Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Dimitri Chausson
Hello all,

I recently installed Geoserver in combination with Oracle data. Everything
worked great with the connection and adding features (layers). But I have
problems when it comes to the WMS.
Using a bounding box query on a (quite) dense street network, I always get a
kind of "crown" of streets at the edge of the bounding box. If I use a bigger
bounding box, I should logically see the streets nearer from the center of the
bounding box, but it is not the case: I still see streets at the border of the
bbox, there is less space between them (which is normal).

It looks like the query returns only streets which touches the border of the
bounding box.
When checking the query sent to Oracle in the logs, everything looks ok.

Here is the query:

SELECT "ID", "GEOM" FROM "MN_NW" WHERE
SDO_RELATE("GEOM",MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2003,8307,NULL,MDSYS.SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,1),MDSYS.SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(22.45,60.2,22.45,60.3,22.7,60.3,22.7,60.2,22.45,60.2)),'mask=anyinteract
querytype=WINDOW') = 'TRUE'

so I think it is correct. mask=anyinteract looks fine. The query in an SQL
client returns 132 records. The log in geoservers reports "hits 87 ,requests 132"
A count of the "applying symbolizer" messages in the logs shows that the
renderer actually drew 132 objects.

Using EPSG 4326,

the first (little) bbox is:   22.45, 60.2, 22.7, 60.3
the second (bigger) bbox is:  22.3 , 60.1, 22.9, 60.4

You can see the results in attachement. Any hint/help greatly appreciated,

Dimitri

big_bbox1.png (6K) Download Attachment
little_bbox1.png (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Chris Holmes-2
This is very odd.  Oracle always baffles me.  I've changed the bbox in
oracle several times, as the anyinteract didn't seem to give a real
disjoint in my tests, but then users complained it was far, far slower,
so I changed it back.  But I believe they said it worked fine.

Does the WFS return similar results?  If you use udig -
http://udig.refractions.net then it will render the WFS stuff for you
(though it doesn't fully eliminate the possible source of the error,
since they use the same renderer as us.)  You also could maybe just
look at the WFS results, and see if you have about the same
results/number of results, figure out if it's actually getting the
stuff in the center.  This will tell us if it's a problem with the
renderer or the datastore.  Though it's a bit weird, if the query looks
right, as we've never seen that problem before, afaik.

You also could try exporting the data to shapefile, see how that works.
The other recent changes are in the coordinate transform - is this
doing a transform, or is it stored and requested in 4326?

Chris

Quoting Dimitri Chausson <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently installed Geoserver in combination with Oracle data.
> Everything
> worked great with the connection and adding features (layers). But I
> have
> problems when it comes to the WMS.
> Using a bounding box query on a (quite) dense street network, I
> always get a
> kind of "crown" of streets at the edge of the bounding box. If I use
> a bigger
> bounding box, I should logically see the streets nearer from the
> center of the
> bounding box, but it is not the case: I still see streets at the
> border of the
> bbox, there is less space between them (which is normal).
>
> It looks like the query returns only streets which touches the border
> of the
> bounding box.
> When checking the query sent to Oracle in the logs, everything looks
> ok.
>
> Here is the query:
>
> SELECT "ID", "GEOM" FROM "MN_NW" WHERE

SDO_RELATE("GEOM",MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2003,8307,NULL,MDSYS.SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,1),MDSYS.SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(22.45,60.2,22.45,60.3,22.7,60.3,22.7,60.2,22.45,60.2)),'mask=anyinteract

> querytype=WINDOW') = 'TRUE'
>
> so I think it is correct. mask=anyinteract looks fine. The query in
> an SQL
> client returns 132 records. The log in geoservers reports "hits 87
> ,requests 132"
> A count of the "applying symbolizer" messages in the logs shows that
> the
> renderer actually drew 132 objects.
>

> Using EPSG 4326,
>
> the first (little) bbox is:   22.45, 60.2, 22.7, 60.3
> the second (bigger) bbox is:  22.3 , 60.1, 22.9, 60.4
>
> You can see the results in attachement. Any hint/help greatly
> appreciated,
>
> Dimitri

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Chris Holmes-2
Hey, is there any chance this might be your problem?

