Re: cascading WFS

Gabriel Roldan

Hi Tim, cc'ing the list

confirmed we lack a binding in our parser for the ows:extendedCapabilities

element.

What would be good in order to make sure we support ArcGIS server is for you

to create a JIRA issue for it (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT), assign

to the data-wfs module, me (groldan) as the responsible, and attach the

following information:

- A GetCapabilities document just like the one you sent me

- The response of a couple DescribeFeatureType requests

- The response of a couple GetFeature requests.

for the GetFeature requests I would need the originating requests and its

with POST method. And, even more, I need to check the following:

- whether the server respects the maxFeatures param

- whether the server respects the resultType param

- whether the server works with attribute based filters, geometry filters, and

mixed attribute/geometry filters

- whether the server respects the sortBy param

Despite what WFS servers declare in the capabilities, most of them have

trouble with at least one of those parameters.

If I had that information as separate xml files, I could set them up as unit

test data suite for an ArcGIS strategy in the WFS DataStore the same way I did

for the others, or if you feel like doing so you can go ahead with the code,

check out how the test data is set up for the others (you'll see although the

1.0 and 1.1 datastores lives in the same module, the 1.0 one is almost

deprecated and waiting for me to have the energy to move it to the new

framework created for the 1.1 one).

Best regards,

Gabriel

[quote]

[quote]

--

Gabriel Roldan

OpenGeo - http://www.opengeo.org

Gabriel Roldan

OpenGeo - http://www.opengeo.org

Re: cascading WFS

Keane, Tim

Gabriel-

I have been working on producing the requests and responses as you suggested.  However, I am having a no luck getting ArcGIS Server’s WFS to properly apply Filters to GetFeature requests.  So for now I am going to back burner this.

Thanks for your help.

-Tim

confirmed we lack a binding in our parser for the ows:extendedCapabilities

element.

What would be good in order to make sure we support ArcGIS server is for you

to create a JIRA issue for it (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT), assign

to the data-wfs module, me (groldan) as the responsible, and attach the

following information:

- A GetCapabilities document just like the one you sent me

- The response of a couple DescribeFeatureType requests

- The response of a couple GetFeature requests.

for the GetFeature requests I would need the originating requests and its

with POST method. And, even more, I need to check the following:

- whether the server respects the maxFeatures param

- whether the server respects the resultType param

- whether the server works with attribute based filters, geometry filters, and

mixed attribute/geometry filters

- whether the server respects the sortBy param

Despite what WFS servers declare in the capabilities, most of them have

trouble with at least one of those parameters.

If I had that information as separate xml files, I could set them up as unit

test data suite for an ArcGIS strategy in the WFS DataStore the same way I did

for the others, or if you feel like doing so you can go ahead with the code,

check out how the test data is set up for the others (you'll see although the

1.0 and 1.1 datastores lives in the same module, the 1.0 one is almost

deprecated and waiting for me to have the energy to move it to the new

framework created for the 1.1 one).

Best regards,

Gabriel

[quote]

[quote]

On Thursday 12 February 2009 15:32:22 Keane, Tim wrote:

> Gabriel-

> I have been working on producing the requests and responses as you

> suggested. However, I am having a no luck getting ArcGIS Server's WFS

> to properly apply Filters to GetFeature requests. So for now I am going

> to back burner this.

I understand. Still, not everything may be lost. Do the ArcGIS WFS Server claim to be 1.1.0 or 1.0?

In the event they don't support any filtering at all, we could still make use of it and apply the filtering at run time, as we do with any non supported part of a filter. Yes, it will be much slower than desirable, cause the server wouldn't be applying any filtering and hence everytime we access it is like a full table scan, but would at least let fetch the data.

If that's acceptable we could go that way until figuring out if/what subset of the filter spec an ArcGIS WFS actually supports?

Cheers,

Gabriel

> Thanks for your help.

> -Tim

> ________________________________

It claims to be WFS 1.1.0.

I have also found that it fails to parse ogc elements if the namespace is specified (ie: <Filter> parses, but <ogc:Filter> does not).

It also appears that they are not properly escaping textual values returned from the db as you can see if you open the attached response doc.

I complained loudly to ESRI so we’ll see what happens.

-Tim

On Thursday 12 February 2009 15:32:22 Keane, Tim wrote:

> Gabriel-

> I have been working on producing the requests and responses as you

> suggested. However, I am having a no luck getting ArcGIS Server's WFS

> to properly apply Filters to GetFeature requests. So for now I am going

> to back burner this.

I understand. Still, not everything may be lost. Do the ArcGIS WFS Server claim to be 1.1.0 or 1.0?

In the event they don't support any filtering at all, we could still make use of it and apply the filtering at run time, as we do with any non supported part of a filter. Yes, it will be much slower than desirable, cause the server wouldn't be applying any filtering and hence everytime we access it is like a full table scan, but would at least let fetch the data.

If that's acceptable we could go that way until figuring out if/what subset of the filter spec an ArcGIS WFS actually supports?

Cheers,

Gabriel

> Thanks for your help.

> -Tim

> ________________________________

ArcGIS Server 9.3 WFS.zip (124K) Download Attachment

Re: cascading WFS

jody.garnett
Gabriel we have one outstanding bug with the WFS 1.0 against arcsde; we
have no bindings for an errors xsd or something and thus fail to get out
of the gate. Has TIM been able to produce a good error message yet?

Jody

Gabriel Roldan wrote:

> On Thursday 12 February 2009 15:32:22 Keane, Tim wrote:
>
> > Gabriel-
>

> > I have been working on producing the requests and responses as you
>
> > suggested. However, I am having a no luck getting ArcGIS Server's WFS
>
> > to properly apply Filters to GetFeature requests. So for now I am going
>
> > to back burner this.
>
> I understand. Still, not everything may be lost. Do the ArcGIS WFS
> Server claim to be 1.1.0 or 1.0?
>
> In the event they don't support any filtering at all, we could still
> make use of it and apply the filtering at run time, as we do with any
> non supported part of a filter. Yes, it will be much slower than
> desirable, cause the server wouldn't be applying any filtering and
> hence everytime we access it is like a full table scan, but would at
> least let fetch the data.
>
> If that's acceptable we could go that way until figuring out if/what
> subset of the filter spec an ArcGIS WFS actually supports?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gabriel
>

> > Thanks for your help.
>

> > -Tim
>

> > ________________________________

I'm afrais Tim's issue has nothing to do with ArcSDE, but with the ArcGIS WFS implementation?

yet, have a jira link to the issue?

Cheers,

G.

On Thursday 12 February 2009 18:29:17 Jody Garnett wrote:

> Gabriel we have one outstanding bug with the WFS 1.0 against arcsde; we

> have no bindings for an errors xsd or something and thus fail to get out

> of the gate. Has TIM been able to produce a good error message yet?

> Jody

> Gabriel Roldan wrote:

> > On Thursday 12 February 2009 15:32:22 Keane, Tim wrote:

> > > Gabriel-

> > > I have been working on producing the requests and responses as you

> > > suggested. However, I am having a no luck getting ArcGIS Server's WFS

> > > to properly apply Filters to GetFeature requests. So for now I am going

> > > to back burner this.

> > I understand. Still, not everything may be lost. Do the ArcGIS WFS

> > Server claim to be 1.1.0 or 1.0?

> > In the event they don't support any filtering at all, we could still

> > make use of it and apply the filtering at run time, as we do with any

> > non supported part of a filter. Yes, it will be much slower than

> > desirable, cause the server wouldn't be applying any filtering and

> > hence everytime we access it is like a full table scan, but would at

> > least let fetch the data.

> > If that's acceptable we could go that way until figuring out if/what

> > subset of the filter spec an ArcGIS WFS actually supports?

> > Cheers,

> > Gabriel

> > > Thanks for your help.

> > > -Tim

> > > ________________________________

Correct ESRI WFS implementation - issues are here:

So how about a GML2 and GML3 implementation based on justin's framework :-) I have had a couple of questions about the GMLDataStore in the last month; we should probably just kill it if nobody is going to work on it - does it even pass test cases right now?

On Friday 13 February 2009 01:15:29 Jody Garnett wrote:

> Is there any way we can detect an ESRI server is being used (perhaps a

> common pattern in the capabilities url; or some hint in the capabilities

> document?)

hum, it doesn't seem so. Ionic puts its own namespace declaration so its easy. For others we're fallbacking to a comment in the getcaps like <!-- ... CubeWerx ...-->, or worse, a pattern in the url, like "*MapServer*".

but these two doesn't seem like sharing any pattern. Another approach could be to hit the server with a couple strategic queries and heuristically find out what it supports... but given the 1.0 datastore is unmaintained it doesn't seem like anyone is gonna put that much effort into it. But I do am looking forward for the time to port 1.0 to the design used for 1.1, but it lacks transactions yet.

