Resolved : Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Rémy Gourrat
This post was updated on .
Hello Jacky,

is it a great job to run Mg-Desktop on Androïd ?

Someone have thought about a road map ?

Java will be the way ?

Thanks for your advice

Rémy

AG-Carto - Bayonne

Re: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Rémy Gourrat

Sorry i missed this post with the answered of my question

Jackie said “It’s a big task…”, I trust him

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-offline-mode-td5069523.html

Rémy

AG-Carto - Bayonne

Re: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Hans Milling
I am involved in making an offline map viewer for IOS (iPad) at the company where I work. I can tell you how we did this:

1. Make an application that can extract the map, layers and feature sources from MapGuide. Our application creates some XML with all the settings for the layers (line with, color, labels etc.). The application should also extract the data from the feature sources. We invented our own binary file format to store the data tables, geometry etc. to allow very fast spatial searches and retrieval of data.
2. Make a web service that can feed the exported data to the IOS map viewer application on the iPad. The iPad app syncronizes once a day when the iPad is "at the office" on the WiFi network.
3. Create a render engine that will read the data files and render the map, with pinch zoom and various widgets to search the map, measure tools etc.

It takes a lot of time and effort, especially the render engine is a tough one, but it can be done even though you have no knowledge how to do it before you start. Our product is almost finished.

Best regards
  Hans Milling...

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Rémy Gourrat

Thanks Hans,

I’m just afraid by this work, we are not developers just users…

What’s your plan for this product :

-              Internal usage

-              Publish to Apple Store

-              Open Source

-              …

Rémy

AG-Carto - Bayonne

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Srecko Lipovsek
Hi,

Recently I play around with this Offline aproach on Android and it works very well:

- NUTITEQ for Android (http://www.nutiteq.com/) - build this and install on Android: https://github.com/nutiteq/hellomap3d/tree/master/AdvancedMap3D
- Create .MBTILES file with MOBAC (http://mobac.sourceforge.net/) or any other Softwate (TILEMIL) from any WMS source (even Mapguide). You need to add your WMS source manualy.
- Upload file to Android and open .MBTILES file in AdvancedMap3D sample and you have Offline mode on Android.

MBTILES file is SQLITE file with prerenderd tiles.
Tiles have to be in EPSG:3857 (World Mercator).

I have some problems connecting to Mapguide WMS (i didn't try latest version), so for Quick test I use local Geoserver.

It will be great if:
- Mapguide could support WMS Connection to entire MAP
- Or Mapguide could support creating MBTILES file directly (like TILECACHE in Maestro)

I belive that some small tools have to be created here for manipulating and refreshing MBTILES files, but I belive that this can be made very quickly.

Perhaps even Jackie's mapguide-rest could help here ...

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Jackie Ng
Yes, definitely go with mbtiles.

http://themapguyde.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/oh-hey-it-works.html

:)

- Jackie

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Rémy Gourrat

Waow ! Congratulations !

Rémy

AG-Carto - Bayonne

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Jackie Ng
If you can accept for practical purposes that "MapGuide on Android" is nothing more than getting data/tiles out of MapGuide into a desirable format that <your android map viewer app/library of choice> can consume, then there's many different ways to approach the problem.

- Jackie

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Rémy Gourrat

with Mg-Desktop we can go on the field with a windows tab but the tab is expensive and heavy.

Today, Users doesn’t understand why they can’t go to the field with their Gis office Map on her phone or tab offline.

Some app with Google do that, why not my Gis ?

So for me, it’s a first easy answered for waiting something more powerfull.

Rémy

AG-Carto - Bayonne

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Srecko Lipovsek
Jackie,

How did you create MBTILES file, with mapguide-rest?

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Jackie Ng
I used Portable Basemap Server (https://geopbs.codeplex.com/)

They have a online -> mbtiles converter/seeder function. Just register a mapguide-rest XYZ url to your tiled map, draw your bounding box of interest, hit the start button and it will seed the mbtiles database for you.

It took ~25mins to seed the Sheboygan tiled map as an XYZ dataset with PBS. YMMV.

- Jackie

RE: Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Srecko Lipovsek
Ok,