Reaching out to UN GGIM

Suchith Anand

Hi all,

Great to see the UN OpenGIS Initiative. Can anyone please let me know if the UN OpenGIS has reached out to UN GGIM? It is important we reach out to them and work together for expanding synergies.Thanks.

Best wishes,

Suchith

message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and attachment.

Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored where permitted by law.

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Reaching out to UN GGIM

Werner.Leyh
Hi Suchith

Agree with you

As far as I know hereby the latest infos:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Initiatives-2018-td5343116.html

https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/un-initiative/

Best wishes
werner

R: Reaching out to UN GGIM

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Suchith
This is something that I already introduced under the supervision of the chairs of the initiative, Mr. Kyoung-Soo Eom and Prof. Ki-Joune Li. Please consider that Mr. Kyoung-Soo is part of UN and of UN GGIM as well. I'm the Deputy Chair of UN GGIM Academic Network (I sent an invitation to the geoforall mailing list to invite you to get involved in it, probably it is better me to send it again, in case somebody missed it.I will do that in next days)
Please let me know better what you need.
Happy Sunday!
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: Reaching out to UN GGIM

Suchith Anand

Hi Maria,

Thank you for informing. Apologies if I missed any emails on this. Please resent this.

With these excellent structures in place, it will be good to also share ideas and work together  with UN colleagues on free and open geo tools for SDG mapping and evaluation to help the UN GGIM work. This is very important for developing countries .

Best wishes,

Suchith

Re: Reaching out to UN GGIM

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear All

The United Nations initiative on Global Geospatial Information Management [1] develops and uses geospatial information to address key global challenges. The priorities and work programs of UN-GGIM are driven by Member States and UN-GGIM is looking for university and research center partners from across the globe to help support its aims and objectives.

UN-GGIM has formed in the UN-GGIM Academic Network [2]. This is a strategic arm for UN-GGIM to achieve their vision [3]. The members of this Academic Network will be comprised of relevant universities, academic institutions or research centres where geospatial information research and/or education are accomplished and also want to voluntarily collaborate with UN-GGIM. Qualifications of universities and research institutions to become members are listed in the Terms of References [4].

Although there are no membership dues required, there is an expectation for each member to regularly contribute to one or more objectives of the UN-GGIM Academic Network.

If the aims and goals of your geospatial scholars, scientific and academic institution are in alignment with those of UN-GGIM, I as the Chair of this Academic Network encourage you to review the UN-GGIM Academic Network website and, submit and join this Network by sending an Expression of Interest [5]. Because the EOI must be submitted online in one sitting currently, I recommend that you download the pdf containing the EOI questions so you may have all responses ready to cut and paste into the form as well as the letter of support from your chief administrative officer.

We look forward to your submission. If you would like to discuss any issues or ask questions, please feel free to contact me.

Also for your information, we are conducting an International Forum as part of the upcoming UN-GGIM meeting in NY later this month, so if your are attending this meeting I would be delighted to extend our invitation to you and your colleagues to attend this Forum, which will be on Monday 31 July. The focus and the theme of the Forum will be on:  Secure Land Rights and Smart Cities - Making it Work for Sustainable Development.

Best Regards,
Maria

[1] http://ggim.un.org/

[2] http://unggim.academicnetwork.org

[3]
The primary objective of the UN-GGIM Academic Network is to support the aims and objectives of the United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM), as UN-GGIM sets the agenda for the development of global geospatial information and promotes its use to address key global challenges.

The network will facilitate access globally to research and education capabilities for UN-GGIM and its affiliated members in order to identify and respond to challenges and opportunities for UN-GGIM and related UN offices. The UN-GGIM Academic Network will be a coalition of recognized universities and research and education centers involved in research, development and education on geospatial, land information and related matters, run on a volunteer basis.

[4] http://unggim.academicnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/UNGGIM_AcademicNetwork_TOR.pdf

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4 "Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.htmlBoard of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Academic Network Deputy Chair, UN-GGIM Italy, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]