Gabriel

> Perhaps we can adjust our encoding of Filter as a special case

> while we wait for a bug report. Good detective skills to figure out what

> they will accept.

> Jody

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Keane, Tim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Gabriel-

> > It claims to be WFS 1.1.0.

> > I have also found that it fails to parse ogc elements if the namespace is

> > specified (ie: <Filter> parses, but <ogc:Filter> does not).

> > It also appears that they are not properly escaping textual values

> > returned from the db as you can see if you open the attached response

> > doc.

> > I complained loudly to ESRI so we'll see what happens.

> > -Tim

> > ------------------------------

If the ArcGIS Server WFS is set up using ESRI’s basic setup wizards it appears that the service URL will consistently follow this pattern:

http://<hostname>/arcgis/services/<servicename>/MapServer/WFSServer

I think it could be different if the service uses an external capabilities file or the administrator does something out of the ordinary, but I don’t really know.

On Friday 13 February 2009 01:15:29 Jody Garnett wrote:

> Is there any way we can detect an ESRI server is being used (perhaps a

> common pattern in the capabilities url; or some hint in the capabilities

> document?)

hum, it doesn't seem so. Ionic puts its own namespace declaration so its easy. For others we're fallbacking to a comment in the getcaps like <!-- ... CubeWerx ...-->, or worse, a pattern in the url, like "*MapServer*".

but these two doesn't seem like sharing any pattern. Another approach could be to hit the server with a couple strategic queries and heuristically find out what it supports... but given the 1.0 datastore is unmaintained it doesn't seem like anyone is gonna put that much effort into it. But I do am looking forward for the time to port 1.0 to the design used for 1.1, but it lacks transactions yet.

Gabriel

> Perhaps we can adjust our encoding of Filter as a special case

> while we wait for a bug report. Good detective skills to figure out what

> they will accept.

> Jody

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Keane, Tim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Gabriel-

> > It claims to be WFS 1.1.0.

> > I have also found that it fails to parse ogc elements if the namespace is

> > specified (ie: <Filter> parses, but <ogc:Filter> does not).

> > It also appears that they are not properly escaping textual values

> > returned from the db as you can see if you open the attached response

> > doc.

> > I complained loudly to ESRI so we'll see what happens.

> > -Tim

> > ------------------------------

The illegal character in the response is a non-issue.  The problem was caused by the test harness developed by my team.

If the ArcGIS Server WFS is set up using ESRI’s basic setup wizards it appears that the service URL will consistently follow this pattern:

http://<hostname>/arcgis/services/<servicename>/MapServer/WFSServer

I think it could be different if the service uses an external capabilities file or the administrator does something out of the ordinary, but I don’t really know.

On Friday 13 February 2009 01:15:29 Jody Garnett wrote:

> Is there any way we can detect an ESRI server is being used (perhaps a

> common pattern in the capabilities url; or some hint in the capabilities

> document?)

hum, it doesn't seem so. Ionic puts its own namespace declaration so its easy. For others we're fallbacking to a comment in the getcaps like <!-- ... CubeWerx ...-->, or worse, a pattern in the url, like "*MapServer*".

but these two doesn't seem like sharing any pattern. Another approach could be to hit the server with a couple strategic queries and heuristically find out what it supports... but given the 1.0 datastore is unmaintained it doesn't seem like anyone is gonna put that much effort into it. But I do am looking forward for the time to port 1.0 to the design used for 1.1, but it lacks transactions yet.

Gabriel

> Perhaps we can adjust our encoding of Filter as a special case

> while we wait for a bug report. Good detective skills to figure out what

> they will accept.

> Jody

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Keane, Tim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Gabriel-

> > It claims to be WFS 1.1.0.

> > I have also found that it fails to parse ogc elements if the namespace is

> > specified (ie: <Filter> parses, but <ogc:Filter> does not).

> > It also appears that they are not properly escaping textual values

> > returned from the db as you can see if you open the attached response

> > doc.

> > I complained loudly to ESRI so we'll see what happens.

