Request for Travel Grant to attend FOSDEM Geospatial devroom

Request for Travel Grant to attend FOSDEM Geospatial devroom

vidhan jain
Hi everyone,

My name is Vidhan Jain and I am an undergraduate student from India. This year, I participated in Google Summer of Code as an intern with the OSGeo organization working on the "Rewrite of Turn Restriction Shortest Path Algorithm in PgRouting" project. More details related to my project can be found in [1]. I am currently mentoring pre-university students(13-17 years) with OSGeo in Google Code-In.

I had submitted a proposal for presenting my GSoC project and sharing my experience of contributing to OSGeo in FOSDEM'18 under geospatial devroom to be held on 3rd and 4rth of February in Brussels, Belgium. I am grateful to the conveners of the conference for accepting my proposal. Unfortunately, due to lack of financial resource, I am unable to commit my presence. Therefore, I request a travel grant of 500 USD based on [2] to attend the conference.

FOSDEM is a two-day event organized by volunteers to promote the widespread use of free and open source software. More details related to FOSDEM can be found in [3].

Best Regards,
Vidhan Jain

Re: Request for Travel Grant to attend FOSDEM Geospatial devroom

Eli Adam
Hi Vidhan,

Excellent work on GSoC and the Google Code-In!  Congrats on having
your proposal to FOSDEM'18 devroom accepted.

To my knowledge, the conference committee is not actively running a
travel grant program for FOSSDEM'18 devroom or anything else right
now.  Details of how this will work seem to still be under discussion,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2017-November/003884.html,
mostly within the GSoC realm.  If the discussion leads to GSoC admins
approaching the conference committee to run a travel grant program,
the process of applying would be determined after that.

 Best regards, Eli

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM, vidhan jain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Vidhan Jain and I am an undergraduate student from India. This year, I participated in Google Summer of Code as an intern with the OSGeo organization working on the "Rewrite of Turn Restriction Shortest Path Algorithm in PgRouting" project. More details related to my project can be found in [1]. I am currently mentoring pre-university students(13-17 years) with OSGeo in Google Code-In.
>
> I had submitted a proposal for presenting my GSoC project and sharing my experience of contributing to OSGeo in FOSDEM'18 under geospatial devroom to be held on 3rd and 4rth of February in Brussels, Belgium. I am grateful to the conveners of the conference for accepting my proposal. Unfortunately, due to lack of financial resource, I am unable to commit my presence. Therefore, I request a travel grant of 500 USD based on [2] to attend the conference.
>
> FOSDEM is a two-day event organized by volunteers to promote the widespread use of free and open source software. More details related to FOSDEM can be found in [3].
>
> [1]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2017/projects/4730835743801344/
>
> [2]: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2017-November/003881.html
>
> [3]: https://fosdem.org/2018/
>
> Best Regards,
> Vidhan Jain

Re: Request for Travel Grant to attend FOSDEM Geospatial devroom

margherita
Dear Eli,

Thank you for your reply. The student wrote to you because was addressed by me. Unfortunately the more emails I exchanged on these travel grant requests, the less I grasp about how they are handled by OSGeo. That’s surely my fault, I didn’t dig into the past history to see how they were assigned.
As GSoC program, we had received by google 500USD specifically for travel grant for a GSoC student and we already assigned it to another student. Now, as Jody in the thread you cited, had mentioned the mobility program run by the conference committee, we thought to address the student to request an equivalent travel grant from it. But this really seems over complicated. Are there guidelines on how this works? Otherwise I really think OSGeo should create them. And I would like to see also the GSoC mentors participating into the discussion, because so far they didn’t agree upon a common way to spend GSoC money. Besides, this topic has been so far split into so many mailing lists that is even hard to find a history for it.
At moment, i can only see it clear that we have a problem, we have money coming in, we have no agreement on how to spend it, we have students that could make good use of it, and we lack a simple and straightforward procedure to allow them to do so. I don’t think should be only the board decision, but i’d really welcome a discussion within the community at large, including mentors, conference committee and charter members.

Than you

Best regards