Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Martin Dobias
Hi all

there is an old geoprocessing (c++) plugin in the sources
(src/plugins/geoprocessing). I've found out that it has been disabled
for several releases (it disabled in qgis 1.0, probably even earlier)
and has just basic functionality for creating a buffer for a PostGIS
layer. It seems to be unmaintained and given that there is fTools
plugin which implements this functionality, I think it should be safe
to remove the code from trunk.

Any objections?

Regards
Martin

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Martin

+1 for removing.

Marco

Am Sonntag, 12. Dezember 2010, um 17.59:16 schrieb Martin Dobias:

> Hi all
>
> there is an old geoprocessing (c++) plugin in the sources
> (src/plugins/geoprocessing). I've found out that it has been disabled
> for several releases (it disabled in qgis 1.0, probably even earlier)
> and has just basic functionality for creating a buffer for a PostGIS
> layer. It seems to be unmaintained and given that there is fTools
> plugin which implements this functionality, I think it should be safe
> to remove the code from trunk.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Regards
> Martin

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

kimaidou
+1 too

Kimaidou

2010/12/12 Marco Hugentobler <[hidden email]>
Hi Martin

+1 for removing.

Marco

Am Sonntag, 12. Dezember 2010, um 17.59:16 schrieb Martin Dobias:
> Hi all
>
> there is an old geoprocessing (c++) plugin in the sources
> (src/plugins/geoprocessing). I've found out that it has been disabled
> for several releases (it disabled in qgis 1.0, probably even earlier)
> and has just basic functionality for creating a buffer for a PostGIS
> layer. It seems to be unmaintained and given that there is fTools
> plugin which implements this functionality, I think it should be safe
> to remove the code from trunk.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Regards
> Martin

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Tim Sutton-4
+1

And other candidates to recieve the axe:

 - quickprint
 - copyright (you can just add an annotation)

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:56 AM, kimaidou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 too
>
> Kimaidou
>
> 2010/12/12 Marco Hugentobler <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Martin
>>
>> +1 for removing.
>>
>> Marco
>>
>> Am Sonntag, 12. Dezember 2010, um 17.59:16 schrieb Martin Dobias:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > there is an old geoprocessing (c++) plugin in the sources
>> > (src/plugins/geoprocessing). I've found out that it has been disabled
>> > for several releases (it disabled in qgis 1.0, probably even earlier)
>> > and has just basic functionality for creating a buffer for a PostGIS
>> > layer. It seems to be unmaintained and given that there is fTools
>> > plugin which implements this functionality, I think it should be safe
>> > to remove the code from trunk.
>> >
>> > Any objections?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Martin
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>> Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
>> Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

g_sherman
I think we need to be careful about removing functionality that people are using. In particular I'm thinking of the copyright plugin.

-Gary
GeoApt LLC
Chair, Quantum GIS PSC

On Dec 13, 2010, at 0:06, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> And other candidates to recieve the axe:
>
> - quickprint
> - copyright (you can just add an annotation)
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:56 AM, kimaidou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 too
>>
>> Kimaidou
>>
>> 2010/12/12 Marco Hugentobler <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hi Martin
>>>
>>> +1 for removing.
>>>
>>> Marco

>>> --
>>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>>> Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
>>> Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>
> Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
>  * QGIS programming and support services
>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux
-gary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
 http://geoapt.com
Founder, Quantum GIS
Chair, QGIS PSC
Book:
 http://geospatialdesktop.com
"We work virtually everywhere"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Barry Rowlingson
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Gary Sherman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we need to be careful about removing functionality that people are using. In particular I'm thinking of the copyright plugin.

 The copyright attribution should possibly be part of a project's
metadata. The project properties dialog is a bit thin on metadata, it
just has a title for the project. Would it be a good idea to have
copyright, authors, description etc as properties attached to a
project? Is there a plugin for this already? The Metadata plugin is
for layers only.... Hmmm anyone wnat to write a Dublin Core metadata
editor plugin for project files?

Barry

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Andreas Neumann-4
indeed it would be nice to have more metadata on a project. Also, QGIS
Server (the WMS part of it) requires metadata like contact person,
organization, etc. for the creation of the WMS contact metadata part.
Currently one has to specify a separate XML fragment for this metadata. It
would be much nicer, if such information could be extracted from the
project file.

If someone works on the project metadata, it should be aligned with the
needs of QGIS server.

Andreas

On Mon, December 13, 2010 4:31 pm, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Gary Sherman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think we need to be careful about removing functionality that people
>> are using. In particular I'm thinking of the copyright plugin.
>
>  The copyright attribution should possibly be part of a project's
> metadata. The project properties dialog is a bit thin on metadata, it
> just has a title for the project. Would it be a good idea to have
> copyright, authors, description etc as properties attached to a
> project? Is there a plugin for this already? The Metadata plugin is
> for layers only.... Hmmm anyone wnat to write a Dublin Core metadata
> editor plugin for project files?
>
> Barry

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Martin Dobias
Hi Tim

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> And other candidates to recieve the axe:
>
>  - quickprint

I would vote to remove it once we have some print composer templates:
so that people can print / export to pdf with no effort to lay out the
items.

>  - copyright (you can just add an annotation)

IIRC annotations are always bound to a particular position on map, so
they're a bit different than the copyright label that is always in the
corner...

Cheers
Martin

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Martin

> IIRC annotations are always bound to a particular position on map, so
> they're a bit different than the copyright label that is always in the
> corner...

The screen position is kept constant if you go to the item properties dialog
(double click) and uncheck 'Fixed map position'.

Regards,
Marco

Am Montag, 13. Dezember 2010, um 21.05:29 schrieb Martin Dobias:

> Hi Tim
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > And other candidates to recieve the axe:
> >
> >  - quickprint
>
> I would vote to remove it once we have some print composer templates:
> so that people can print / export to pdf with no effort to lay out the
> items.
>
> >  - copyright (you can just add an annotation)
>
> IIRC annotations are always bound to a particular position on map, so
> they're a bit different than the copyright label that is always in the
> corner...
>
> Cheers
> Martin

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

pcav
Il 13/12/2010 21:05, Martin Dobias ha scritto:

> I would vote to remove it once we have some print composer templates:
> so that people can print / export to pdf with no effort to lay out the
> items.

there is a nice plugin: EasyPrint, that could replace QuickPrint, after some tuning
(e.g. replacing the heading). I suggest to add it to trunk.

>>  - copyright (you can just add an annotation)
>
> IIRC annotations are always bound to a particular position on map, so
> they're a bit different than the copyright label that is always in the
> corner...

I remember there was a copyright python plugin; I think this could replace the C++
implementation, being more flexible.

All the best.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il 13/12/2010 21:05, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
>
>> I would vote to remove it once we have some print composer templates:
>> so that people can print / export to pdf with no effort to lay out the
>> items.
>
> there is a nice plugin: EasyPrint, that could replace QuickPrint, after some tuning
> (e.g. replacing the heading). I suggest to add it to trunk.

Let's wait for Marco's additions to composer (as mentioned by him on
kcube dev wiki page).

>>>  - copyright (you can just add an annotation)
>>
>> IIRC annotations are always bound to a particular position on map, so
>> they're a bit different than the copyright label that is always in the
>> corner...
>
> I remember there was a copyright python plugin; I think this could replace the C++
> implementation, being more flexible.

This was actually historically the first qgis python plugin ever
written :-) I have ported it from c++ to Python just to see whether
the bindings and plugin infrastructure work correctly.

I don't know what to do with the whole bunch of simple "decoration"
plugins: maybe their functionality could be best ported directly into
qgis application and we would (maybe) save some time during the qgis
startup since we will avoid loading of few modules.

Martin

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Marco Hugentobler-4
> > there is a nice plugin: EasyPrint, that could replace QuickPrint, after
> > some tuning (e.g. replacing the heading). I suggest to add it to trunk.
>
> Let's wait for Marco's additions to composer (as mentioned by him on
> kcube dev wiki page).

What I mentioned on the wiki page is kind of a print service with QGIS
mapserver, so no replacement for QuickPrint / EasyPrint.

In the print composer, there is the possibility to create default composer
templates by moving the composer templates into
pkgDataPath/composer_templates.

Maybe it would be good to put a nice default qgis template there. However, the
user still needs to go to the composer manager, open the template and click
the print button in the composer window. So QuickPrint / EasyPrint are still
quicker (or easier) :-)

Regards,
Marco

wrote:

> > Il 13/12/2010 21:05, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
> >> I would vote to remove it once we have some print composer templates:
> >> so that people can print / export to pdf with no effort to lay out the
> >> items.
> >
> > there is a nice plugin: EasyPrint, that could replace QuickPrint, after
> > some tuning (e.g. replacing the heading). I suggest to add it to trunk.
>
> Let's wait for Marco's additions to composer (as mentioned by him on
> kcube dev wiki page).

> >> IIRC annotations are always bound to a particular position on map, so
> >> they're a bit different than the copyright label that is always in the
> >> corner...
> >
> > I remember there was a copyright python plugin; I think this could
> > replace the C++ implementation, being more flexible.
>
> This was actually historically the first qgis python plugin ever
> written :-) I have ported it from c++ to Python just to see whether
> the bindings and plugin infrastructure work correctly.
>
> I don't know what to do with the whole bunch of simple "decoration"
> plugins: maybe their functionality could be best ported directly into
> qgis application and we would (maybe) save some time during the qgis
> startup since we will avoid loading of few modules.
>
> Martin

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Borys Jurgiel-2
> I don't know what to do with the whole bunch of simple "decoration"
> plugins: maybe their functionality could be best ported directly into
> qgis application and we would (maybe) save some time during the qgis
> startup since we will avoid loading of few modules.

What about one "decoration" layer with multiple text boxes, scale bar, and
north arrow. Tim is working on such decorations, Tim, aren't you?

Re: Remove geoprocessing plugin?

Tim Sutton-4
HI

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Borys Jurgiel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't know what to do with the whole bunch of simple "decoration"
>> plugins: maybe their functionality could be best ported directly into
>> qgis application and we would (maybe) save some time during the qgis
>> startup since we will avoid loading of few modules.
>
> What about one "decoration" layer with multiple text boxes, scale bar, and
> north arrow. Tim is working on such decorations, Tim, aren't you?

Indeed I am so standbye on that one. First I want to get the new
plugin  / snippet / user map etc site running and then I will go back
to working on that. In my rework, all 'decoration plugins' will become
'widget plugins' that will be accessed from a widget bar and dropped
onto the map. They will work in the same way as Marco's annotations
where they can be place map relative or canvas relative (in fact they
will derive from the annotation code). Thats the plan anyway but I
dont have exact timings yet.

By the way - copyright plugin was also one of the first C++ plugins
ever written so it has some history in QGIS too :-P

@Paolo: indeed I was thinking to replace quick print with easy print
when I suggested removing it.

Regards

Tim