> > -Tim

> > ------------------------------

After opening a ticket with ESRI and working out the kinks I have been able to put together a number of successful queries (see attached).  Important considerations:

1.  If your ESRI data does not have a spatial index spatial queries will return all features of the FeatureType.

2.  The children of the ogc:Filter element must all specify the ogc namespace or parsing will fail:

    <ogc:Filter>
      <ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo>
        <ogc:PropertyName>ProjectID</ogc:PropertyName>
        <ogc:Literal>PV467-PLA</ogc:Literal>
      </ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo>
    </ogc:Filter>

3.  If the ogc namespace is excluded from the Filter element all features are returned.

4.  The srsName attribute of gml spatial elements, like Envelope, seems to be limited in what forms are recognized:

This works:

        <gml:Envelope srsName="EPSG:2263">
          <gml:lowerCorner>986000 204000</gml:lowerCorner>
          <gml:upperCorner>987000 205000</gml:upperCorner>
        </gml:Envelope>

But this:

        <gml:Envelope
          srsName="http://www.opengis.net/gml/srs/epsg.xml#2263">
          <gml:lowerCorner>986000 204000</gml:lowerCorner>
          <gml:upperCorner>987000 205000</gml:upperCorner>
        </gml:Envelope>

Returns the following exception:

        <ows:ExceptionReport version='1.1.0' language='en'
          xmlns:ows='http://www.opengis.net/ows'>
          <ows:Exception exceptionCode='InvalidParameterValue'>
            <ows:ExceptionText>the input string is not a geographic
              or projected coordinate system</ows:ExceptionText>
          </ows:Exception>
        </ows:ExceptionReport>

-Tim

On Thursday 12 February 2009 15:32:22 Keane, Tim wrote:
> Gabriel-
>

> I have been working on producing the requests and responses as you
> suggested. However, I am having a no luck getting ArcGIS Server's WFS
> to properly apply Filters to GetFeature requests. So for now I am going
> to back burner this.
I understand. Still, not everything may be lost. Do the ArcGIS WFS Server claim to be 1.1.0 or 1.0?
In the event they don't support any filtering at all, we could still make use of it and apply the filtering at run time, as we do with any non supported part of a filter. Yes, it will be much slower than desirable, cause the server wouldn't be applying any filtering and hence everytime we access it is like a full table scan, but would at least let fetch the data.
If that's acceptable we could go that way until figuring out if/what subset of the filter spec an ArcGIS WFS actually supports?
Cheers,
Gabriel

> Thanks for your help.
>
> -Tim
>

> ________________________________

ArcGIS Server_9.3_WFS.zip (131K) Download Attachment

Re: cascading WFS

Keane, Tim
Gabriel-

I am not sure what the process is for submitting requested changes to geotools or becoming a committer.  I have attached a zip file with some changes to the org.geotools.data.wfs.protocol.http.AbstractHttpProtocol and org.geotools.data.wfs.protocol.http.SimpleHttpProtocol classes as the ones from geotools trunk did not provide for including the authentication included in the geoserver WFS DataStore from.

I was able to work around the GetCapabilities parsing issue by forcing ArcGIS Server to return a response that excluded the ows:ExtendedCapabilities element.  I looked at the org.geotools.ows.OWS class that contains the info for creating the binding objects but there wasn't much in the way of testing so I didn't spend a lot of time trying to understand how to create an appropriate binding.

I can now create a DataStore from the ArcGIS Server 9.3 WFS, however there is still a security issue when trying to create a FeatureType (see stack.txt attached).  It looks as though the org.geotools.xml.XSD class is also ignoring the auth info that is required for the WFS when it does a DescribeFeature.

-Tim

Re: cascading WFS

Gabriel Roldan
Hi Tim,

glad to see you've been making good progress on this, and also glad to hear you're interested in becomming a commiter for the wfs module.

What you need to do to make that happen is to create a jira issue explaining the bug/improvement/whatever (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT) and attach the patch there. You can create the patches with the svn diff command like $svn diff > wfs.patch

If you really want the patch to be applied asap what you can do is to provide also a junit test case that reproduces the bug(s) you're fixing.

When you provide a couple decent patches, gain the module maintainer's confidence and you want to become a commiter to the module, the maintainer proposes you for commit access. Then you need to sign up a copyright assignment document to OSGeo for your work, if you're gonna keep working on the module.

That's the general procedure to become a commiter on GeoTools. You can find more detailed information on the developer's guide <http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/Home>

Note though that the wfs module is barely maintained, meaning that even though I'm looking forward for more involvement on it, it's not on my top priorities right now, and I never was the maintainer for it anyway, just chimmed in for the wfs 1.1 support, which as said I'd like to keep working on. So if you'd like to get involved in gt development and become a module maintainer you'll be more than welcome, by me, by the module and by the community.

Best regards,

Gabriel