Re: What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Re: What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Cameron Shorter
OGC Standards folks,

I forgot to CC you on this original email. Sorry.

Who looks after the list of OGC Acronyms?

We are interested to understand how you manage these acronyms, and
whether it would make sense to align with a similar OSGeo initiative.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Cameron Shorter
** Apparently Ron's email below bounced from the standards list. **

Hi Ron,

I like your suggestion, and your offer to help set it up fits well with
the "do-ochracy" principle of open source software. This can be the
first term to the glossary.

Do-ochracy: The principle where the person who volunteers to do the work
gets to decide how it gets done.

I guess the next step is to work out how to set this up, and I'm keen to
get some answers to my question below about what fields we should
collect for our first dataset that we use to seed the glossary.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

Cameron Shorter

** Forwarding Ron's email while email subscription details get sorted out. **

On 28/9/19 10:50 pm, Ronald Tse wrote:
Hi Cameron,

Thank you for the multiple attempts to help post this message :-)

And congratulations on coming up with a good new term! (“Doochracy" may not even need the hyphen, similar to cooperation.)

1. If we can get a consensus that osgeo.geolexica.org (or any other domain you control/prefer) is a good idea, we can start something right away.

2. In terms of content, this is a sample of the concept data structure / fields entered into Geolexica:

term: geometric complex
termid: 212
eng:
  id: 212
  term: geometric complex
  definition: set of disjoint geometric primitives where the boundary of each geometric
    primitive can be represented as the union of other geometric primitives of smaller
    dimension within the same set
  language_code: eng
  notes:
  - The geometric primitives in the set are disjoint in the sense that no direct position
    is interior to more than one geometric primitive. The set is closed under boundary
    operations, meaning that for each element in the geometric complex, there is a
    collection (also a geometric complex) of geometric primitives that represents
    the boundary of that element. Recall that the boundary of a point (the only 0D
    primitive object type in geometry) is empty. Thus, if the largest dimension geometric
    primitive is a solid (3D), the composition of the boundary operator in this definition
    terminates after at most three steps. It is also the case that the boundary of
    any object is a cycle.
  examples: []
  entry_status: valid
  classification: preferred
  review_indicator: ''
  authoritative_source:
    ref: ISO 19107:2003
  date_accepted: 2003-05-01 00:00:00.000000000 +08:00
  release: ‘1'

Keep in mind that the definition / examples / notes can contain rich text, such as math equations, graphics, lists, etc.

Kind regards,
Ron

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

+=========================================================+
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: What terms should go into an OSGeo Glossary?

adam steer-2
Hi Cameron, Ron, standardsfolks

I think its fantastic to look at how OGC and ISO ’speak geo’ and if not unify, at least have some common ways of translation. Sound familiar? It is! The same old pattern, a bit like OGC standard-dom or pep8 (I can’t relate to ISO standards because I don’t have bandwidth to head there…)

I’d also like to see ‘do-ocracy' defined differently. This version:

Do-ochracy: The principle where the person who volunteers to do the work
gets to decide how it gets done.

…to me looks like 'say-ocracy’.

A do-ocracy looks to me like a system whereby the person who volunteers to do work curates the work into existence taking into account the manifold points of view within the OSGeo ecosystem, winning some ideological battles and losing others along the way, and stepping back / allowing others to take the reins if there are blockages or bandwidth issues. In that spirit howvabout:

Do-ocracy: the principle where the person who volunteers to do work for an organisation works toward the completion of that work taking into account the diversity of views and values of the organisation

…which (IMO) covers ‘doing’ in terms of both personally doing, and ‘curating’ as in coordinating work if not doing personally.

Regards,

Adam