Quantcast

Reset GISDBASE for GRASS plugin

Micha Silver
How can I get out of this loop:
Starting QGIS I get this error:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'QgsGrass::Exception'
  what():  G_getenv(): Variable GISDBASE not set

If I start with qgis --noplugins it opens, without GRASS, of course. But
there's no way now to reset the GISDBASE without the plugin. Catch 22...

I'm on Scientific Linux 6.1 with a self compiled version 1.7. Where can
I find QGIS settings for the GRASS plugin?

Thanks,
Micha

Re: Reset GISDBASE for GRASS plugin

Micha Silver
(responding to myself)
Found it: unset GISRC
Now QGIS starts properly, and asks for the path to the GISDBASE, etc

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 12:31 +0300, Micha Silver wrote:

> How can I get out of this loop:
> Starting QGIS I get this error:
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'QgsGrass::Exception'
>   what():  G_getenv(): Variable GISDBASE not set
>
> If I start with qgis --noplugins it opens, without GRASS, of course. But
> there's no way now to reset the GISDBASE without the plugin. Catch 22...
>
> I'm on Scientific Linux 6.1 with a self compiled version 1.7. Where can
> I find QGIS settings for the GRASS plugin?
>
> Thanks,
> Micha

Re: Reset GISDBASE for GRASS plugin

Brad Nesom
On winxp

Apparently I already knew that. (just forgot)
I have system variables as follows...
GISDBASE = c:\documents and Settings\userprofile myname\GrassData\HLND_Data\HLND
GISRC = c:\documents and setting/userprofile myname/.grass6
GRASSDIR = C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile myname\GrassData

However since updating my osgeo4w installation I now have no .grass6 file.
And there is a .grassrc6 file and a .grasswx6 file.
grass starts (standalone) but the error in qgis persists.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Micha Silver <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19/09/2011 17:21, Brad Nesom wrote:

@Micha,
I have this exact problem on osge4w.
where did you unset GISRC?

I did that from the Linux terminal. On Windows try this:

Browse to (on Win 7) C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\

and find the most recent folder named grass6--wxyz (ends in 4 random digits). Inside that folder is a gisrc file. Edit the file to reflect the correct GISDBASE path.  Maybe that will help.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Micha Silver <[hidden email]> wrote:
(responding to myself)
Found it: unset GISRC
Now QGIS starts properly, and asks for the path to the GISDBASE, etc

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 12:31 +0300, Micha Silver wrote:
> How can I get out of this loop:
> Starting QGIS I get this error:
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'QgsGrass::Exception'
>   what():  G_getenv(): Variable GISDBASE not set
>
> If I start with qgis --noplugins it opens, without GRASS, of course. But
> there's no way now to reset the GISDBASE without the plugin. Catch 22...
>
> I'm on Scientific Linux 6.1 with a self compiled version 1.7. Where can
> I find QGIS settings for the GRASS plugin?
>
> Thanks,
> Micha

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 10:02 -0500, Brad Nesom wrote:
On winxp

Apparently I already knew that. (just forgot)
I have system variables as follows...
GISDBASE = c:\documents and Settings\userprofile myname\GrassData\HLND_Data\HLND
GISRC = c:\documents and setting/userprofile myname/.grass6
GRASSDIR = C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile myname\GrassData

However since updating my osgeo4w installation I now have no .grass6 file.
And there is a .grassrc6 file and a .grasswx6 file.

I think those are from GRASS itslef, not QGIS.

grass starts (standalone) but the error in qgis persists.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that QGIS doesn't even use these .files anymore on Windows, but rather puts everything into the windows registry.