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-427

See if reversing the ordinate order gives you more results.  Hopefully
we should have an oracle instance we can test against soon.  Or if you
can get dirty with java code I can show you how to do it.

Chris

Quoting Dimitri Chausson <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently installed Geoserver in combination with Oracle data.
> Everything
> worked great with the connection and adding features (layers). But I
> have
> problems when it comes to the WMS.
> Using a bounding box query on a (quite) dense street network, I
> always get a
> kind of "crown" of streets at the edge of the bounding box. If I use
> a bigger
> bounding box, I should logically see the streets nearer from the
> center of the
> bounding box, but it is not the case: I still see streets at the
> border of the
> bbox, there is less space between them (which is normal).
>
> It looks like the query returns only streets which touches the border
> of the
> bounding box.
> When checking the query sent to Oracle in the logs, everything looks
> ok.
>
> Here is the query:
>
> SELECT "ID", "GEOM" FROM "MN_NW" WHERE

SDO_RELATE("GEOM",MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2003,8307,NULL,MDSYS.SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,1),MDSYS.SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(22.45,60.2,22.45,60.3,22.7,60.3,22.7,60.2,22.45,60.2)),'mask=anyinteract

> querytype=WINDOW') = 'TRUE'
>
> so I think it is correct. mask=anyinteract looks fine. The query in
> an SQL
> client returns 132 records. The log in geoservers reports "hits 87
> ,requests 132"
> A count of the "applying symbolizer" messages in the logs shows that
> the
> renderer actually drew 132 objects.
>

> Using EPSG 4326,
>
> the first (little) bbox is:   22.45, 60.2, 22.7, 60.3
> the second (bigger) bbox is:  22.3 , 60.1, 22.9, 60.4
>
> You can see the results in attachement. Any hint/help greatly
> appreciated,
>
> Dimitri

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Chris Holmes-2
Hey, if you guys, or anyone, could test this, i put a fix on the issue:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-427  It's not committed on head, as I
don't have oracle, but I think it should work.  The jar is attached to the
issue, you can download it from the web page (along with the patch if you
have the source code...)  Dmitri, I'm not 100% sure this is your problem -
geoff, I'm pretty sure this is exactly your problem.

Chris

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Chris Holmes wrote:

> Hey, is there any chance this might be your problem?
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-427
>
> See if reversing the ordinate order gives you more results.  Hopefully
> we should have an oracle instance we can test against soon.  Or if you
> can get dirty with java code I can show you how to do it.
>
> Chris
>
> Quoting Dimitri Chausson <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I recently installed Geoserver in combination with Oracle data.
> > Everything
> > worked great with the connection and adding features (layers). But I
> > have
> > problems when it comes to the WMS.
> > Using a bounding box query on a (quite) dense street network, I
> > always get a
> > kind of "crown" of streets at the edge of the bounding box. If I use
> > a bigger
> > bounding box, I should logically see the streets nearer from the
> > center of the
> > bounding box, but it is not the case: I still see streets at the
> > border of the
> > bbox, there is less space between them (which is normal).
> >
> > It looks like the query returns only streets which touches the border
> > of the
> > bounding box.
> > When checking the query sent to Oracle in the logs, everything looks
> > ok.
> >
> > Here is the query:
> >
> > SELECT "ID", "GEOM" FROM "MN_NW" WHERE
> >
> SDO_RELATE("GEOM",MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2003,8307,NULL,MDSYS.SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,1),MDSYS.SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(22.45,60.2,22.45,60.3,22.7,60.3,22.7,60.2,22.45,60.2)),'mask=anyinteract
> > querytype=WINDOW') = 'TRUE'
> >
> > so I think it is correct. mask=anyinteract looks fine. The query in
> > an SQL
> > client returns 132 records. The log in geoservers reports "hits 87
> > ,requests 132"
> > A count of the "applying symbolizer" messages in the logs shows that
> > the
> > renderer actually drew 132 objects.
> >

> > Using EPSG 4326,
> >
> > the first (little) bbox is:   22.45, 60.2, 22.7, 60.3
> > the second (bigger) bbox is:  22.3 , 60.1, 22.9, 60.4
> >
> > You can see the results in attachement. Any hint/help greatly
> > appreciated,
> >
> > Dimitri

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Dimitri Chausson
Hi Chris,

querying the Oracle database actually returns a lot more records when bbox is
given counterclockwise.. This could be the problem.
Yet I tried to use the new jar attached to the Request 427 without success.
Is it simply necessary to replace the gt2-oracle-spatial.jar with the one you
provide, then restart the server ? I am not sure I did it the right way.

Dimitri

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:46:42PM -0400, Chris Holmes wrote:

> [...]
> > > an SQL
> > > client returns 132 records. The log in geoservers reports "hits 87
> > > ,requests 132"
> > > A count of the "applying symbolizer" messages in the logs shows that
> > > the
> > > renderer actually drew 132 objects.
> > >

> > > Using EPSG 4326,
> > >
> > > the first (little) bbox is:   22.45, 60.2, 22.7, 60.3
> > > the second (bigger) bbox is:  22.3 , 60.1, 22.9, 60.4
> > >
> > > You can see the results in attachement. Any hint/help greatly
> > > appreciated,
> > >
> > > Dimitri

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Chris Holmes-2
> Hi Chris,
>
> querying the Oracle database actually returns a lot more records when bbox is
> given counterclockwise.. This could be the problem.
Cool.

> Yet I tried to use the new jar attached to the Request 427 without success.
> Is it simply necessary to replace the gt2-oracle-spatial.jar with the one you
> provide, then restart the server ? I am not sure I did it the right way.
Yeah, that should be all that's needed.  I could have messed it up.  Make
sure you replace the old one, and that it's in the WEB-INF/lib directory
of your running server.  Check the sql statement and see if it's being
issued right.  I can try to build it again.

If we could chat on irc or yahoo messenger we may be able to get this done
faster...  It's annoying when I don't have an oracle instance of my own.

Chris

> Dimitri
>

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:46:42PM -0400, Chris Holmes wrote:
> > Hey, if you guys, or anyone, could test this, i put a fix on the issue:
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-427  It's not committed on head, as I
> > don't have oracle, but I think it should work.  The jar is attached to the
> > issue, you can download it from the web page (along with the patch if you
> > have the source code...)  Dmitri, I'm not 100% sure this is your problem -
> > geoff, I'm pretty sure this is exactly your problem.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Chris Holmes wrote:
> >
> > > Hey, is there any chance this might be your problem?
> > >
> > > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-427
> > >
> > > See if reversing the ordinate order gives you more results.  Hopefully
> > > we should have an oracle instance we can test against soon.  Or if you
> > > can get dirty with java code I can show you how to do it.
> > >
> > > Chris

> > > SDO_RELATE("GEOM",MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2003,8307,NULL,MDSYS.SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,1),MDSYS.SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY(22.45,60.2,22.45,60.3,22.7,60.3,22.7,60.2,22.45,60.2)),'mask=anyinteract

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Dimitri Chausson
Hi Chris,

I tried it today again, and it works!

The SQL query actually contains a bounding box with counterclockwise
coordinates.
Great job, thanks

Dimitri

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 02:38:24PM -0400, Chris Holmes wrote:

> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > querying the Oracle database actually returns a lot more records when bbox is
> > given counterclockwise.. This could be the problem.
> Cool.
>
> > Yet I tried to use the new jar attached to the Request 427 without success.
> > Is it simply necessary to replace the gt2-oracle-spatial.jar with the one you
> > provide, then restart the server ? I am not sure I did it the right way.
> Yeah, that should be all that's needed.  I could have messed it up.  Make
> sure you replace the old one, and that it's in the WEB-INF/lib directory
> of your running server.  Check the sql statement and see if it's being
> issued right.  I can try to build it again.
>
> If we could chat on irc or yahoo messenger we may be able to get this done
> faster...  It's annoying when I don't have an oracle instance of my own.
>
> Chris

Re: Rendering problem with Geoserver 1.3.0beta4 + Oracle ?

Chris Holmes-2
Cool - we had another user who also report success, and Jody committed
it on head and the branch, so it should be in the next geoserver
release.