Ready to branch?

Tim Sutton-4

Hi folks...

We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.

It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in effect.

Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.

I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this is a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if they already have it installed.

I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for release tonight barring major objections.

Regards Tim

Re: Ready to branch?

Horst Düster

Hi Tim

I aggree with the early realease.

+1

Regards
Horst

Am 07.11.2010 13:16, schrieb Tim Sutton:

> Hi folks...
>
> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>
> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still
> in effect.
>
> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or
> otherwise provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.
>
> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that
> this is a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay
> on 1.5 if they already have it installed.
>
> I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for
> release tonight barring major objections.
>
> Regards Tim

- --

Dr. Horst Düster
Burchacker 6
CH-4556 Aeschi

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist vertraulich und ausschließlich für den
bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Wenn Sie nicht der vorgesehene
Adressat dieser E-Mail oder dessen Vertreter sein sollten, so beachten
Sie bitte, dass jede Form der Kenntnisnahme, Veröffentlichung,
Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser E-Mail unzulässig
ist. Ich bitte Sie, sich in diesem Fall mit dem Absender der E-Mail in
Verbindung zu setzen

Re: Ready to branch?

Borys Jurgiel-2
> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.

+1

Polish team is ready for branching (excluding half-sleeping Milena;) )

> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this is
> a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if they
> already have it installed.

That's a pitty we use even numbers for relatively unstable releases (1.4 and
now 1.6) and then try to polish them as odd numbers. For the 2.x series, maybe
we shoud try to focus on stability, performance and polishing in the even
versions :)

Re: Ready to branch?

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Tim

+1 for branching

Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions

Re: Ready to branch?

pcav
Il 07/11/2010 13:16, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi folks...
>
> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>
> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in
> effect.
>
> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.

I'm updating the GUI translation, hope to finish it by this evening. Anyway I do not
think we should stop for this, so +1, if not for a regression I think we should fix
before the release, if it's a general phenomenon:
switching layers off does not work the first time. If I switch of, then on, the off
again, it's ok.
All the best.

Re: Ready to branch?

Milena Nowotarska
Hi,

2010/11/7 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>:
> I'm updating the GUI translation, hope to finish it by this evening. Anyway I do not
> think we should stop for this, so +1, if not for a regression I think we should fix
> before the release, if it's a general phenomenon:
> switching layers off does not work the first time. If I switch of, then on, the off
> again, it's ok.

on win7 it behaves the same way.
Milena
--
Milena Nowotarska
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Milena_Nowotarska

Re: Ready to branch?

Andreas Neumann-4

I don't know if the branching already happened and I am in no position to
influence you developers about when to branch - but I would like to know
if the issues around nested grouping and more powerful re-arranging of
groups and layers are properly tested and bugs resolved?

If not - I would like to suggest that it would receive more attention by
testers and developers before going forward with the release.

I recently heard that often layers aren't properly turned off and on
properly, sometimes the wrong layers and that sometimes dragging around
layers or groups acts weird.

I think that it is one of the major features in QGIS 1.6 (thank you
Jürgen) and that it should be properly tested before the release.

If the issues still exist I would not go forward with the release, as this
is an area that would immediately be visible, cause troubles and hurt
QGIS' reputation if it doesn't work as expected.

A concerted effort of users and developers should be made to resolve those
issues if they still exist.

Andreas

On Sun, November 7, 2010 1:16 pm, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi folks...
>
> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>
> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in
> effect.
>
> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.
>
> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this
> is
> a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if they
> already have it installed.
>
> I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for
> release
> tonight barring major objections.
>
> Regards Tim

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/

Re: Ready to branch?

Radim Blazek-2
Cannot you just create a 1.5 _branch_, not yet the 1.5.0 tag (in SVN terms)?
With the rule that all fixes must be merged to trunk.

Radim

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks...
>
> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>
> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in
> effect.
>
> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.
>
> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this is
> a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if they
> already have it installed.
>
> I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for release
> tonight barring major objections.
>
> Regards Tim

Re: Ready to branch?

Andreas Neumann-4
I just tested with the most recent nightly windows build (build 14528, qt
4.5.2) and the issue that one clicks on a checkbox of a layer and nothing
happens still exists.

One has to turn the layer off and on and off to turn it off. This is not
the case for all layers, but for some.

I heard that other people experienced similar issues (Paolo, Stefan, others).

I recommend not to go on with the 1.6 release until this issue is properly
resolved.

Andreas

On Mon, November 8, 2010 3:23 pm, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if the branching already happened and I am in no position to
> influence you developers about when to branch - but I would like to know
> if the issues around nested grouping and more powerful re-arranging of
> groups and layers are properly tested and bugs resolved?
>
> If not - I would like to suggest that it would receive more attention by
> testers and developers before going forward with the release.
>
> I recently heard that often layers aren't properly turned off and on
> properly, sometimes the wrong layers and that sometimes dragging around
> layers or groups acts weird.
>
> I think that it is one of the major features in QGIS 1.6 (thank you
> Jürgen) and that it should be properly tested before the release.
>
> If the issues still exist I would not go forward with the release, as this
> is an area that would immediately be visible, cause troubles and hurt
> QGIS' reputation if it doesn't work as expected.
>
> A concerted effort of users and developers should be made to resolve those
> issues if they still exist.
>
> Andreas
>

> On Sun, November 7, 2010 1:16 pm, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi folks...
>>
>> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>>
>> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in
>> effect.
>>
>> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
>> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.
>>
>> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this
>> is
>> a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if
>> they
>> already have it installed.
>>
>> I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for
>> release
>> tonight barring major objections.
>>
>> Regards Tim

> Andreas Neumann
> http://www.carto.net/neumann/
> http://www.svgopen.org/

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/

Re: Ready to branch?

Radim Blazek-2
I mean 1.6 branch, sorry.

Radim

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Radim Blazek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cannot you just create a 1.5 _branch_, not yet the 1.5.0 tag (in SVN terms)?
> With the rule that all fixes must be merged to trunk.
>
> Radim
>
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi folks...
>>
>> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>>
>> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in
>> effect.
>>
>> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
>> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.
>>
>> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this is
>> a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if they
>> already have it installed.
>>
>> I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for release
>> tonight barring major objections.
>>
>> Regards Tim

Re: Ready to branch?

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Radim Blazek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mean 1.6 branch, sorry.
>
> Radim
>
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Radim Blazek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Cannot you just create a 1.5 _branch_, not yet the 1.5.0 tag (in SVN terms)?
>> With the rule that all fixes must be merged to trunk.

In theory we could do that but since the point of this release is to
evade a legal threat, I'm going to push out the release with a rider
note to users that we did a rush release etc. and a suggestion that
they stick with 1.5 if they are not happy with the changes made in 1.6
and wait until 1.7 release in December.

Regards

Tim

>> Radim
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi folks...
>>>
>>> We need to press ahead with the release as soon as possible.
>>>
>>> It would not be good to start the hackfest while the freeze is still in
>>> effect.
>>>
>>> Can you please +1 this message if you are happy to release or otherwise
>>> provide a substantial reason why we shouldn't.
>>>
>>> I will include a note with the release announcement explaining that this is
>>> a rush release and suggesting that conservative users stay on 1.5 if they
>>> already have it installed.
>>>
>>> I am travelling at the moment but, internet willing, will branch for release
>>> tonight barring major objections.
>>>
>>> Regards Tim

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming and support services