it to be included in core.
>>
>> Håvard

>>> To gain some traction, someone could write a blog post and we show it on
>>> the welcome screen.
>>>
>>> Would be a nice test to check the reach of the welcome screen too by
>>> monitoring the download numbers and contributions in the repo.
>>>
>>> Matthias

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Nyall Dawson
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 18:25, Alessandro Pasotti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> first thing is to clarify what we mean for "including a plugin in core", with that I mean that the plugin is integrated in the same github repository of QGIS C++ main code.
>
> The inclusion of resource sharing plugin in core was already discussed a few years ago and at that time I was in favor of it and other developers were not, over the years I switched side too and I'm not in favor anymore, to tell you the truth, I would probably remove ALL other Python plugins from the main QGIS repository except for plugin manager.
>
> The reason?
>
> Because there is really no need to have them in the same repository and because I see no reason why the release cycle of python plugin must follow the same release cycle of QGIS itself (see the endless stream of bugs in DB manager, wouldn't be easier if we could make DB manager a rolling release that people can upgrade/downgrade like any other plugin?).
>
> From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++ code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary, I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.

Alessandro has summed up my thoughts exactly, but for completeness
I'll also add: the truth is that we are struggling to maintain the
existing "core" python plugins as it stands. I'm really dead against
adding thousands more lines of Python plugin code to the main repo -
we just DON'T have the developer power in the core team to maintain
this to a satisfactory level.

(Possibly controversial: it's the nature of Python itself which is the
root cause of the issues here. Thousands of lines of c++ code can be
almost entirely maintenance free. E.g. the evis plugin -- it's there,
it has NO unit tests, and no-one cares about it at all and no-one is
maintaining it, but... it still works, and will continue to do so
until we finally rip it out "just because".)

Nyall

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 21:28, Håvard Tveite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> One advantage of having it as a separate repository is that
> we can be more liberal when giving out commit rights to it.
>
> It would be OK for me to get commit rights for the plugin,
> but it would be scary to get commit rights for qgis/QGIS,
> knowing how much trouble one can cause by making simple
> mistakes... :-)

Agreed - and also important to note that doing development in
qgis/QGIS is MUCH MUCH slower and with a insanely vertical learning
curve. The rules for code integration in qgis/QGIS are very very
strict, the CI is extremely picky about code styling, spelling,
formatting, etc (all for good reason -- we SHOULD be extremely picky
about the code which lands in qgis/QGIS). There's a very large barrier
for entry for anyone to start contributing to qgis master code, which
would apply to the plugin as soon as it's moved into qgis/QGIS. It
would actually make development slower, put up more barriers for
entry, and will actively discourage community contributions...

Nyall

> Håvard
>
> On 17.02.2020 11:05, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please note that my previous statement was written assuming that it
> > should be in the qgis/QGIS repository (like processing).
> >
> > I don't expect that moving it to a new repository under the QGIS
> > organisation will help a lot (but it also won't hurt).
> >
> > If it's mostly about a place for this plugin to live, how about creating
> > a new `QGIS-Contribution` organisation where important, community
> > managed plugins are stored and developed?
> >
> > Matthias
> >

> > On 2/17/20 10:32 AM, Håvard Tveite wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Moving the Resource Sharing plugin from
> >> https://github.com/akbargumbira/qgis_resources_sharing to
> >> github.com/qgis/ResourceSharing (or whatever) is encouraged
> >> by Akbar - he has said that his interests have shifted and
> >> that he does not have much time for the plugin
> >> ([QGIS-Developer] on 27.03.2018, 00:07 and an email to
> >> Alessandro, Paolo and me 16.02.2020, 12:39).
> >>
> >> Apart from that, an advantage of moving the plugin (as a
> >> first step) is to give it a more "offical" QGIS stamp
> >> while we wait for it to be included in core.
> >>
> >> Håvard

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

pcav
Hi Nyall, others,

Il 18/02/20 00:05, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> Agreed - and also important to note that doing development in
> qgis/QGIS is MUCH MUCH slower and with a insanely vertical learning
> curve. The rules for code integration in qgis/QGIS are very very
> strict, the CI is extremely picky about code styling, spelling,
> formatting, etc (all for good reason -- we SHOULD be extremely picky
> about the code which lands in qgis/QGIS). There's a very large barrier
> for entry for anyone to start contributing to qgis master code, which
> would apply to the plugin as soon as it's moved into qgis/QGIS. It
> would actually make development slower, put up more barriers for
> entry, and will actively discourage community contributions...

OK, now I see your argument, which makes sense to me. So in short the
proposal would be to leave Python stuff outside of core, leaving the
integration at the packaging level. I would add an additional feature:
defining some of the plugins as default, and require their inclusion in
the installers. In this way the users will not have any impact (no loss
of existing functionality), and allow flexible release cycles, while
keeping the core clean.
Would this be OK for you?
An open question would be whether to split bugtrackers as well, or keep
them as they are now.
Cheers.

On 2/18/20 2:46 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Nyall, others,
>
> Il 18/02/20 00:05, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>
>> Agreed - and also important to note that doing development in
>> qgis/QGIS is MUCH MUCH slower and with a insanely vertical learning
>> curve. The rules for code integration in qgis/QGIS are very very
>> strict, the CI is extremely picky about code styling, spelling,
>> formatting, etc (all for good reason -- we SHOULD be extremely picky
>> about the code which lands in qgis/QGIS). There's a very large barrier
>> for entry for anyone to start contributing to qgis master code, which
>> would apply to the plugin as soon as it's moved into qgis/QGIS. It
>> would actually make development slower, put up more barriers for
>> entry, and will actively discourage community contributions...
> OK, now I see your argument, which makes sense to me. So in short the
> proposal would be to leave Python stuff outside of core, leaving the
> integration at the packaging level. I would add an additional feature:
> defining some of the plugins as default, and require their inclusion in
> the installers. In this way the users will not have any impact (no loss
> of existing functionality), and allow flexible release cycles, while
> keeping the core clean.
> Would this be OK for you?
> An open question would be whether to split bugtrackers as well, or keep
> them as they are now.
> Cheers.

Packaging python plugins into QGIS core also will tie the version and
update management to the main QGIS release cycle and reduce the
possibilities to fix bugs as they appear.

Many organizations hardly ever upgrade QGIS in months whereas plugins
can easily be updated anytime.

Shipping a package as part of QGIS de facto makes it a part of QGIS and
we should apply the hard QGIS Q/A rules on it so we can proudly present
it as an integral part of the application. Something we decided we do
not want here.

I think our best bet is leaving the plugin where it is and advertise it
broadly to make it known.

Matthias

On 18.02.2020 16:40, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> I think our best bet is leaving the plugin where it is and advertise it
> broadly to make it known.

I still don't understand why it would be a problem to just move
the plugin repository under to github.org/qgis.

Up sides:
* Akbar would like to "get rid of it", and this would help him
   achieve that
* The QGIS organisation would get some more control over the
   administration of this plugin. Everyone seems to agree that
   resource sharing is important, so some more control would
   be OK.
* The plugin would appear more "official".
* Simple to do - just copy the Akbars repository and give it a
   sensible name

Down sides:
* None provided

Håvard

Re: Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Alexander Bruy
You always can make a fork under your account or ask Akbar
to transfer ownership to you. This will give you all control and
will help to "get rid of it" and also simple to do.

вт, 18 лют. 2020 о 18:11 Håvard Tveite <[hidden email]> пише:

> On 18.02.2020 16:40, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> > I think our best bet is leaving the plugin where it is and advertise it
> > broadly to make it known.
>
> I still don't understand why it would be a problem to just move
> the plugin repository under to github.org/qgis.
>
> Up sides:
> * Akbar would like to "get rid of it", and this would help him
>    achieve that
> * The QGIS organisation would get some more control over the
>    administration of this plugin. Everyone seems to agree that
>    resource sharing is important, so some more control would
>    be OK.
> * The plugin would appear more "official".
> * Simple to do - just copy the Akbars repository and give it a
>    sensible name
>
> Down sides:
> * None provided
>
> Håvard