Researching Processors for MGOS

Tim Price

Happy Friday Everyone,

We’re beginning the process of looking at a speedy Dell windows server for a MGOS3.1/Rest/custom viewer installation for a concurrent user base of 10-20 staff. (total staff 100-150) We rely heavily on tile definitions, load procedures and MS SQL vector data sources with many filters/expressions/theming/schema overrides on the layers. FDO is looking at gdal rasters, shape and MS sql.

We currently run a Intel E5-2690 (8 core, 16 thread) processor with all MG services on that hardware server. It runs no other applications. What we can gleam form our setup is that the per-core performance seems to be more important than RAM or number of cores of a MGOS installation in our configuration. This is because RAM and # cores is generous on most servers these days. We are studying https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html . Can anyone confirm that per-core performance is what we are really after or provide additional advice?

Thanks,

-Tim

Re: Researching Processors for MGOS

Martin Morrison

Per core performance is a good thing…

However, you don’t mention disk access.  I would spend more on faster disks/SSDs than cores.

Martin Morrison
Infrastructure Application Engineer/Systems Analyst
 Engineering Design Systems, Inc.
540.345.1410
[hidden email]

cid:image001.jpg@01D2249F.40681A50