Renaming FOSS4G

123

Renaming FOSS4G

Barry Rowlingson
Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
here goes...

Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?

Cons:

 1. FOSS4G is an established brand

 2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.

Counters to those:

 1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.

 2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?

Pros:

 1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.

 2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
years ago, but not now :)

 3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.

 4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
becomes moot.

 5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
acronym to remember.

[I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
but that might be a bit too much :)]

So, this is the discuss list, discuss.

Barry

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Dan Little-2
I'm actually a +1 for this.  Changing to "The OSGeo Conference" would
give the description right on the tin and ensure that OSGeo remains
more actively relevant in the minds of members and newbies approaching
the organization.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> here goes...
>
> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Cons:
>
>  1. FOSS4G is an established brand
>
>  2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.
>
> Counters to those:
>
>  1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
> have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.
>
>  2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?
>
> Pros:
>
>  1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.
>
>  2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
> years ago, but not now :)
>
>  3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.
>
>  4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
> discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
> becomes moot.
>
>  5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
> geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
> acronym to remember.
>
> [I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
> Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
> but that might be a bit too much :)]
>
> So, this is the discuss list, discuss.
>
> Barry

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Puneet Kishor
A resounding YES !!!

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 5:12 PM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> here goes...
>
> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Cons:
>
> 1. FOSS4G is an established brand
>
> 2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.
>
> Counters to those:
>
> 1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
> have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.
>
> 2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?
>
> Pros:
>
> 1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.
>
> 2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
> years ago, but not now :)
>
> 3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.
>
> 4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
> discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
> becomes moot.
>
> 5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
> geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
> acronym to remember.
>
> [I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
> Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
> but that might be a bit too much :)]
>
> So, this is the discuss list, discuss.
>
> Barry

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

María Arias de Reyna-4
Hi Barry,

No, please no!! FOSS4G is easy to pronounce in several languages, includes the word Free and is the name of the conference. OsGeo is ¿"just"? the organization behind it.

I think it will make even more sense to change OSGeo to FOSGeo.

Comments inline.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
here goes...

Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?

Cons:

 1. FOSS4G is an established brand

 2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.

Counters to those:

 1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.

 2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?

What argument? Why? If you are thinking about the free/open argument, that's something we *should* make clear before the "openess" eats us.

Pros:

 1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.

 2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
years ago, but not now :)

 3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.

For this we just have to wait until the 5G generation.

 4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
becomes moot.

If OSGeo becomes irrelevant to FOSS4G it will be because FOSS4G has evolved to something better. What would be the problem in that? Give space to things so they can evolve...

 5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
acronym to remember.

And then when we talk about OSGeo it may become confusing if we are referring to the conference or to the organization.

[I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
but that might be a bit too much :)]

So, this is the discuss list, discuss.

Barry

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Randal Hale
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I will bring some fuel - diesel in honor of the largest car manufacturing plant near me (Volkswagen)

It would strengthen the brand of OSGEO with a conference named the same. There seems to be a fairly large disconnect right now with the FOSS4GNA conference and OSGEO. That needs to be much tighter.

Although I'm a bit of a stickler with Free and Open Source - I like the idea of going OSGeo - because that's what I do (at least in my case) - I use GIS and I do it with free and open source tools.

+11 on having to explain foss4g and then dragging osgeo into it.

Lets go one step further and talk to the Geo4all folks into saying osgeo4all.

Randy

On 10/06/2015 11:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
[...]

-----------------
Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com
423.653.3611 [hidden email]
twitter:rjhale     http://about.me/rjhale
http://www.northrivergeographic.com/introduction-to-quantum-gis
Southeast OSGEO: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Southeast_US

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Gert-Jan
If FOSS4G is meant to be an event exclusively organized by OSGeo then
a rebrand to to OSGeo conference makes perfect sense.
If -just as with FOSS4G-NA 2015- the conference is going to be a
co-productin with one more other organisations (such as LocationTech
then I'd keep the FOSS4G name.
To me this discussion is closely related to the discusison about the
relationship/overlap between OSGeo and LocationTech.
How about putting this on the new Board's strategic agenda for the
forthcoming year?

Regards,

GJ

Randal Hale <[hidden email]> schreef:

> I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I will bring some fuel
> - diesel in honor of the largest car manufacturing plant near me
> (Volkswagen)
>
> It would strengthen the brand of OSGEO with a conference named the
> same. There seems to be a fairly large disconnect right now with the
> FOSS4GNA conference and OSGEO. That needs to be much tighter.
>
> Although I'm a bit of a stickler with Free and Open Source - I like
> the idea of going OS*Geo - *because that's what I do (at least in my
> case) - I use GIS and I do it with free and open source tools.
>
> +11 on having to explain foss4g and then dragging osgeo into it.
>
> Lets go one step further and talk to the Geo4all folks into saying osgeo4all.
>
> Randy
>
> On 10/06/2015 11:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
>> here goes...
>>
>> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>>
>> Cons:
>>
>>  1. FOSS4G is an established brand
>>
>>  2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.
>>
>> Counters to those:
>>
>>  1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
>> have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.
>>
>>  2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?
>>
>> Pros:
>>
>>  1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.
>>
>>  2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
>> years ago, but not now :)
>>
>>  3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.
>>
>>  4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
>> discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
>> becomes moot.
>>
>>  5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
>> geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
>> acronym to remember.
>>
>> [I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
>> Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
>> but that might be a bit too much :)]
>>
>> So, this is the discuss list, discuss.
>>
>> Barry

> -----------------
> Randal Hale
> North River Geographic Systems, Inc
> http://www.northrivergeographic.com
> 423.653.3611 [hidden email]
> twitter:rjhale     http://about.me/rjhale
> http://www.northrivergeographic.com/introduction-to-quantum-gis
> Southeast OSGEO: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Southeast_US

Gert-Jan van der Weijden
Voorzitter Stichting OSGeo.nl

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Mateusz Loskot
On 6 October 2015 at 17:48, Gert-Jan van der Weijden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If FOSS4G is meant to be an event exclusively organized by OSGeo then a
> rebrand to to OSGeo conference makes perfect sense.

Folks,

I'd like to remind us history of FOSS4G and its name:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G

FOSS4G was not born by, but it FOSS4G started independently.

FOSS4G is not a new conference, and its name is well-established.

IMO, any confuson is artificial.

Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Dan Ames
+1 4 this comment: "a cool thing 2 do ten years ago"

Actually from an international point of view - and as OSGeo grows - I would think that the 4 in FOSS4G raises more questions than answers since the number 4 and the word "for" are only homonyms in English as far as I know. The German words für and vier don't sound much a like and neither do the Dutch words  voor and vier. And those are probably the closest matches. So maybe it's a bit Anglo-centric to 4ce the 4 on people. For example, "for" in Japanese, ための, sounds nothing at all like "4" in Japanese which to me sounds like "yum".

Similarly, I doubt the Chinese pet shop, "52 Pets" would internationalize very well.  By the way, does anyone know why 6 was afraid of 7? I suspect a lot of people don't, just like I had no idea why my Thai colleague kept texting me 555... But FOSS4G is an established brand now and brands are hard to build and keep. So +1 for pressing forward with FOSS-yum-G...?

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:24 AM Randal Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Gerlek
+1

-mpg

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 12:20 PM, Dan Ames <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 4 this comment: "a cool thing 2 do ten years ago"

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Paul Ramsey
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> here goes...
>
> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?

Get off my lawn.

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-September/000030.html

So weary,
P.

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Alex Mandel-2
On 10/06/2015 08:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> here goes...
>
> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Cons:
>
>  1. FOSS4G is an established brand
>
>  2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.
>
> Counters to those:
>
>  1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
> have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.
>
>  2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?
>
> Pros:
>
>  1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.
>
>  2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
> years ago, but not now :)
>
>  3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.
>
>  4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
> discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
> becomes moot.
>
>  5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
> geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
> acronym to remember.
>
> [I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
> Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
> but that might be a bit too much :)]
>
> So, this is the discuss list, discuss.
>
> Barry

Branding things to resolve:
Is OSGeo just a conference?

Sure Foss4g is a little weird, but would the general community what
these mean if they aren't part of the community already?
SXSW, PyCon, OSCon, AGU, AAG, etc...

If we rename, then the conference must be front and side by side on the
homepage/1st page of everything OSGeo does. Probably should be as is
anyways.

Do we alienate sponsors, or do they get that OSGeo is just the
organizer? Goes back to question 1 above.

I'm sure there's lots of other pros/cons. Seems the other threads about
what should OSGeo be in the next few years should probably be worked out
first.

-Alex

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Andy Anderson-3
Acronyms don’t usually include prepositions, at least in English. Including 2 and 4 is definitely computerese, something that helps separate words that can’t have spaces between them as in command-line Unix, e.g. shp2kml. But I don’t see a need for it here, especially if we want to reach out to nontechnical groups.

No matter what the acronym won’t translate into other languages.

SLFAG, anyone?

— Andy

[...]

jmckenna
Administrator
I do notice that many of the people speaking here were unable to attend
FOSS4G Seoul.  What you missed experiencing was how a FOSS4G event
should be:

- OSGeo Board representative quickly introduced the event in the opening
plenary
- OSGeo Board representative closed the event in the final plenary
- "FOSS4G Hosted by OSGeo" was plastered all of the venue, wall banners,
popup banners, conference bags
- the OSGeo logo was as visible as the conference logo itself
- OSGeo was provided the most prominent booth location
- OSGeo projects were well represented in workshops and presentations
- many special sessions were created by the local committee that were
written in the program as "Hosted by OSGeo"

These may seem minor points to some, but what happened was that the new
attendees became aware of this "OSGeo" thing and that they host FOSS4G.
Attendees left with an excited feeling about FOSS4G and OSGeo, and yes,
therefore knowing how "relevant" OSGeo is.

Before the event I ordered my first ever set of "President, OSGeo"
business cards.  I brought 200, and came back with none; all that
marketing at the venue done by the local committee really sparked
interest in the attendees.

It was a wonderful event run by the Korean chapter.  We should take note
for future events.

