Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

hilpers
Hello everyone,

I regularly face the issue that I want to set masks for layers of my choice based on one layer´s geometry.
I know there is a plugin available which handles labels but not the geometry of layers to be masked.

In my oppinion a mask should make geometries / raster cells outside the specified mask disappear. The user should also be able to exclude layers from being masked. After searching for more than a year, I want to ask how you handle this pretty common scenario. Furthermore, four years after the last discussion about masks here on QGIS Nabble I also want to ask, whether developers are planning to incorporate this feature in V3.

It would be great to have that masking capability option within the layer options or even the projects settings.

Thanks

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

berndv.
Am 08.03.2017, 21:08 Uhr, schrieb hilpers <[hidden email]>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I regularly face the issue that I want to set masks for layers of my
> choice
> based on one layer´s geometry.
> I know there is a plugin available which handles labels *but not* the
> geometry of layers to be masked.
>
> In my oppinion a mask should make geometries / raster cells outside the
> specified mask disappear. The user should also be able to exclude layers
> from being masked. After searching for more than a year, I want to ask
> how
> you handle this pretty common scenario. Furthermore, four years after the
> last discussion about masks here on QGIS Nabble I also want to ask,
> whether
> developers are planning to incorporate this feature in V3.
>
> It would be great to have that masking capability option within the layer
> options or even the projects settings.
>
> Thanks

you forgot to post the link to your feature request from yesterday ;)
https://hub.qgis.org/issues/16315

a big +1 from me for such a feature.

Cheers
Bernd

> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Real-Mask-functionality-in-QGIS-tp5311464.html
> Sent from the QGIS - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2
91083 Baiersdorf/Igelsdorf
Tel: 09133-825374

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Hilpers,

Is this about label and symbol backgrounds?

We have a QEP about that (see https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/63) and an offer from Oslandia.

Can you please review this QEP and let us know if it matches your needs?

If yes - would you be able to contribute financially? It is quite complex to implement this and I have to collect around 18k € to finance it. So I would be interested in financial contributions.

Thank you for your reply,

Andreas

Am 09.03.2017, 08:28 Uhr, schrieb Neumann, Andreas <[hidden email]>:

Hi Hilpers,

Is this about label and symbol backgrounds?

We have a QEP about that (see https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/63) and an offer from Oslandia.

Can you please review this QEP and let us know if it matches your needs?

If yes - would you be able to contribute financially? It is quite complex to implement this and I have to collect around 18k € to finance it. So I would be interested in financial contributions.

Thank you for your reply,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,
as I understood the feature request, he means a "real" mask that is not only masking the display, but all features outside of the mask for any geoprocessing.
I faintly rember this from ArcGIS which I didn't use for ages, so I have no idea how well this is working how its done technically.

But the idea, that when working with numerous layers of different extent, not to have to crop them them each individually to fit into a window of interest, but just to assign a mask layer/bbox to them, sounds very good to me.

Cheers
Bernd

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

Tobias Wendorff
Sorry for FQ

In ArcGIS you can limit processing by mask, extent and query.

--
Von einem iPhone gesendet und wird daher Fehler enthalten…

Am 09.03.2017 um 11:03 schrieb "Bernd Vogelgesang" <[hidden email]>:

[...]

b.j.kobben
Although QGIS has no convenient mask utility, the underlying logic (that ArcGIS uses too) is of course standard geo-processing: Create the mask geometry, use it as an overlay to "cut away" the masked areas from your layers-to-be-processed and then do you processes on those geometries...

--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer – ITC-University of Twente

    https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/63 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/63>) and an offer from Oslandia.
[...]

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi,

Related to this discussion, have a look at the following QGIS
Enhancement Proposal for "Selective Masking":

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/63

I have no idea if this fits in the same scope, but I guess it would be
good to contact the author of the QEP (Huge Mercier) to see if that's
included, how much extra effort that would required and where he
currently stands with this proposal.

