Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

We still publish an incredibly long list of past sponsors at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

I would suggest to get rid of all expired sponsors.

Imagine if some company sponsored back in 2012 and only paid bronze once (do not renew) - they are still listed in our sponsors list and receive linking from a relatively high-profile website. I think that it would be better to remove the old sponsors. It would increase the incentive to renew past sponsorships.

If you all agree - who could do that?

Thanks,

Andreas

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Anita Graser
Thanks Andreas, sounds reasonable to me! We don't need to link to any past sponsors. They still have links in the past changelogs anyway.
I looked at the website, but I don't know where the sponsor feed comes from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/source/site/about/sponsorship.rst
Regards,
Anita

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

We still publish an incredibly long list of past sponsors at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

I would suggest to get rid of all expired sponsors.

Imagine if some company sponsored back in 2012 and only paid bronze once (do not renew) - they are still listed in our sponsors list and receive linking from a relatively high-profile website. I think that it would be better to remove the old sponsors. It would increase the incentive to renew past sponsorships.

If you all agree - who could do that?

Thanks,

Andreas

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Marco Bernasocchi-2

Also Agree with this.

I really needed we can pua a small link to a sponsors archive page. but since the sponsor is time limited, I think we could remove this

ciao

Marco

On 14.09.2018 14:53, Anita Graser wrote:
[...]

QGIS.org Co-chair
http://berna.io

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Richard Duivenvoorde
Mmm, the list comes from the atomfeeds which we pull from live projecta
every hour or so:

https://www.qgis.org/feeds/qgissponsors.atom

https://www.qgis.org/feeds/qgispastsponsors.atom

Some javascript creates the lists from those feeds, and I'm pretty sure
that at that time we said that we really wanted the 'Past Sponsors'

I even hacked this into projecta to make that possible:
https://github.com/kartoza/prj.app/commit/c3313f2d86f9d07b4ed81527dbfe95f5f44b0ec2

I'm ok with hiding that one, but it would be better if we discussed this
a little earlier

So: hide that list? Old sponsors do not get any credit anymore?

Richard

On 09/14/2018 04:21 PM, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:

> Also Agree with this.
>
> I really needed we can pua a small link to a sponsors archive page. but
> since the sponsor is time limited, I think we could remove this
>
> ciao
>
> Marco
>

> On 14.09.2018 14:53, Anita Graser wrote:
>> Thanks Andreas, sounds reasonable to me! We don't need to link to any
>> past sponsors. They still have links in the past changelogs anyway.
>> I looked at the website, but I don't know where the sponsor feed comes
>> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/source/site/about/sponsorship.rst
>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     We still publish an incredibly long list of past sponsors
>>     at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html
>>
>>     I would suggest to get rid of all expired sponsors.
>>
>>     Imagine if some company sponsored back in 2012 and only paid
>>     bronze once (do not renew) - they are still listed in our sponsors
>>     list and receive linking from a relatively high-profile website. I
>>     think that it would be better to remove the old sponsors. It would
>>     increase the incentive to renew past sponsorships.
>>
>>     If you all agree - who could do that?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Andreas

> Marco Bernasocchi
>
> QGIS.org Co-chair
> http://berna.io

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Richard,

Not sure - was it Tim who wanted to have the history of old sponsors? I don't remember that I asked for them - if I did - I apologize!

If there are two separate feeds, then it should be easy to just get rid of the qgispastsponsors feed - right?

As Anita said, old sponsors still appear at the old visual changelogs - which we don't touch anymore.

If you have time and work on that list - would it be possible to:

  • Reintroduce the URL directly back to the sponsors (I remember that we discussed removing that, due to tax reasons, but according to new information I have, we will have to pay VAT anyway, once we pass 150k CHF sponsorship money - even if we would be non-profit)
  • Remove the actual amount the organization paid

This would be great.

I will take care (not sure when) - about aligning the sizes of sponsor logos (e.g. reduce size of the danish logo in relation to the other user groups).

Thanks a lot!

Andreas

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Marco Bernasocchi-2
What about creating 2 tabs on that page for past and current sponsors ?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 16:38 Richard Duivenvoorde, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mmm, the list comes from the atomfeeds which we pull from live projecta
every hour or so:

https://www.qgis.org/feeds/qgissponsors.atom

https://www.qgis.org/feeds/qgispastsponsors.atom

Some javascript creates the lists from those feeds, and I'm pretty sure
that at that time we said that we really wanted the 'Past Sponsors'

I even hacked this into projecta to make that possible:
https://github.com/kartoza/prj.app/commit/c3313f2d86f9d07b4ed81527dbfe95f5f44b0ec2

I'm ok with hiding that one, but it would be better if we discussed this
a little earlier

So: hide that list? Old sponsors do not get any credit anymore?

Richard

On 09/14/2018 04:21 PM, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:
> Also Agree with this.
>
> I really needed we can pua a small link to a sponsors archive page. but
> since the sponsor is time limited, I think we could remove this
>
> ciao
>
> Marco
>

> On 14.09.2018 14:53, Anita Graser wrote:
>> Thanks Andreas, sounds reasonable to me! We don't need to link to any
>> past sponsors. They still have links in the past changelogs anyway.
>> I looked at the website, but I don't know where the sponsor feed comes
>> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/source/site/about/sponsorship.rst
>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     We still publish an incredibly long list of past sponsors
>>     at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html
>>
>>     I would suggest to get rid of all expired sponsors.
>>
>>     Imagine if some company sponsored back in 2012 and only paid
>>     bronze once (do not renew) - they are still listed in our sponsors
>>     list and receive linking from a relatively high-profile website. I
>>     think that it would be better to remove the old sponsors. It would
>>     increase the incentive to renew past sponsorships.
>>
>>     If you all agree - who could do that?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Andreas

> Marco Bernasocchi
>
> QGIS.org Co-chair
> http://berna.io

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

pcav

Hi all,

maybe we could have a list with only the names, not the logos nor links, for the expired sponsors. I think it is good for us to show that a lot of organizations trusted us, and thee name only does not give them too much visibility, so this could gently push them towards renewing.

All the best.

Il 09/14/2018 05:09 PM, Marco Bernasocchi ha scritto:
What about creating 2 tabs on that page for past and current sponsors ?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 16:38 Richard Duivenvoorde, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mmm, the list comes from the atomfeeds which we pull from live projecta
every hour or so:

https://www.qgis.org/feeds/qgissponsors.atom

https://www.qgis.org/feeds/qgispastsponsors.atom

Some javascript creates the lists from those feeds, and I'm pretty sure
that at that time we said that we really wanted the 'Past Sponsors'

I even hacked this into projecta to make that possible:
https://github.com/kartoza/prj.app/commit/c3313f2d86f9d07b4ed81527dbfe95f5f44b0ec2

I'm ok with hiding that one, but it would be better if we discussed this
a little earlier

So: hide that list? Old sponsors do not get any credit anymore?

Richard

On 09/14/2018 04:21 PM, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:
> Also Agree with this.
>
> I really needed we can pua a small link to a sponsors archive page. but
> since the sponsor is time limited, I think we could remove this
>
> ciao
>
> Marco
>

> On 14.09.2018 14:53, Anita Graser wrote:
>> Thanks Andreas, sounds reasonable to me! We don't need to link to any
>> past sponsors. They still have links in the past changelogs anyway.
>> I looked at the website, but I don't know where the sponsor feed comes
>> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/source/site/about/sponsorship.rst
>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     We still publish an incredibly long list of past sponsors
>>     at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html
>>
>>     I would suggest to get rid of all expired sponsors.
>>
>>     Imagine if some company sponsored back in 2012 and only paid
>>     bronze once (do not renew) - they are still listed in our sponsors
>>     list and receive linking from a relatively high-profile website. I
>>     think that it would be better to remove the old sponsors. It would
>>     increase the incentive to renew past sponsorships.
>>
>>     If you all agree - who could do that?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Andreas

> Marco Bernasocchi
>
> QGIS.org Co-chair
> http://berna.io

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Removing past sponsors from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi Paolo,

That is a good idea. Names/Location/Country only, no link, no logo.

Thanks,
Andreas

QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)