-jeff

On 2015-10-06 12:12 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> here goes...
>
> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Cons:
>
>   1. FOSS4G is an established brand
>
>   2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.
>
> Counters to those:
>
>   1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
> have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.
>
>   2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?
>
> Pros:
>
>   1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.
>
>   2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
> years ago, but not now :)
>
>   3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.
>
>   4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
> discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
> becomes moot.
>
>   5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
> geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
> acronym to remember.
>
> [I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
> Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
> but that might be a bit too much :)]
>
> So, this is the discuss list, discuss.
>
> Barry

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Mateusz Loskot

On 6 Oct 2015 18:28, "Paul Ramsey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> > here goes...
> >
> > Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Get off my lawn.
>
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-September/000030.html

The decade passed makes it to late, init?
Mateusz Łoskot
(Sent from mobile)

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Regina Obe

We really should have just gone with GeoBonkers' Meeting back then. It speaks to me on so many levels.

In all seriousness though, I think changing the name now that everyone has gotten used to it and knows what it means is not a good use of anybody's time.

As Jeff noted, there are other ways to elevate the OSGEO name without making the conference name OSGEO and really the message we want to give involves both

OSGEO is the Go To for all your FOSS4G needs.

Thanks,

Regina

On 6 Oct 2015 18:28, "Paul Ramsey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> > here goes...
> >
> > Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Get off my lawn.
>
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-September/000030.html

The decade passed makes it to late, init?

Mateusz Łoskot
(Sent from mobile)

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Puneet Kishor

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Paragon Corporation <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OSGEO is the Go To for all your FOSS4G needs.

Reminds me how I used to do GIS on my IBM then go home and watch CBS on my VCR. Thankfully, those days are over.

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Mateusz Loskot

s/OSGEO/OSGeo/ :)

On 6 Oct 2015 23:11, "Paragon Corporation" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We really should have just gone with GeoBonkers' Meeting back then. It speaks to me on so many levels.
>

> In all seriousness though, I think changing the name now that everyone has gotten used to it and knows what it means is not a good use of anybody's time.
>

> As Jeff noted, there are other ways to elevate the OSGEO name without making the conference name OSGEO and really the message we want to give involves both
>

> OSGEO is the Go To for all your FOSS4G needs.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Regina

Mateusz Łoskot
(Sent from mobile)

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Barry Rowlingson
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Paragon Corporation <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We really should have just gone with GeoBonkers' Meeting back then. It
> speaks to me on so many levels.

 I'm not sure we want bonking at OSGeo events...

> In all seriousness though, I think changing the name now that everyone has
> gotten used to it and knows what it means is not a good use of anybody's
> time.

 You've missed my point by saying "everyone has gotten used to it".
Really, "everyone"? This is an introverted point of view of the OSGeo
community. Yes, you and I and everyone *on this mailing list* knows
the difference and the relationship between OSGeo and FOSS4G. But
there are people out there in geospatial who don't know either. They
are the people we have to reach out to. And its those people to whom I
hypothesise that "OSGeo" is a better branding than "FOSS4G". But I'm
not sure the effort to verify this hypothesis (surveys, focus groups)
is worth it. But my intuition is that it is.

 The pattern of calling the annual conference of organisation Foo,
"The Foo Conference" is quite well established in many fields.

> OSGEO is the Go To for all your FOSS4G needs.

As they say, "GoTo Considered Harmful"...

Barry

> Thanks,
>
> Regina

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

David Bianco
Paul's 2006 link seems to show a split between foss4g and osgeo, as
well.

+1 for changing to "OSGeo Conference".   Call it what it is.

because 7 ate 9,
Dave

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015, at 15:08, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Paragon Corporation <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We really should have just gone with GeoBonkers' Meeting back then. It
> > speaks to me on so many levels.
>
>  I'm not sure we want bonking at OSGeo events...
>
> > In all seriousness though, I think changing the name now that everyone has
> > gotten used to it and knows what it means is not a good use of anybody's
> > time.
>
>  You've missed my point by saying "everyone has gotten used to it".
> Really, "everyone"? This is an introverted point of view of the OSGeo
> community. Yes, you and I and everyone *on this mailing list* knows
> the difference and the relationship between OSGeo and FOSS4G. But
> there are people out there in geospatial who don't know either. They
> are the people we have to reach out to. And its those people to whom I
> hypothesise that "OSGeo" is a better branding than "FOSS4G". But I'm
> not sure the effort to verify this hypothesis (surveys, focus groups)
> is worth it. But my intuition is that it is.
>
>  The pattern of calling the annual conference of organisation Foo,
> "The Foo Conference" is quite well established in many fields.
>
> > OSGEO is the Go To for all your FOSS4G needs.
>
> As they say, "GoTo Considered Harmful"...
>
> Barry
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Regina

Re: Renaming FOSS4G

Marc Peterson

> From: [hidden email] [mailto:discuss-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Barry Rowlingson

> Yes, you and I and everyone *on this mailing list* knows
> the difference and the relationship between OSGeo and FOSS4G. But
> there are people out there in geospatial who don't know either.

Emphatic +1

123