Removing URLs from sponsorship sections

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi,

According to the tax rules in Switzerland, if QGIS.ORG does not return any direct service in return to sponsorships, sponsorship money is not subject to VAT. Advertising for sponsors on QGIS.ORG wouldn't be allowed. Listing URLs to websites of sponsors is regarded as advertising. Listing names, logos and place/country is ok and not regarded as advertising.

Contrary to the current practice, I would have to remove all direct URLs pointing to sponsors websites. Is the PSC ok with it?

What is the position of the PSC regarding this? Would we rather pay 7.7 % VAT on sponsorship money to keep the URLs or remove the URLs and don't pay the VAT on the sponsorship.

Should I do a survey amongst the sponsors about it?

The URL issue is both on our sponsorship page, but also on the visual change logs and release notes.

Note that sponsorship money accounts to 60-70% of our income - so the impact is quite high.

Thank you for your replies!
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: Removing URLs from sponsorship sections

Nathan Woodrow
So you can leave a name and logo but not  URL?  That seems like such an odd rule..

I can't say what we should do here because it's really down to book keep and if it makes sense to keep or not keep.

Regards,
Nathan

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 6:25 PM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 31 Jan 2018, at 10:25, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 Doing a survey first would be a good option and if they are ok with it then yes we could consider it. Otherwise I would be -1 on removing links for sponsors - it seems unfair to them and to break an existing understanding with them will probably create bad feelings.

Regards

Tim

Thank you for your replies!
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Removing URLs from sponsorship sections

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi,

On Wed, 31. Jan 2018 at 23:18:40 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>  Doing a survey first would be a good option and if they are ok with it then
>  yes we could consider it. Otherwise I would be -1 on removing links for
>  sponsors - it seems unfair to them and to break an existing understanding
>  with them will probably create bad feelings.

I think we must ask. It's one of the benefits we offered to the sponsors.

Jürgen

[0] https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#what-is-your-benefit-sponsoring-the-qgis-development

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Re: Removing URLs from sponsorship sections

pcav
Il 31/01/2018 21:25, Jürgen E. Fischer ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 31. Jan 2018 at 23:18:40 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>  Doing a survey first would be a good option and if they are ok with it then
>>  yes we could consider it. Otherwise I would be -1 on removing links for
>>  sponsors - it seems unfair to them and to break an existing understanding
>>  with them will probably create bad feelings.
>
> I think we must ask. It's one of the benefits we offered to the sponsors.
>

> Jürgen
>
> [0] https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#what-is-your-benefit-sponsoring-the-qgis-development
sure, agreed.
all the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Removing URLs from sponsorship sections

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

For two days I am now trying to get the responsible person from the tax office on the phone, to clarify our issues - but they don't pick up. Great service ...

Andreas

On 01.02.2018 09:37, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
Il 31/01/2018 21:25, Jürgen E. Fischer ha scritto:
Hi,

On Wed, 31. Jan 2018 at 23:18:40 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
 Doing a survey first would be a good option and if they are ok with it then
 yes we could consider it. Otherwise I would be -1 on removing links for
 sponsors - it seems unfair to them and to break an existing understanding
 with them will probably create bad feelings.
I think we must ask. It's one of the benefits we offered to the sponsors.

Jürgen

[0] https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#what-is-your-benefit-sponsoring-the-qgis-development
sure, agreed.
all the best.

Re: Removing URLs from sponsorship sections

Anita Graser

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 31/01/2018 21:25, Jürgen E. Fischer ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 31. Jan 2018 at 23:18:40 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>  Doing a survey first would be a good option and if they are ok with it then
>>  yes we could consider it. Otherwise I would be -1 on removing links for
>>  sponsors - it seems unfair to them and to break an existing understanding
>>  with them will probably create bad feelings.
>
> I think we must ask. It's one of the benefits we offered to the sponsors.
>

> Jürgen
>
> [0] https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#what-is-your-benefit-sponsoring-the-qgis-development

sure, agreed.

​+1 to first check with our sponsors before removing any links. I think most of them are not in it for the link, but it could hurt us if we just do it without communicating first.

Anita​