Renaming SEXTANTE

12

Re: Renaming SEXTANTE

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Victor Olaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wasn't very fond of this idea because or course I like the SEXTANTE
 branding itself, but in terms of integration I now think it is better.
For a user that wants to do some analysis, keeping the SEXTANTE name
means that the user has to know that SEXTANTE is an analysis platform,
instead of just being able to look for analysis tools. The menu is
already called "analysis", so actually that's not going to be a big
problem, but then it doesn't make much sense to have named plugins,
specially if it's a core plugin.

Hi Victor,

Considering Tim's latest mail about string and GUI freeze, are you still planning to change the naming for 2.0?

Yes I should have asked this too - personally I prefer we do it in a future version. Maybe its something we should keep for V3?

Best wishes,
Anita

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Renaming SEXTANTE

Nathan Woodrow

If you are loading them by default it doesn't make sense to keep them as a plugins better to just make them core. It doesn't really matter at the moment for 2.0 anyway but I'll chat about it more at the HF

On 12/08/2013 6:02 PM, "Tim Sutton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Marco Hugentobler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Plugins are a sophisticated way of keeping things lean and separated.

I have no issue with none core plugins, in fact that is something I always promote as a powerful feature. Core however plugins are a different story. While it makes sense to you and I it doesn't make sense to a normal user. Core plugins, while a feature, in fact make the program look incomplete or patchy.  Some of the main problems with core plugins are: they don't have a Python C++ API, functions in them are separated by wall, users have to enable them in order to use them.

Lets take a few examples:  A question the other day on IRC was "can I create a heatmap with pyqgis" No is the answer which is confusing because the heatmap plugin is a core feature so why not have it as part of the API?  The topology checker is another example of the features it has should be part of the core package and just baked in. This would allow tighter integration into the drawing tools and other core features. Can you imagine if snapping was a core plugin? or the composer?

I do see the core plugin idea useful as a staging area for things we are not sure fully about just yet or still have issues.

I think this should be simple to address - maintain them as plugins but load them automatically and transparently to the user. We could even have a new class oc core plugins that do this and explcitly bypass the plugin manager ui because they are always 'just on'.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Renaming SEXTANTE

pcav

Re: Renaming SEXTANTE

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Renaming SEXTANTE

volaya
I do not think there is too much risk of breaking things, it shouldn't
be that complex.

Also, it's a plugin (core or not), so we can later publish a newer
version if something is broken, and let people update it. It's not
going to break any other code, since nothing (except plugins based on
SEXTANTE), uses the SEXTANTE code.

2013/8/12 Tim Sutton <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)

Re: Renaming SEXTANTE

Jonathan Moules-2
On 12 August 2013 09:33, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 12/08/2013 10:10, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Yes I should have asked this too - personally I prefer we do it in
> a future version. Maybe its something we should keep for V3?

IMHO renaming sextante after people got used to it will introduce more
and more confusion. Better remove it now; deeper chamges in the UI can
wait.

+1; And I think this philosophy should be carried over to the other plugins mentioned in this discussion - that they should be renamed sooner rather than later.
Everyone in this thread knows what all of these things do, but a regular user isn't going to know what "GDAL" is, or "fTools" or "SEXTANTE". As an example - just last week I was wondering where my spatial analysis functions were that were in a tutorial I was following - turns out I'd disabled the pointless-sounding-to-me "fTools" plugin and they were in there.
(I'm still quite new to QGIS, but have a technical GIS background - a non-technical user would have struggled to resolve that).

Jonathan

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.
12