Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi devs,

Reminder of the upcoming 8.0 release plan dates (as mentioned on
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan )

   Feature freeze: Fri. March 5, 2021
   8.0-beta1: Fri. March 12, 2021
   8.0-beta2: Fri. March 19, 2021
   8.0-rc1: Fri. March 26, 2021
   8.0 (final): Fri. April 2, 2021

Please share your thoughts if anyone has any planned big changes that
may need to delay the above plan a bit, which is fine of course.  We can
adjust the dates accordingly.

(some may prefer to see the list of tickets tagged for this 8.0
milestone instead: https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/milestone/54 )

Thanks all,

-jeff

Re: Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

jmckenna
Administrator
Thanks Steve, I was about to ask today about the dates.  Here are the
new proposed dates:

   Feature freeze: Fri. April 9, 2021
   8.0-beta1: Fri. April 16, 2021
   8.0-beta2: Fri. April 23, 2021
   8.0-rc1: Fri. April 30, 2021
   8.0 (final): Fri. May 7, 2021

-jeff

On 2021-02-26 1:12 p.m., Steve Lime wrote:

> I'm going to need to push those dates back (suggest 1 month) for the
> couple of pull requests I have in progress. --Steve
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Hi devs,
>
>     Reminder of the upcoming 8.0 release plan dates (as mentioned on
>     https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan
>     <https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan>
>     )
>
>         Feature freeze: Fri. March 5, 2021
>         8.0-beta1: Fri. March 12, 2021
>         8.0-beta2: Fri. March 19, 2021
>         8.0-rc1: Fri. March 26, 2021
>         8.0 (final): Fri. April 2, 2021
>

>     Please share your thoughts if anyone has any planned big changes that
>     may need to delay the above plan a bit, which is fine of course.  We
>     can
>     adjust the dates accordingly.
>
>     (some may prefer to see the list of tickets tagged for this 8.0
>     milestone instead:
>     https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/milestone/54
>     <https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/milestone/54> )
>
>     Thanks all,
>
>     -jeff

Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training Services
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/

Re: Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi devs,

With the recent proposed changes coming down the pipe for 8.0, I feel
that we must again push back the 8.0 release dates much more, to
something more realistic & to give time for feedback and testing for
these major upcoming changes.  August/September is our usual big release
deadline each year, so here are the proposed date changes for 8.0 :

   Feature freeze: Fri. August 6, 2021
   8.0-beta1: Fri. August 13, 2021
   8.0-beta2: Fri. August 20, 2021
   8.0-rc1: Fri. August 27, 2021
   8.0 (final): Fri. September 3, 2021

I've updated the release plan to point to the latest draft RFCs etc.
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan
(please edit if I missed anything)

Also, likely it would be good for the community to have another 7.6
bugfix release, so 7.6.3, as there are a couple of changes in the
pipeline that would be useful for users, while they wait for the big
8.0: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/compare/rel-7-6-2...branch-7-6

Therefore I propose that we release 7.6.3 at the end of this month
(April 30th).

Please share your thoughts here.

Thanks,

-jeff

On 2021-02-26 1:29 p.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Thanks Steve, I was about to ask today about the dates.  Here are the
> new proposed dates:
>
>    Feature freeze: Fri. April 9, 2021
>    8.0-beta1: Fri. April 16, 2021
>    8.0-beta2: Fri. April 23, 2021
>    8.0-rc1: Fri. April 30, 2021
>    8.0 (final): Fri. May 7, 2021
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2021-02-26 1:12 p.m., Steve Lime wrote:
>> I'm going to need to push those dates back (suggest 1 month) for the
>> couple of pull requests I have in progress. --Steve
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM Jeff McKenna
>> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi devs,
>>
>>     Reminder of the upcoming 8.0 release plan dates (as mentioned on
>>
>> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan
>>
>> <https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan>
>>     )
>>
>>         Feature freeze: Fri. March 5, 2021
>>         8.0-beta1: Fri. March 12, 2021
>>         8.0-beta2: Fri. March 19, 2021
>>         8.0-rc1: Fri. March 26, 2021
>>         8.0 (final): Fri. April 2, 2021
>>

>>     Please share your thoughts if anyone has any planned big changes that
>>     may need to delay the above plan a bit, which is fine of course.  We
>>     can
>>     adjust the dates accordingly.
>>
>>     (some may prefer to see the list of tickets tagged for this 8.0
>>     milestone instead:
>>     https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/milestone/54
>>     <https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/milestone/54> )
>>
>>     Thanks all,
>>
>>     -jeff

Re: Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 4/7/21 4:08 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Please share your thoughts here.

Please don't let feature creep prevent releasing the proj.h support.

It's sad that an important OSGeo project like MapServer still has no
release with PROJ 6 support.

If you do keep pusing back MapServer 8, please release 7.8 with just the
changes for proj.h support ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

Even Rouault-2
I've cherry-picked the trivial patch in the 7.6 release branch in:

https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/commit/3c6f3f0963a03e4968dfdb886eb2d27ae12abfd6

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

Steve Lime-2
Perhaps a 7.8 makes sense in the context of Proj then and we could bundle the changes that require the use of certain environment variables with it. What would the preferred configs look like then (in terms of GDAL and PROJ versions)?

--Steve

--
http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

Even Rouault-2

I don't see a need for a 7.8 just to get PROJ 8 support. Just issuing a 7.6.3 from current 7.6 branch or cherry-picking the below patch in the meantime should be enough.

--
http://www.spatialys.com