Reporting back form FOSS4G-NA TGP

jody.garnett
Reporting back from a successful TGP from the recent foss4gna event:
- Raised $7500 in funding, allocated $6500 in grants, not all of which was distributed (see below...)
- Offered 3 $1000 grants suitable for North American travel, 25 applicants, 5 awarded, 3 delivered. We chose to award more than the stated 3 grants due to uneven response. For those grants awarded but not delivered were due to individual circumstances (not noticing the conference was in April, lacking permission to attend from their supervisor).
- Offered 10 $250 grants suitable for regional travel, 5 applicants / awarded / distributed.
- Offered 10 conference grants suitable for local delegates, 4 applicants, 4 awarded and distributed.
- We looked at using a pre-paid cashcard (gift card) but were unable to sort out the logistics in time (as very detailed personal information is required). Ended up using cashier's checks to successfully distribute grants as applicants checked in at event reception.

The vast majority of respondents from out of region. As a regional event our funding raising was not intended or appropriate to meet this demand. All applicants from North America were successful before prioritizing South American (same timezone) and elsewhere.

Thanks to the selection committee, especially Thad Kerosky for thoughtful review of applicants. And a big thanks to Steve Feldman for anonymizing the applications and for advice and tips in running this activity.

Also thanks to Cesium.JS and Azevea for sponsoring.

Here is web page the application form to be used as an example
--
Jody Garnett

Re: Reporting back form FOSS4G-NA TGP

delawen
Thanks Jody!

Any lessons learned about the process to select the applicants? Like, did you do any publicity or contact universities or did they come on their own?

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stevenfeldman
Thanks for that feedback Jody it is very useful

Some of your observations match my own when reviewing applications to the first phase of the FOSS4G 2019 TGP.

Bucharest are receiving very high levels of interest from people living outside of the region, particularly from Africa (perhaps this was triggered by the success of last years event and TGP?). We need to consider how we respond to this interest in future, A few $1000 grants won’t do the job and more would be a financial challenge for us and one might argue is counter-productive from a community and environmental basis. Perhaps we need to seed fund a substantial regional event in Africa and support it both with cash and by encouraging some of our leadership and sponsors to get involved.

Thoughts for the next rounds of the TGP?
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 6 May 2019, at 20:55, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

tadams
Dear Jody,

also from me - thanks for the update and for running the TGP in NA! Happy to see, that F4G NA made it happen, that also sponsors contributed to the TGP. Did you directly ask them or how did you make this happen?

Following up on Steven's comments, I had similar thoughts. For me, running a FOSS4G has always a regional effect, I think this is also part of the intention, letting FOSS4G travel around the world. On the other hand, it is dangerous to evoke regional interest in FOSS4G/OSGeo and afterwards not to be able to follow up. Of course, this is the task of regional events to take place and was - in my eyes - already part of the discussion on "How much is a FOSS4G allowed to cost?" - it simply shows how important it is to establish more regional events and to support them. And this is - Steven said it already - a financial challenge and goes beyond the capacities of our TGP.

Maybe we can take this up inside CC and discuss how we can support establishing and run regional events ... ?

Till

Re: Reporting back form FOSS4G-NA TGP

jody.garnett
Not so much lessons learned as discussion points (the lessons to be applied depend on what a given event is wishing to accomplish).

A lot comes down to the form:
- Having a clear form was very helpful in that we got clear answers aiding the review
- Asking confirmation questions ("do you need a visa") was more affective then a disclaimer indicating a visa was the applicants responsibility
- Taking folks at their word on diversity questions (self identified minority visible or otherwise) allowed us to meet our goals while respecting folks privacy
- Happy to discuss any of the form questions if the email list is interested....

Effectiveness:
- Clearly fewer larger travel grants is needed for the North American event. While Air travel is so much cheaper in the USA (not as cheap as Europe) the price of accomidation really underscored the fact that these travel grants were not intended to be a sole source of funding
(while we were clear that the grant could not be the sole source of funding it also means we were not able to reach
- We carefully respected applicants privacy making with no requests on their time. As an example they could thank sponsors if they wished but that was up to them. Our goal was for recipients to participate in the conference and share their enthusiasm with their community back home.

FOSS4G global and regional interplay:
- The response showed a strong desire for an event in Africa (we hard more applicants from Nigeria than the US for example). To follow our regional foss4g model we would need folks in Africa to put on such an event - have there been any parties expressing an interest?
- We did not get enough applicants from the North American region (an indication that there was not enough money being offered)
- We did not get enough applicants for even the free conference ticket grants intended to support the local region ...
- Several applicants were working from the foss4g 2018 playbook emphasising OSM experience and community building rather than open source. Next time we do a joint event we will have to remember to emphasis our OSGeo vision a bit more.

We tried a couple "community participation" questions and approaches that may be of interest as one of our stated goals was community building:
- All the recipients had some plan to share their experience with others
- We listed "speaker with accepted presentation" and "instructor with accepted workshop" and "contributed signed up to the code sprint" as an avenue to support any community members in need of assistance (since we did not offer speakers free conference tickets at this event). Was pleased to see that taken up by at least one applicant.
- FOSS4GNA also offered a discount to contributors signed up to the code sprint" which supported our goal of community building. But because editing the wiki requires a wiki login (and wiki login's were not being handled the other month) it ended up being elitist rather than outreach

--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 01:50, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For the regional foss4g events I think it is appropriate to limit to the region (North America / Oceana) but I am hesitant to limit applicants for the global event?

Still I guess it is up to the goals of the local organizing committee (if they are using the event to kickstart the local community then they may wish to use the TGP to that end). I recommend being very clear in the form ...

I am not sure if I can determine if a few $1000 grants would help in the short term or not. Long term I expect supporting a foss4g community in Africa (or any region) is best done via the Local Chapters holding an event rather than the TGP.

Would the conference committee be willing to accept bids from local chapters to host a foss4g Africa? Are bids even needed since there was a 2017 event?
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 02:30, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We included the opportunity to sponsor the TGP program on an email to sponsors, and the opportunity was also included in the web page above. Even with that outreach one sponsor came forward looking for TGP program opportunity before we had a chance to ask.

With respect to regional events you are reminded that the North America region is heading into a time of "rebooting" foss4gna. We were able to run this event due to the quick action / leadership of Jeff Johnson, but going forward we need to setup how to make the process fair/affordable/effective. So far my best ideas are either to a) lean into the local chapters (even though we do not have a lot of them) and ask if they wish to bid on the event b) cast a wider reach for partnerships setting it up as a joint event between local chapters and whatever other players are interested. I am going to take my ideas to the foss4g na core committee in a bit, we have until 2020 to sort something out :)

As for how much is a foss4g allowed to cost, we continue to run the OSGeo budget so we can run a couple of global events with no profit. For the regional events OSGeo is willing to act as a backstop as per budget and money guidance.
--
Jody Garnett