Reducing scope of OSGeo-Live for next 11.0 release - input invited from Marketing and Incubation committees

Reducing scope of OSGeo-Live for next 11.0 release - input invited from Marketing and Incubation committees

Cameron Shorter

OSGeo Marketing and Incubation Committees, OSGeo Board,

We (the OSGeo-Live team) would welcome broad discussion within OSGeo about about what projects we might retire from OSGeo-Live.

This is particularly relevant to OSGeo Marketing and Incubation activities as:

1. OSGeo-Live is a marketing tool for OSGeo projects.

2. I expect that a few of the candidate projects to retire from OSGeo-Live will be official OSGeo projects, which have previously passed incubation. A bigger question is whether we should retire these projects from being considered "OSGeo official projects".

Within the next couple of weeks, we will be discussing which projects we should be considering for retirement.

Should you wish to comment, please reply to [hidden email]

Warm regards, Cameron

Re: Reducing scope of OSGeo-Live for next 11.0 release - input invited from Marketing and Incubation committees

jody.garnett
I am sorry you missed your milestone, going to limit my reply to the board list. Cross posting emails to several mailing lists makes it very hard for those only subscribed to one list. The incubation is focused on on-boarding new projects, sharing our standards for open source development (I would ask that it remain focused on this activity). The performance of OSGeo projects is a matter for the board and their respective project officers

Cameron there are certainly some projects that no longer meet our requirements to be OSGeo projects. We have two data points:

1) Presentation from maxi indicating not all projects are meeting our expectations. This presentation was shared with the board list but has not resulted in any discussion.
2) Your email indicating that some osgeo projects are not up to your standards for OSGeo live, and your question about weather these projects should be retired from OSGeo

The board has two tools for communicating with projects:
- our project officers are expected to attend board meetings when they have an item to discuss
- projects are expected to provide a report for the annual general meeting

I guess I would like to hear from both you and maxi about your experience. Could you attend a board meeting in May to discuss this issue? We have also scheduled a work party hangout for later this month which could be put to use.
--
Jody Garnett

On 17 April 2017 at 17:24, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 From our options of reduce quality, become more efficient, increase

---------------

----------------
OSGeo-Live (http://live.osgeo.org) is a Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net)
based distribution of Geospatial Open Source Software, available via a
Live DVD, Virtual Machine and USB. You can use OSGeo-Live to try a wide
variety of open source geospatial software without installing anything.

Greetings from th OSGeo-Live Team!

--

Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: Reducing scope of OSGeo-Live for next 11.0 release -input invited from Marketing and Incubation committees

Brian M Hamlin
Board Members, Project Directors, stakeholders

  at our most recent OSGeo-Live weekly meeting, there was some
discussion about the technical changes that may be coming in a "reboot"
of the OSGeo-Live build process. The email here starts a discussion
that is organizational. These are not the same.

  As an original OSGeo-Live PSC member, I will write on these topics
in the coming weeks, and will present to the Board.

  best regards from Berkeley, Califorinia
  -- Brian M Hamlin

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 23:18:09 -0500, Jody Garnett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 From our options of reduce quality, become more efficient, increase
[...]

OSGeo California Chapter
blog.light42.com

Re: Reducing scope of OSGeo-Live for next 11.0 release -input invited from Marketing and Incubation committees

Cameron Shorter
Jody, board,

Yes, I can attend a board meeting, assuming a timeslot is selected when
I'm available. (Ie, when I'm awake).

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter