Request of the OSGeo's OGC Standards membership slot

Request of the OSGeo's OGC Standards membership slot

Cameron Shorter
Hi OSGeo standards folks,
I'd like to request access to one of OSGeo's OGC standards slots. From now until the end of the year, I'm planning to help address a problem with web-mapping.

The world is using the dynamic WGS84 datum as it were static - which is resulting in map misalignment problems. This is an international problem, which should be done with the collaboration of the OGC, and I'd like to engage within OGC forums as part of this.

A more detailed description of the problem is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uBX2qICODRkiHXeksT0zEy6TuysanIxuc4anV0o5F0

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Request of the OSGeo's OGC Standards membership slot

Bruce Bannerman-3
OK by me Cameron.

As an aside:

  • I have not heard WGS84 referred to as a dynamic datum before. I do know of several WGS 84 Epochs though. This dynamic datum issue will not be a simple issue to resolve.

  • Personally, I don’t believe that it will be viable for many, many years (if ever) to manage our data within the context of a dynamic data as is proposed by some.

  • As a former spatial data manager with a data inventory in the PB, I believe that it is just too impractical currently to use a dynamic datum to control our vast global holdings and software.

  • When we consider the widespread, global ignorance of the need to manage and utilse data within an appropriate SRS framework, it is an issue that will not be resolved either easily, or in the short term.

@Standards list,

FOR ACTION:

We have one spare OGC Membership slot avalable currently.

Do we have any objections to Cameron using this slot?

If so, please advise this list by 1400hr 24th July 2019 UTC and I’ll start a selection process. If not, I’ll advise OGC of Cameron’s nomination for this slot.

Kind regards,

Bruce Bannerman

On 14 Jul 2019, at 08:20, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi OSGeo standards folks,
I'd like to request access to one of OSGeo's OGC standards slots. From now until the end of the year, I'm planning to help address a problem with web-mapping.

The world is using the dynamic WGS84 datum as it were static - which is resulting in map misalignment problems. This is an international problem, which should be done with the collaboration of the OGC, and I'd like to engage within OGC forums as part of this.

A more detailed description of the problem is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uBX2qICODRkiHXeksT0zEy6TuysanIxuc4anV0o5F0

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Request of the OSGeo's OGC Standards membership slot

Cameron Shorter

Thanks Bruce, answers to comments below. (Longer version in the paper linked at the end)

On 17/7/19 12:15 pm, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
OK by me Cameron.

As an aside:

  • I have not heard WGS84 referred to as a dynamic datum before. I do know of several WGS 84 Epochs though. This dynamic datum issue will not be a simple issue to resolve.

WGS84 is earth fixed, which means a feature's coordinates described in WGS84 will shift over time, in line with tectonic plate shift.

Yes, WGS84 has had 6 "realisations" to date, but these have been refinements to the alignment of the WGS84 ellipsoid. It doesn't account for tectonic plate shift.

  • Personally, I don’t believe that it will be viable for many, many years (if ever) to manage our data within the context of a dynamic data as is proposed by some.
Storing in the time dependent ITRF or ATRF is a separate issue to what is being discussed in this paper.

  • As a former spatial data manager with a data inventory in the PB, I believe that it is just too impractical currently to use a dynamic datum to control our vast global holdings and software.
A static datum can be used still. The important thing is we need to know whether we are using static or dynamic and not get them confused.

  • When we consider the widespread, global ignorance of the need to manage and utilse data within an appropriate SRS framework, it is an issue that will not be resolved either easily, or in the short term.
Yes, very hard problem. One that is very important to solve. Odds of success are tough. Challenge accepted. :)

[...]

Allan Doyle-2
Coincidentally, there’s a blog post about this topic regarding OSM here:

Discussion on Hacker News:

On Jul 17, 2019, at 1:04 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Fwd: Request of the OSGeo's OGC Standards membership slot

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hello Van,

We would like to nominate Cameron Shorter for our remaining OGC OSGeo membership.

Kind regards,

Bruce Bannerman

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Fwd: Request of the OSGeo's OGC Standards membership slot

Cameron Shorter

Thanks Bruce.

Van, is there anything you require from me to complete the process?