Re: tiger.info (and Census Feature Class Codes)

Re: tiger.info (and Census Feature Class Codes)

John D. Evans-2
In his message to [hidden email], Allan B Branscomb
<[hidden email]> writes:
> I have one county's TIGER files (type 1 through p) in a directory.  When
> I run tiger.info on the type1 file I get the message "can't find classi-
> fication code support file".

... It sounds like it wants CODESTIG.ASC, the list of Census Feature
Class Codes (CFCC) which describe the type of road or trail (e.g.
"Class 2 road, divided, with median," etc.) for each link.  This file is
in the \DOCUMENT directory on the TIGER CD-ROM.

John Evans                                 "If Oedipus had just been run over
Computer Resource Laboratory,              by a truck, he wouldn't be a
MIT Dept. of Urban Studies & Planning      tragic hero."    -- Gary Dryfoos

Re: tiger.info (and Census Feature Class Codes)

Jacinda M. Barbehenn
>> I have one county's TIGER files (type 1 through p) in a directory.  When I
>> run tiger.info on the type1 file I get the message "can't find classification
>> code support file".

You're problem is that your tiger.info.sh is not finding the support file
(which has the codes and descriptions for the CFCC's) called CFCC.Master.

That file should be in your grass directory under:
        /etc/tiger_support/CFCC.Master

Check to make sure that it's there.

Also another problem that you might run into is that tiger.info.sh (along
with the rest of the GRASS4.0 TIGER related programs) assumes version 2
TIGER files (tgrssccc.f2x).  The differences between TIGER versions 2 and 4
(besides the number of record types) is that version 2 has NO line feeds
and version 4 does.  The GRASS4.0 TIGER programs were written assuming no
line feeds, so if you are going to use version 4 TIGER then you will need to
do a line or two of script/code modification.

-Jacinda Barbehenn
 USACERL/UI GIS LAB

Re: tiger.info (and Census Feature Class Codes)

Jerry Thompson

> That file should be in your grass directory under:
>         /etc/tiger_support/CFCC.Master
>
> Check to make sure that it's there.

This should be $GISBASE/etc/tiger_support/CFCC.Master

Jerry Thompson
Spatial Analysis Systems Team
USA-CERL