Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

At the Swiss QGIS user group general assembly we discussed how the QGIS community could be more inclusive and attract contributors next to developers.

Among other suggestions, one of the suggestions was to rename the "developer meeting" to "contributor meeting". I know, I was the one who suggested renaming it from "hackfest" to "developer meeting" (on request of my past boss who hosted the meeting in Zurich back then), to make it look more serious (e.g. for employers who might pay for attending a developer meeting, but not for a hackfest) - but what do you think about renaming it again to "contributor meeting"?

As a first step to be more inclusive for non developers to participate and contribute to the QGIS project? THere are so many possible contributions next to being a developer, such as documenting, translating, working on the marketing material, webpage, collecting and publishing case studies, etc. etc.

Greetings,
Andreas

Re: Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

pcav
I like this, +1
Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Sorry for being short

Re: Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

Lene Fischer

+1 J

Lene Fischer

Associate Professor

University of Copenhagen

Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management

Forest and Landscape College

Nødebovej 77a

3480 Fredensborg

Denmark

MOB +45 40115084

[hidden email]

Re: Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

ginetto
just for my curiosity, do you have any real data about people that does not participate because of the name? what %?

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
* https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition
* Hire me: http://goo.gl/BYRQKg

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 09:30, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

No - I don't have such data.

To me it is more a "symbolic" thing. Of course we are not actively shooing away people.

But it would be a signal that we are actively also seeking non-developer contributors.

If people agree, we can start using the new name with the Bukarest meeting. And at the same time we can actively reach out to non-developers for the Bukarest meeting - because of FOSS4G, there will be a good pool of non-developers who might want to contribute.

In A Coruña I don't think there will be a shortage of developers/contributors. The list is already long and it will be a bit of a challenge to feed all of them and finance the whole meeting. But we'll manage it together ;-)

Andreas

Re: Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

Anita Graser

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

 but what do you think about renaming it again to "contributor meeting"?

+1

Anita

Re: Renaming developer meeting to contributor meeting

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

+1 from me to call it contributor meeting.

On 07 Feb 2019, at 11:49, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

 but what do you think about renaming it again to "contributor meeting"?

+1

Anita

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza