Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Nathan Woodrow
Hey all,

I would like to get some opinions on Save, Load, Restore Default Style.. buttons.  Personally I find these labeled wrong for what action they take.  Originally these buttons would only save the information from the Style tab out to a .qml file however now that has evolved to saving other information that is not related to style, things like;:the edit forms; included WMS, excluded WMS, etc.   To me these are more properties of the layer and less about the style so the name is misleading.  Sharing these also becomes hard because if I only want the style part it can also override the label and form settings I have.  Hand editing the XML is the only real option to remove the other settings, which is a pain

Proposing: Rename from Save, Load Style to Save Properties, Load Properties.

Motivation:  I would like to add the ability to save just the style information out to a new file type (maybe something like .qstyle) that would just contain the renderer-v2 XML block.  This would allow sharing of just the renderer style and would also give me the ability to expand the Style Manager to allow saving of prebuilt styles e.g I would like to premake a planning scheme style that all ready contains the right values to symbols that I could share and load.     By Mixing non style information in the .qml files means this is not as simple as it could be.    

We could also expand the above logic to only save the label section out to create a label "style" manager. 

Thoughts?

- Nathan

_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Anita Graser
Hi Nathan,

Am 01.03.2014, 11:38 Uhr, schrieb Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]>:
> Proposing: Rename from Save, Load Style to Save Properties, Load  
> Properties.

+1 because I think "Save/Load Properties" describes better what the button  
does.

> Motivation:  I would like to add the ability to save just the style
> information out to a new file type (maybe something like .qstyle) that
> would just contain the renderer-v2 XML block.
------------8<------------------------------
> We could also expand the above logic to only save the label section out  
> to create a label "style" manager.

Personally, I quite like to keep style and labels together. Sure, it might  
be a little less flexible but on the other hand it's faster and often  
labels styles and symbology are designed to work together (e.g. label  
buffer in same/similar color as polygon fill).

Thanks for bringing this up!

Best wishes,
Anita



--
anitagraser.com
_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Anita Graser
In reply to this post by Nathan Woodrow
Hi Michael,

Am 01.03.2014, 15:55 Uhr, schrieb kimaidou <[hidden email]>:
> I also think it could be great to have a button
> "save style". But the latest should not lie in the bottom of the layer
> dialog, but instead in the Style tab only, to avoid confusion.

+1

> By the way, having a "save style" button could also lead to the ability  
> of
> saving/restoring more than one style for each layer (via a combo box for
> the restore button), which could be great too.

This could work quite well. Do you think the "Save style" button could be  
a simple button with the save icon or do we need a labeled button?

Best wishes,
Anita




>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
>
> 2014-03-01 15:01 GMT+01:00 Régis Haubourg <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Nathan I agree with your proposal of renaming style by properties.
>> Users don't understand they also inherit labels, metadata and so on when
>> loading a style.
>>
>> By the way, I think some improvements can be made for reloading style  
>> use
>> case. Problem occurs (maybe occured, didn't check recently) when user  
>> want
>> to transfer graduated or single value style classes from one column to
>> another. Copying style from another table often leads to that situation,
>> where field or expression is not in target table.   I know this can be
>> tricky since graduated classes are in autosync with numeric data.
>> Another issue occurs when geometry type is not the same. Maybe we could
>> save
>> at least color when reapplying style (from point to polygon for  
>> instance).
>> This was my small thread highjack ;-)
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Régis
>>



--
anitagraser.com
_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Re: [Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Anita Graser


------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht -------
Von: "Nathan Woodrow" <[hidden email]>
An: "Andreas Neumann" <[hidden email]>
Kopie: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties  
(Vector layer dialog)
Datum: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:58:39 +0100

Andreas,

Something like this is what I was thinking. (With a better UI of course)

http://i.imgur.com/2XbNqlp.png



- Nathan


On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:


> Hey Andreas,
>
>>
>
> I'm not 100% yet.    I'm not sure what it is but I really hate the Load  
> Style../Save Style buttons at the bottom of the dialog.  I was thinking  
> a >new page in the properties dialog would be better with the title  
> Import/Export.  For me this would mean not having a open another dialog,  
> >which I really don't like the idea of, and we have more room to play  
> with.
>
>
>
>
>> One of my goals is to be able to export just the style part in order to  
>> expand the Style Manager to handle prebuilt styles.  I was planning on  
>> >adding some Save and Load buttons on the style tab that would just  
>> load the style information from the .qml file.
>
>
>
>
>> - Nathan
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]>  
> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> How do you envisage to implement this?
>>
>>
>>
>> Personally I would think it would be useful to have an export dialogue
>>
>> where the user can choose (with checkboxes or a list widget) which
>>
>> properties he wants to export:
>>
>>
>>
>> * General properties (like the filtering, encoding, layer alias, scale
>>
>> dependent visibility, CRS )
>>
>> * Style properties
>>
>> * Labeling properties
>>
>> * Field properties (incl. display field properties)
>>
>> * Actions
>>
>> * Joins and Relations (see the new relations manager that Matthias
>>
>> recently introduced)
>>
>> * Diagrams
>>
>> * Metadata
>>
>>
>>
>> As a shortcut one should be able to export all at once without having to
>>
>> press all checkboxes.
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------
>>
>>
>>
>> When importing, the importer of the layer properties should list what is
>>
>> available in the .qml file and offer just the available bits of the
>>
>> layer properties. Again - a short cut to import all layer properties
>>
>> would be useful.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>>
>>
>> Am 01.03.2014 15:42, schrieb Anita Graser:
>>
>>> Hi Michael,
>>
>>>
>>
>>> Am 01.03.2014, 15:55 Uhr, schrieb kimaidou <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>>> I also think it could be great to have a button
>>
>>>> "save style". But the latest should not lie in the bottom of the layer
>>
>>>> dialog, but instead in the Style tab only, to avoid confusion.
>>
>>>
>>
>>> +1
>>
>>>
>>
>>>> By the way, having a "save style" button could also lead to the
>>
>>>> ability of
>>
>>>> saving/restoring more than one style for each layer (via a combo box  
>>>> for
>>
>>>> the restore button), which could be great too.
>>
>>>
>>
>>> This could work quite well. Do you think the "Save style" button could
>>
>>> be a simple button with the save icon or do we need a labeled button?
>>
>>>
>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>
>>> Anita
>>
>>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>> Regards,
>>
>>>> Michael
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>> 2014-03-01 15:01 GMT+01:00 Régis Haubourg <
>>
>>>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>> Hi Nathan I agree with your proposal of renaming style by properties.
>>
>>>>> Users don't understand they also inherit labels, metadata and so on  
>>>>> when
>>
>>>>> loading a style.
>>
>>>>>
>>
>>>>> By the way, I think some improvements can be made for reloading style
>>
>>>>> use
>>
>>>>> case. Problem occurs (maybe occured, didn't check recently) when user
>>
>>>>> want
>>
>>>>> to transfer graduated or single value style classes from one column  
>>>>> to
>>
>>>>> another. Copying style from another table often leads to that  
>>>>> situation,
>>
>>>>> where field or expression is not in target table.   I know this can  
>>>>> be
>>
>>>>> tricky since graduated classes are in autosync with numeric data.
>>
>>>>> Another issue occurs when geometry type is not the same. Maybe we  
>>>>> could
>>
>>>>> save
>>
>>>>> at least color when reapplying style (from point to polygon for
>>
>>>>> instance).
>>
>>>>> This was my small thread highjack ;-)
>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>
>>>>>
>>
>>>>> Régis
>>
>>>>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>>
>> Qgis-developer mailing list
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>
>



--
anitagraser.com
_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux

attachment152.txt (164 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Re: [Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Zoltan Szecsei
I have cross-posted to ux and developer, because this conversation seems to be running on both lists.Perhaps someone shopuld pull it from one of the lists?
Your call, but see my bottom-posted thoughts:

On 2014/03/02 16:25, Anita Graser wrote:


------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht -------
Von: "Nathan Woodrow" [hidden email]
An: "Andreas Neumann" [hidden email]
Kopie: [hidden email] [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)
Datum: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:58:39 +0100

Andreas,

Something like this is what I was thinking. (With a better UI of course)

http://i.imgur.com/2XbNqlp.png



- Nathan


On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Nathan Woodrow [hidden email] wrote:


Hey Andreas,



I'm not 100% yet.    I'm not sure what it is but I really hate the Load Style../Save Style buttons at the bottom of the dialog.  I was thinking a >new page in the properties dialog would be better with the title Import/Export.  For me this would mean not having a open another dialog, >which I really don't like the idea of, and we have more room to play with.




One of my goals is to be able to export just the style part in order to expand the Style Manager to handle prebuilt styles.  I was planning on >adding some Save and Load buttons on the style tab that would just load the style information from the .qml file.

Please consider this methodolgy:
Currently, when QGIS loads a map layer, certain default things happen: Styles get assigned, etc etc.
As a maplayer is loaded (or perhaps only when the user changes something (like style)), QGIS should dump a [maplayername].qgis file, text format, perhaps keyword-value layout, into the directory that the map is stored. This file will then contain all the internal QGIS defaults, and of course updates to the current (style ) status, as the user changes them.
The benefits of using this implementation scheme could be vast:
  • For deployment purposes, users could create/edit this file outside of QGIS
  • QGIS Dev could implement a methodology whereby user scripts could read and write to this maplayer specific file - for example: map production information whilst capture staff are creating features.
  • This file could even be designed to live at the project level, and at the user level - this way departmental level defaults could be set (deployed), and for those users who need it, these could be over-ridden by having that filename als local to the user, but with user specific values.
  • Should any of these filenames only have some of the default keyword-values, QGIS could look for the other defaults at higher filename level (ie project level if user-level does not exist), or as currently, at the internally stored default actions.


The above implementation strategy would not need a special "export" menu as the information would then always be stored in a user useable file.
If this file becomes corrupt or nonsensical, QGIS actions could revert to the default internal actions.

As time goes by, I reckon QGIS developers would find many more uses for this map-layer specific file mechanism, should it be available.

Hope I'm making sense.

Kind regards,
Zoltan










-- 

===========================================
Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za
===========================================

_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Qgis-developer] Fwd: Re: Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Tim Sutton-4
Hey Zoltan


On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <[hidden email]> wrote:

8<---------------------snip---------------------------------

Please consider this methodolgy:
Currently, when QGIS loads a map layer, certain default things happen: Styles get assigned, etc etc.
As a maplayer is loaded (or perhaps only when the user changes something (like style)), QGIS should dump a [maplayername].qgis file, text format, perhaps keyword-value layout, into the directory that the map is stored. This file will then contain all the internal QGIS defaults, and of course updates to the current (style ) status, as the user changes them.
The benefits of using this implementation scheme could be vast:
  • For deployment purposes, users could create/edit this file outside of QGIS
  • QGIS Dev could implement a methodology whereby user scripts could read and write to this maplayer specific file - for example: map production information whilst capture staff are creating features.
  • This file could even be designed to live at the project level, and at the user level - this way departmental level defaults could be set (deployed), and for those users who need it, these could be over-ridden by having that filename als local to the user, but with user specific values.
  • Should any of these filenames only have some of the default keyword-values, QGIS could look for the other defaults at higher filename level (ie project level if user-level does not exist), or as currently, at the internally stored default actions.


And the downsides could be (if I understand your proposal correctly):

* Working on a shared file store you are going to wreak all kinds of havoc with user experience as different users overwrite the same file concurrently
* Working with a read only directory it obviously wont work
* Working with remote datasources (PostGIS etc.) it won't work

The above implementation strategy would not need a special "export" menu as the information would then always be stored in a user useable file.
If this file becomes corrupt or nonsensical, QGIS actions could revert to the default internal actions.

As time goes by, I reckon QGIS developers would find many more uses for this map-layer specific file mechanism, should it be available.

Hope I'm making sense.


Not completely for me :-)

Regards

Tim
 

Kind regards,
Zoltan










-- 

===========================================
Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B27-83-6004028" value="+27836004028" target="_blank">+27-83-6004028
Fax:    <a href="tel:%2B27-86-6115323" value="+27866115323" target="_blank">+27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za
===========================================
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer



--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
==============================================
Please do not email me off-list with technical
support questions. Using the lists will gain
more exposure for your issues and the knowledge
surrounding your issue will be shared with all.

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
==============================================

_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Qgis-developer] Fwd: Re: Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Zoltan Szecsei
On 2014/03/02 19:13, Tim Sutton wrote:
Hey Zoltan
Hi Tim,
Long time no chat......


On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <[hidden email]> wrote:

8<---------------------snip---------------------------------

Please consider this methodolgy:
Currently, when QGIS loads a map layer, certain default things happen: Styles get assigned, etc etc.
As a maplayer is loaded (or perhaps only when the user changes something (like style)), QGIS should dump a [maplayername].qgis file, text format, perhaps keyword-value layout, into the directory that the map is stored. This file will then contain all the internal QGIS defaults, and of course updates to the current (style ) status, as the user changes them.
The benefits of using this implementation scheme could be vast:
  • For deployment purposes, users could create/edit this file outside of QGIS
  • QGIS Dev could implement a methodology whereby user scripts could read and write to this maplayer specific file - for example: map production information whilst capture staff are creating features.
  • This file could even be designed to live at the project level, and at the user level - this way departmental level defaults could be set (deployed), and for those users who need it, these could be over-ridden by having that filename als local to the user, but with user specific values.
  • Should any of these filenames only have some of the default keyword-values, QGIS could look for the other defaults at higher filename level (ie project level if user-level does not exist), or as currently, at the internally stored default actions.


And the downsides could be (if I understand your proposal correctly):

* Working on a shared file store you are going to wreak all kinds of havoc with user experience as different users overwrite the same file concurrently
Too true. But that's the same as if two users tried to edit the same map layer on a central server, from two different clients, so it would have to be implemented with the same locking or shared update mechanism that the map layer itself is enjoying.
* Working with a read only directory it obviously wont work
duh... :-)
* Working with remote datasources (PostGIS etc.) it won't work
Yes, there will always be situations where this won't work, but then QGIS could fall back to it's current methodology.


The above implementation strategy would not need a special "export" menu as the information would then always be stored in a user useable file.
If this file becomes corrupt or nonsensical, QGIS actions could revert to the default internal actions.

As time goes by, I reckon QGIS developers would find many more uses for this map-layer specific file mechanism, should it be available.

Hope I'm making sense.


Not completely for me :-)
True - my fault. I work with simplistic file types (mainly shape-files), as my clients dictate what I have to capture and deliver in. This mechanism would work well for Shape files, because they don't support concurrent editing, and thus the .qgis file I am thinking of, would also not have to worry about concurrent updates.
Incidentally, I implemented exactly this sort of status tracking with scripts in my proprietary GIS package, and it worked really well, so, truth be told, I am missing this facility when using QGIS.
Cheers for now,
Z

Regards

Tim
 

Kind regards,
Zoltan










-- 

===========================================
Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B27-83-6004028" value="+27836004028" target="_blank">+27-83-6004028
Fax:    <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B27-86-6115323" value="+27866115323" target="_blank">+27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za
===========================================
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer



--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
==============================================
Please do not email me off-list with technical
support questions. Using the lists will gain
more exposure for your issues and the knowledge
surrounding your issue will be shared with all.

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
==============================================


-- 

===========================================
Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za
===========================================

_______________________________________________
QGIS-UX mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux