Recognition of QGIS feature funders

12

Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Vincent Picavet (ml)
Hello,

I want to raise an important topic to fellow QGIS users, developers and...
funders ! It is clear from the release process debate, that one of the thing
we need, is more funders.

I regularly hear from potential QGIS funders sentences like "We would like to
be recognized as a funder for this feature".
I usually answer that we can make some announcement on Oslandia's behalf, and
clearly state that the feature we developped for them has been funded.

But there is nowhere in the QGIS project where these investors in OpenSource
get any recognition. It would be great to at least thank them, and better to
mention them in various places whenever we can too.
Most of the time, these users fund completely a feature, which is for sure
important for them, but will be used by many other users (non-funders). I
think their role should be emphasized.

It is mainly communication work, but it has a great impact, and particularly
for "deciders", who do not have any technical capabilities, do not track the
mailing list or the github repository, but would be really happy with their
name / logo in the "About" QGIS window.

Some proposals for this :
* At least mention feature funders in the visual changelog
https://github.com/timlinux/projecta/issues/102
* Mention bugfix funders and other various funders in the changelog as well
* Make a special "Thank you" page for funders
* Mention features and funders in the "About dialog box"

Sponsors are important for the QGIS project in order to be able to fund
community meetings, to sponsor core devs to help them go to conferences, allow
for QGIS brochures and other materials, and help to other QGIS-related event
But feature funders are really importante too, and often invest more money to
the project than sponsors, without having recognition.
Moreover, a lot of organisms, particularly public administration, cannot spend
money for sponsoring, whereas they can for feature funding.

This is communication, but improving the general feedback to the organizations
which really are spending money on QGIS to improve it for all of us to benefit
from, would really help to get more people and more organizations involved.

I would be glad to hear your thoughts on this,

Vincent

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

G. Garibaldi
Start a page on Wikipedia:

"List Of Companies That Fund Open Source Software Projects"

and list QGIS. Then invite other projects to add their sponsors to the list. Once established a page like this will be contributed to and maintained by users around the world.
[...]

pcav
Il 02/07/2014 17:18, Vincent Picavet ha scritto:

> I want to raise an important topic to fellow QGIS users, developers and...
> funders ! It is clear from the release process debate, that one of the thing
> we need, is more funders.

> This is communication, but improving the general feedback to the organizations
> which really are spending money on QGIS to improve it for all of us to benefit
> from, would really help to get more people and more organizations involved.

Hi Vincent,

thanks for raising this important point. The issue is well known, and we have been
discussing about it several times. In principle we'd be happy to give proper credits
to funders. The main issue, IMHO, is that it is difficult to be fair in this:
* How do we weight different contributions?
* We all do some extra work (unpaid of covered by the surplus of major works): how to
take this into account? If we do not do it, we effectively discourage developers and
firms from contributing.
The current approach, allowing funders to add a short note on the commits, and
encouraging them to advertise it by posting notes and descriptions of these
functions, is flexible and adds little overhead. I feel some of your suggestions
would add too much noise e.g. to the About box.

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Andrea Peri
Hi,

my personal point of view on this question.

I spent a lot of my personal time on qgis.
Of course I work for a Public Administration and we had spent some fund on qgis.
Not only qgis, but also geos, postgis, spatialite, gdal.
More or less on every of them.

The problem for us is to have a tracciability (hope this is the
correct english word) of fund.

And avoid that more PA pay the same think more time.
:)

This is a need because often the work is not completly isolated from to others.
Instead it is mix with the work of other funders.
And we like to avoid that the developer

- Please notice: this is a point of principle to ALL our work not only
to qgis. No reference to any qgis developer. -

could sell the same develop to more than one PA.
To avoid this we ask that the code will have a clear report of who
fund and of the name of project (the fund project)

This also help to certificate that the fund we declare to spent on
QGIS , we have spent the fund REALLY on QGIS and not in any other
thing.

Also, I guess who spent its own free time to work on qgis, could have
also it a really interest to have recognized its work
as a funder of qgis don't ?

So why don't report the funders , thinking to who work freely as a funders ?

my 2ct,

Andrea.

> Il 02/07/2014 17:18, Vincent Picavet ha scritto:
>
>> I want to raise an important topic to fellow QGIS users, developers and...
>> funders ! It is clear from the release process debate, that one of the thing
>> we need, is more funders.
>
>> This is communication, but improving the general feedback to the organizations
>> which really are spending money on QGIS to improve it for all of us to benefit
>> from, would really help to get more people and more organizations involved.
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> thanks for raising this important point. The issue is well known, and we have been
> discussing about it several times. In principle we'd be happy to give proper credits
> to funders. The main issue, IMHO, is that it is difficult to be fair in this:
> * How do we weight different contributions?
> * We all do some extra work (unpaid of covered by the surplus of major works): how to
> take this into account? If we do not do it, we effectively discourage developers and
> firms from contributing.
> The current approach, allowing funders to add a short note on the commits, and
> encouraging them to advertise it by posting notes and descriptions of these
> functions, is flexible and adds little overhead. I feel some of your suggestions
> would add too much noise e.g. to the About box.
>
> All the best.
>
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Doctor Who
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to explain that problem with no recognition of other private funding.
I beleive in QGIS but i have no skill for coding. So I try to use my job tilte for find some fund for improve QGIS.

I've started discussion with Anita Graser on Twitter for that. She explained to me that I paid for a special features and I will not display because I do note give money directly to QGIS project.

I'm not agree with that because :
- We choose official commiter QGIS for working into the core and not for an external plugin. (even if we also make some plugin and amazing number of plugin available contribute to QGIS popularity)
- We contribute to improve QGIS and i popularity (SVG layer allow better work in DAO software like Inkscap or Illustrator)
- I work for local authorities and in French law, it's not possible to give money without a precise goal but we can make improvment with a specific order. That's the reason why I will never able to sponsoring QGIS without ask a specific feature that is missing.

And for local elected people that allow me to spend money into QGIS, they want to appear clearly. Its how it works on our territory. They won't check a changelog text file, they won't go to github, thay want to be display or quote somewhere where they could show to people what they do for them.

If you don't display there action, you could really loose some funds for improve or help QGIS... Myself, I won't be able anymore to fund 6000 € per year for improve QGIS ... :(

Best regards

Nicolas Rochard
Agence de développement et d'urbanisme du Grand Amiénois (Aduga)

Il 03/07/2014 12:20, [hidden email] ha scritto:

> I've started discussion with Anita Graser on Twitter for that. She explained to me
> that I paid for a special features and I will not display because I do note give
> money directly to QGIS project.

> If you don't display there action, you could really loose some funds for improve or
> help QGIS... Myself, I won't be able anymore to fund 6000 € per year for improve QGIS

Cher Nicolas,
please keep on with the good work. I'm sure we can work this out. Would a note on
commits + a post on social networks etc. be enough for you?
Amicalement.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Doctor Who
Sear Paolo

I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund entirely a new feature on the graphic changelog (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)

Thanks for your quick reply

Nicolas

Il 03/07/2014 14:29, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> Sear Paolo
>
> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund *entirely*
> a new feature on the graphic changelog
> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)

I understand your point. It may be difficult, or impossible, to define when a feature
is funded entirely by one subject; software does not live in isolation, and we risk
to overlook fundamental work in favour of more "flashy" new stuff.
The issue here is to give appropriate credit to everyone, and be fair in this context
is really tricky. That's why I would not mind leaving the advertising of a feature to
its funder.
Of course, this may not fit equally well everyone.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Andrea Peri
I agree with Paolo.

A phrase like
"totally fund" to a feature mean that none other other subject is
allowed to fund for any evolution on it.
Because that feture it totally charge on that PA.

But also should be possibile to allow an history of a feature.

So if a PA has fund for the first creation of a new feature , this is
clearly reported. But also if another user (with its free work ,
obviously reported) or other kind of user (also another PA) could fund
for some other evolution is also it reported.

Is this the main advantace of a GFOSS free developed cycle.
So lock a feature on a single PA is like to put a copyright on it.
:)

regards,

A.

> Il 03/07/2014 14:29, [hidden email] ha scritto:
>> Sear Paolo
>>
>> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
>> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund *entirely*
>> a new feature on the graphic changelog
>> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
>
> I understand your point. It may be difficult, or impossible, to define when a feature
> is funded entirely by one subject; software does not live in isolation, and we risk
> to overlook fundamental work in favour of more "flashy" new stuff.
> The issue here is to give appropriate credit to everyone, and be fair in this context
> is really tricky. That's why I would not mind leaving the advertising of a feature to
> its funder.
> Of course, this may not fit equally well everyone.
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Doctor Who
I didn't think bad with my request and that ou explain is right.I didn't assess pernicious effects that my request will do.
My request is to be sure to justifiy the work it has done by professional  with fund I can have from our partner and try to stimulate opensource instead of seeing local agency and authorities buying new arcgis licenses.
I have absolutely not want to denigrate the other contributions as they have all their importance in advancing QGIS

> Le 3 juillet 2014 à 14:45, Andrea Peri <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> I agree with Paolo.
>
> A phrase like
> "totally fund" to a feature mean that none other other subject is
> allowed to fund for any evolution on it.
> Because that feture it totally charge on that PA.
>
> But also should be possibile to allow an history of a feature.
>
> So if a PA has fund for the first creation of a new feature , this is
> clearly reported. But also if another user (with its free work ,
> obviously reported) or other kind of user (also another PA) could fund
> for some other evolution is also it reported.
>
> Is this the main advantace of a GFOSS free developed cycle.
> So lock a feature on a single PA is like to put a copyright on it.
> :)
>
> regards,
>
> A.

> > Il 03/07/2014 14:29, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> >> Sear Paolo
> >>
> >> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
> >> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund *entirely*
> >> a new feature on the graphic changelog
> >> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
> >
> > I understand your point. It may be difficult, or impossible, to define when a feature
> > is funded entirely by one subject; software does not live in isolation, and we risk
> > to overlook fundamental work in favour of more "flashy" new stuff.
> > The issue here is to give appropriate credit to everyone, and be fair in this context
> > is really tricky. That's why I would not mind leaving the advertising of a feature to
> > its funder.
> > Of course, this may not fit equally well everyone.
> > All the best.
> > --
> > Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> > Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Even Rouault
Selon Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>:

> Il 03/07/2014 14:29, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> > Sear Paolo
> >
> > I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
> > The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund
> *entirely*
> > a new feature on the graphic changelog
> > (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
>
> I understand your point. It may be difficult, or impossible, to define when a
> feature
> is funded entirely by one subject; software does not live in isolation, and
> we risk
> to overlook fundamental work in favour of more "flashy" new stuff.
> The issue here is to give appropriate credit to everyone, and be fair in this
> context
> is really tricky. That's why I would not mind leaving the advertising of a
> feature to
> its funder.
> Of course, this may not fit equally well everyone.

I agree with Paolo proper credit is tricky and some hard work isn't always
visible or lies elsewhere. For example, QGIS benefits from GDAL/OGR. So to
satisfy a user need, for example better supporting XXXXX format, most (if not
all) of the ground work is done outside of QGIS. This is not a feature that will
be visible in a QGIS commit, but as it is likely that the funder isn't
completely aware of the technical details since he has probably just ordered
"make QGIS work with XXXXX format", he could be badly surprised to not see it
mentionned in QGIS credits.
Don't get me wrong : I'm not saying that funders should not be credited (their
support is much needed !), just underlying the fairness issues.

Even

> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Andreas Neumann-4

I think a mention of the organization who funded a feature in the visual
changelog is a reasonable request. Not much work and a fair recognition
and "thank you" visible by many.

In the visual changelog you also list the sponsors at the very top - so
why not also mentioning the funding organization? If there are two or
three co-funding you can list them all.

I can see a positive effect by this that other organizations may also
think about funding a specific feature if they see that other
organizations do the same.

I don't think that many users are aware that more than half of QGIS
features would not exist if organizations or companies would not fund them.

I am with Nicolas and Oslandia on this request and I think that the
visual changelog is a good place to thank the funders.

Andreas

Am 03.07.2014 12:29, schrieb [hidden email]:

> Sear Paolo
>
> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund
> entirely a new feature on the graphic changelog
> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
>
> Thanks for your quick reply
>
> Nicolas

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Andreas Neumann-4
In the visual changelog I wouldn't propose to include logos of funding
organizations. Just the name and the link to the organization.

Andreas

Am 03.07.2014 13:18, schrieb Andreas Neumann:

> Hi all,
>
> I think a mention of the organization who funded a feature in the visual
> changelog is a reasonable request. Not much work and a fair recognition
> and "thank you" visible by many.
>
> In the visual changelog you also list the sponsors at the very top - so
> why not also mentioning the funding organization? If there are two or
> three co-funding you can list them all.
>
> I can see a positive effect by this that other organizations may also
> think about funding a specific feature if they see that other
> organizations do the same.
>
> I don't think that many users are aware that more than half of QGIS
> features would not exist if organizations or companies would not fund them.
>
> I am with Nicolas and Oslandia on this request and I think that the
> visual changelog is a good place to thank the funders.
>
> Andreas
>
> Am 03.07.2014 12:29, schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Sear Paolo
>>
>> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
>> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund
>> entirely a new feature on the graphic changelog
>> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
>>
>> Thanks for your quick reply
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Doctor Who
Ask more for have 50% of the request :-)
Its not necessary but carefull if you order a improvment with Europe's fund, you must display the logo (it was our experience with the  QGIS plugin "cadastre")

Nicolas

> Le 3 juillet 2014 à 15:26, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> In the visual changelog I wouldn't propose to include logos of funding
> organizations. Just the name and the link to the organization.
>
> Andreas
>
> Am 03.07.2014 13:18, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think a mention of the organization who funded a feature in the visual
> > changelog is a reasonable request. Not much work and a fair recognition
> > and "thank you" visible by many.
> >
> > In the visual changelog you also list the sponsors at the very top - so
> > why not also mentioning the funding organization? If there are two or
> > three co-funding you can list them all.
> >
> > I can see a positive effect by this that other organizations may also
> > think about funding a specific feature if they see that other
> > organizations do the same.
> >
> > I don't think that many users are aware that more than half of QGIS
> > features would not exist if organizations or companies would not fund them.
> >
> > I am with Nicolas and Oslandia on this request and I think that the
> > visual changelog is a good place to thank the funders.
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> > Am 03.07.2014 12:29, schrieb [hidden email]:
> >> Sear Paolo
> >>
> >> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
> >> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund
> >> entirely a new feature on the graphic changelog
> >> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
> >>
> >> Thanks for your quick reply
> >>
> >> Nicolas

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

SIT delle Riserve Naturali di Legambiente Sicilia
right!
Tata Livreri
Il 03/07/2014 14:37, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:

> Il 03/07/2014 14:29, [hidden email] ha scritto:
>> Sear Paolo
>>
>> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
>> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund *entirely*
>> a new feature on the graphic changelog
>> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
> I understand your point. It may be difficult, or impossible, to define when a feature
> is funded entirely by one subject; software does not live in isolation, and we risk
> to overlook fundamental work in favour of more "flashy" new stuff.
> The issue here is to give appropriate credit to everyone, and be fair in this context
> is really tricky. That's why I would not mind leaving the advertising of a feature to
> its funder.
> Of course, this may not fit equally well everyone.
> All the best.

Legambiente Comitato Regionale Siciliano
Ufficio Gestione Riserve
Sistema Informativo Territoriale
tel 0916262697 - 0906264139
www.legambienteriserve.it
via Tripoli 3 - Palermo 90138

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Andrea Peri
Yes, I confirm this heavy constraint.

Every develope with european fund ask to have a logo in it.

More complex then this is when with the european fund you do a GIS archive.

The european officers think only to a map as a pdf or as an image so
they guess seem easy to put a logo on it.
But if the result of funded work is a shapefile , where I put the logo ?
:))

A.

> Ask more for have 50% of the request :-)
> Its not necessary but carefull if you order a improvment with Europe's fund,
> you must display the logo (it was our experience with the  QGIS plugin
> "cadastre")
>
> Nicolas
>
>> Le 3 juillet 2014 à 15:26, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>> In the visual changelog I wouldn't propose to include logos of funding
>> organizations. Just the name and the link to the organization.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> Am 03.07.2014 13:18, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I think a mention of the organization who funded a feature in the visual
>> > changelog is a reasonable request. Not much work and a fair recognition
>> > and "thank you" visible by many.
>> >
>> > In the visual changelog you also list the sponsors at the very top - so
>> > why not also mentioning the funding organization? If there are two or
>> > three co-funding you can list them all.
>> >
>> > I can see a positive effect by this that other organizations may also
>> > think about funding a specific feature if they see that other
>> > organizations do the same.
>> >
>> > I don't think that many users are aware that more than half of QGIS
>> > features would not exist if organizations or companies would not fund
>> > them.
>> >
>> > I am with Nicolas and Oslandia on this request and I think that the
>> > visual changelog is a good place to thank the funders.
>> >
>> > Andreas

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Doctor Who
Add 'made-with-european-fund.shp' in the name of the shapefile :))

> Le 3 juillet 2014 à 16:58, Andrea Peri <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> Yes, I confirm this heavy constraint.
>
> Every develope with european fund ask to have a logo in it.
>
> More complex then this is when with the european fund you do a GIS archive.
>
> The european officers think only to a map as a pdf or as an image so
> they guess seem easy to put a logo on it.
> But if the result of funded work is a shapefile , where I put the logo ?
> :))
>
> A.

> > Ask more for have 50% of the request :-)
> > Its not necessary but carefull if you order a improvment with Europe's fund,
> > you must display the logo (it was our experience with the QGIS plugin
> > "cadastre")
> >
> > Nicolas
> >
> >> Le 3 juillet 2014 à 15:26, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >>

> >> In the visual changelog I wouldn't propose to include logos of funding
> >> organizations. Just the name and the link to the organization.
> >>
> >> Andreas

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Alexandre Neto
Hello all,

I feel that we would have the exact same problem in Portugal. Public entities will not be able to donate, because they must justify the spent money with some direct need.

On the other hand, to convince a decision maker or politician that investing in QGIS is (also) good for their image, without have a visible place to advertise it, might be very difficult to achieve.

You probably have discussed this before, but how about consider Funding organizations (or persons) as sponsors if the funded feature are of public and generalized use? The amount of work could be quantified and a gold, silver of bronze sponsor badge given in accordance with the same rules applied.

If the feature is not considered of general use (a national or regional specific feature or plugin) or if the estimated amount of work does not reach the bronze sponsor value, then the changelog would be enough (Tho If I were a decision maker I would prefer to see it in the QGIS main webpage).

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the visual changelog I wouldn't propose to include logos of funding
organizations. Just the name and the link to the organization.

Andreas

Am 03.07.2014 13:18, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> Hi all,
>
> I think a mention of the organization who funded a feature in the visual
> changelog is a reasonable request. Not much work and a fair recognition
> and "thank you" visible by many.
>
> In the visual changelog you also list the sponsors at the very top - so
> why not also mentioning the funding organization? If there are two or
> three co-funding you can list them all.
>
> I can see a positive effect by this that other organizations may also
> think about funding a specific feature if they see that other
> organizations do the same.
>
> I don't think that many users are aware that more than half of QGIS
> features would not exist if organizations or companies would not fund them.
>
> I am with Nicolas and Oslandia on this request and I think that the
> visual changelog is a good place to thank the funders.
>
> Andreas
>
> Am 03.07.2014 12:29, schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Sear Paolo
>>
>> I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
>> The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund
>> entirely a new feature on the graphic changelog
>> (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
>>
>> Thanks for your quick reply
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Nyall Dawson

On 03/07/2014 11:18 pm, "Andreas Neumann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think a mention of the organization who funded a feature in the visual
> changelog is a reasonable request. Not much work and a fair recognition
> and "thank you" visible by many.
>
> In the visual changelog you also list the sponsors at the very top - so
> why not also mentioning the funding organization? If there are two or
> three co-funding you can list them all.
>
> I can see a positive effect by this that other organizations may also
> think about funding a specific feature if they see that other
> organizations do the same.
>
> I don't think that many users are aware that more than half of QGIS
> features would not exist if organizations or companies would not fund them.
>
> I am with Nicolas and Oslandia on this request and I think that the
> visual changelog is a good place to thank the funders.

I'm strongly in favor of this idea. We could set some strict guidelines about acceptable logo size and decide on a standard "funded by..." string for the changelog, to avoid sponsors expecting huge logos or massive blurbs about their organization.

Nyall

Re: Recognition of QGIS feature funders - and developers?

Zoltan Szecsei
Hi,
I've been following this thread with great interest.

Whilst recognising the immense importance of financial funding, surely
there are quite a few developers out there that have added to Open
Source by giving their own time without receiving any remuneration
whatsoever.

I accept that it will be very difficult to measure one developer's
efforts against another, but surely they should get as much recognition
as the guys throwing money at this project?

Perhaps a "bar-counter" showing the number of source-code lines
contributed in the last "rolling 12 month" period - maybe for the top 10
contributors only?

Just a thought.
Regards to all,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za
12