Bests
Matthias

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

pvanbosgeo

On 09-03-17 11:03, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
[...]

This sounds like the mask (r.mask) in GRASS GIS and region (g.region) functionality (limits raster operations to defined bbox, amongst others), which both are indeed incredible useful functions. If you want to use this for geoprocessing in QGIS, you can try it out using the GRASS toolbox. The mask function is also available in the processing toolbox (r.mask.rast; never tried out how this works though). Note that r.mask and g.region both only work for rasters. A similar functionality for vector layers would be great, but perhaps more complicated to implement (I guess internally it would still use a mask to cut out the desired area / region).

Cheers
Bernd

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Hilpers,

Ok - so if I understand this correctly you want a on-the-fly clip, not a mask. Right?

A mask is only covering/hiding/selectively drawing geometry, but not changing geometry. A clip is changing the geometry. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mask_(computing) vs. http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/analysis/clip.htm

A mask is typically just about drawing features not about manipulating geometries as processing does.

We need to use precise terms here.

Andreas

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

hilpers
Thanks for your reply and of course to all the others replying

I am not talking about actually changing the data but setting spatial filters, that enable the user to only hide features falling outside of the geometries of a layer or an entire layer. So I am talking about hiding features of other layers based on a spatial relationship to a target layer - a mask

Thanks again

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

DelazJ
Hi
Hilpers, are you sure the plugin Mask does not already do that? https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/mask/

Another option is to use the inverted symbology in layer style properties.

Regards,
Harrissou

Le jeudi 9 mars 2017, hilpers <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Thanks for your reply and of course to all the others replying
>
> I am not talking about actually changing the data but setting spatial
> filters, that enable the user to only hide features falling outside of the
> geometries of a layer or an entire layer. So I am talking about hiding
> features of other layers based on a spatial relationship to a target layer -
> a mask
>
> Thanks again

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

Andreas Neumann-4

So this is a spatial filter of features in layer A based on the spatial relation with features in layer B - right?

Without clipping?

How do you deal with inside/outside if the features partially intersect?

Isn't this exactly what the "Extract by Location" function in QGIS does? You can find that in the processing toolbox.

Andreas

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

hilpers
It should work dynamically, without processing your data, yes.
I know this functionalityx from ArcMap and Mapinfo, where the user can specify one layer to serve as masking layer which then hides/masks out all features of user-specified layers within the same project/ data frame (Arcmap). I guess this works through spatial relationship filters but I am not sure.

Re: Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

Régis Haubourg
Hi Hilpers,
I funded the mask plugin and can explain what it does. In my needs, I didn't not want it to clip the geometries (like the mapinfo clip tool) because I preferer really when users can see the whole map, masked with transparency or blending mode. This also does not add any geometry processing, which can be really heavy for clipping all the displayed object in a map.
Nevertheless, We extended Mask to be able to filter labels and display them only if the features fall inside the mask zone (with options on spatial operators used). We lacked the ability to compute labels only in the part of the object that is inside the mask (for instance a great river crossing the zone can be labeled outside the zone), so we added that in latest plugin versions, and it reveals to be performant since when it computes a lot of spatial relation, it also make life easier to the labeling engine, and turns to be fastest in the end (not always).

We chose to stop the plugin dev here and produce QEP to port that inside QGIS core. This assumes quite a lot of changes :
 - find a way to store data in or along the project (we currently rely on memory layer saver plugin)
 - Add ability to draw label on a different geometry than the displayed one (such as a smoothed geometry for a watercourse, or a clipped part of a polygon with mask zone)
- take the opportunity to improve labeling by the way with native connectors and easiest manual placement

You can find those QEP here:

I since left my job and can't help with funding anymore, but from what I know some funds will be available at least for the label improvements. If you're willing to help or fund, I'll be glad to help coordination with other funders and developpers to fully port a masking feature, and maybe add your use cases in it.

Cheers
Régis