Request for Proposals "FOSS4G 2019"

Till Adams-3
Dear Community!

Today and with this email OSGeo's Conference Committee (CC) publishes
the "call for proposals" for our global FOSS4G event in 2019. As you all
know, it is likely that FOSS4G 2019 will take place in Europe.

If you/your team is interested to participate, please have a deep look
onto our 2019 RfP WIKI page [1].

Please especially internalize the time schedule and ensure that at least
*one* member of your team signs on OSGeo's conference mailing list [2].
This list is the central communication platform that will be used
through the whole RFP process.

For the first stage, we expect a letter of intent (LoI) from every
bidding team (see section on WIKI page [1] and the appropriate section
in the RFP document [3]). The deadline for LoI's is september 29th 2017.

In case of any questions at any time, you may consult CC's mailing list.
Also scroll through the OSGeo-WIKI, you'll find tons of information on
past RFP processes - regarding what others did might be very helpful.

One last important information:

While finalizing the RFP document for 2019 we recognized, that there is
an open motion in CC, that probably will lead to a change in the voting
meachanism on LoI's. This motion ends today, so it overlaps unluckily
with the start of the RFP process.
The *old* voting mechanism, as described in the RFP-document [3],
determines that every CC member has one vote and that all LoI's with a
minimum of 3 votes pass to stage 2.
It is likely that we will change this to a "thumbs up/thumbs down"-vote.
This means, that every member of CC votes on every LoI. LoI's that
receive more than 50% of "thumbs up"-votes will pass stage 1 and are
then requested to prepare a full proposal.
!! Please also note, that this motion only aims on the voting mechanism
for stage 1 and does not touch the final decision process !!

Before I leave you alone with all your work to be done, I can say the
following: Having passed the full process on my own recently, I can
really encourage you to participate. Organizing a global FOSS4G is
probably *some* work, but mostly it is fun! So, don't hesitate, let
become your dream of a FOSS4G in your city true and make the barkeepers
in your town happy ;-) !

So go ahead and have fun!

Till (on behalf of OSGeo's Conference Commttee)

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_Bid_Process
[3]
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2019/FOSS4G2019-request-for-proposal.pdf

[RfP FOSS4G 2019] reminder: LoI period ends soon!

Till Adams-3

Dear potential teams for the 2019 conference!

This is just a reminder, you all might know, that the first stage for handing in your Letter of Interest will end tomorrow, 29th of September!

Just some notes again:

- Send your LoI to this list, we will then add your team on the WIKi here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_Bid_Process

- Please make sure that at least one person out of your team is registered on this list (otherwise you also might not get this info as well ;-)) and that this person has the power to answer potential questions, that might arise. The Q&A is an essential part of the decision process of the CC members!

- Please make sure, that you do not exceed the max. of 2 pages (and also consider, that using font size 3 is not the best solution). If your LoI will be accepted, you will have enough space to present all of your ideas in detail in your full proposal.

- As we did not mention a time zone with the RfP, I just can say, that we will not watch the clock and refuse LoI's, that come in some hours late. But please respect the 29th as our deadline, so when handing in, somewhere on this world should still be the 29th of September ;-)

- If you did not follow this list briefly, I can now tell you, that we indeed changed the voting system as already lined out in the RfP call. So the procedure will be as follows: Every CC member has one thumb up/down vote per LoI and if more than 50% of all (handed in) thumbs show up, you are accepted for stage 2.
Just to make this clear, one example:

-> CC has 16 members listed (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee)

-> 13 of them vote on your LoI

-> if you receive at least 7 "thumbs up", you are in!

Happy to receive your LoI's soon, if anything is not clear, don't hesitate to ask!

Till

Betreff: Request for Proposals "FOSS4G 2019"

Re: [RfP FOSS4G 2019] reminder: LoI period ends soon!

delawen
Hi,

LOI incoming, it is hard to write all we want to write in just two pages!

(Not sure about others...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmOWsXDMwqM

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eli Adam
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear potential teams for the 2019 conference!
>
> This is just a reminder, you all might know, that the first stage for handing in your Letter of Interest will end tomorrow, 29th of September!
>
> Just some notes again:
>
> - Send your LoI to this list, we will then add your team on the WIKi here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_Bid_Process
>
> - Please make sure that at least one person out of your team is registered on this list (otherwise you also might not get this info as well ;-)) and that this person has the power to answer potential questions, that might arise. The Q&A is an essential part of the decision process of the CC members!

Some additional commentary here, subscribe to the list for individual
threads and use the correct threads for posts and replys.  Do not use
digest mode.  There can be a lot of email in the question periods and
keeping the threads straight will help committee members read the
relevant aspects of your proposal while reviewing things.

Looking forward to the LOI(s) and great proposal(s)!  LOCs always do
such a great job.

Merry Mapping, Eli

> [...]
> then requested to prepare a full proposal.
> !! Please also note, that this motion only aims on the voting mechanism
> for stage 1 and does not touch the final decision process !!
>

> Before I leave you alone with all your work to be done, I can say the
> following: Having passed the full process on my own recently, I can
> really encourage you to participate. Organizing a global FOSS4G is
> probably *some* work, but mostly it is fun! So, don't hesitate, let
> become your dream of a FOSS4G in your city true and make the barkeepers
> in your town happy ;-) !
>
> So go ahead and have fun!
>
> Till (on behalf of OSGeo's Conference Commttee)
>

> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_Bid_Process
> [3]
> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2019/FOSS4G2019-request-for-proposal.pdf

Re: [RfP FOSS4G 2019] reminder: LoI period ends soon!

Vasile Crăciunescu
It seems to be some kind of delay on the list. The Bucharest LoI was
sent some 20 minutes ago and does not appear in the archive. Or maybe is
due to the attachment...

Best,
Vasile

On 9/28/17 11:34 AM, Till Adams wrote:

> [...]
> then requested to prepare a full proposal.
> !! Please also note, that this motion only aims on the voting mechanism
> for stage 1 and does not touch the final decision process !!
>

> Before I leave you alone with all your work to be done, I can say the
> following: Having passed the full process on my own recently, I can
> really encourage you to participate. Organizing a global FOSS4G is
> probably *some* work, but mostly it is fun! So, don't hesitate, let
> become your dream of a FOSS4G in your city true and make the barkeepers
> in your town happy ;-) !
>
> So go ahead and have fun!
>
> Till (on behalf of OSGeo's Conference Commttee)
>

> [1]https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_Bid_Process
> [3]
> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2019/FOSS4G2019-request-for-proposal.pdf

Re: [RfP FOSS4G 2019] reminder: LoI period ends soon!

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Vasile Craciunescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems to be some kind of delay on the list. The Bucharest LoI was sent

Yes, there have been intermittent list delays.  If you want to read
details of this, https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2001

> some 20 minutes ago and does not appear in the archive. Or maybe is due to
> the attachment...

In the archive now,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-September/004496.html

(although not in my personal email inbox)

Best regards, Eli