Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Cameron Shorter
OSGeo Conference committee,
I'm forwarding this email onto the conference committee's public list to ensure transparency. It was sent to the following voting members of the conference committee:
Eli Adam
Till Adams
Peter Batty
David Bitner
Maria Brovelli
Vasile Craciunescu
David Fawcett
Steven Feldman
Gavin Fleming
Darrell Fuhriman
Claude Philipona
Venkatesh Raghavan
Paul Ramsey
Sanghee Shin
Guido Stein
Michael Terner
Msilikale Msilanga
Mark Iliffle

If you have not received this email, and think that you should, please publicly speak up before the deadline.
I've been responding to people as they send their votes in. If you don't receive a response, then feel free to chase me.
So far, we've received votes from:
Eli Adam
Maria Brovelli
Steven Feldman
Gavin Fleming
Venkatesh Raghavan
Paul Ramsey
Guido Stein
Michael Terner
Mark Iliffle

Cheers, Cameron (acting as one of the FOSS4G 2020 CROs)

On 13/10/2018 1:32 AM, Till Adams wrote:

Dear Voting Members of OSGeo's Conference Committee,

I know, it's still some time left today, but as I am on my way back from Barcelona home tomorow, I herewith send out the call on voting on the three phantastic LoI's for hosting FOSS4G 2020, that we received. Due to our timetable in [1] the voting period on the LoI's lasts from 13th to 18th of October (last possible time).

So please send your votes to:

Arnulf Christl

and

Cameron Shorter

The voting mechanism for stage 1 is as follows: Please vote on every single LoI with one thumb up / thumb down each and send your *three* votes to the two guys mentioned above - no of the mails to me, neither CC, nor BCC.

Your Email can look as follows:

Halifax +1

Calgary +1

Niagara Falls +1

(Of course only in case, that you vote *thumbs up* for all tree ;-). BTW: A vote against can be a "-1" and this is not comparable with the "-1" we know from OSgeo discussions, because here it does not require any reason and/or alternative, it just means "thumb down".... )

Please find all relevant information on the WIKI [1]. The teams that receive more +1's than -1's LoI's will pass stage 1.

I hope, that ALL of us will send their voting emails to Arnulf and Cameron before the last possibe time on 18th of October 2018 passed - as said, we need a strong quorum, especially when there are three teams from one country bidding for the same conference.

Regards, Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2020_Bid_Process

Am 07.10.2018 um 08:36 schrieb Till Adams:
Dear Voting members of OSGeo's conference committee!

This is just a reminder to be prepared to vote on the LoI's on the RfP 2020.

Please take your time to review the LoI's [1], aks qwuestions on the
conference committee list until 12th of October and then please vote
until 18th of October. I just asked two potential CRO's to assist us for
the voting process, I will send their email-adresses in a seperate email
once they agreed.

Please remember that choosing the location of future FOSS4G's is your
only duty in the conference committee and remember that it is important
to have the opinion of as many of you as possible so that we can choose
the best location for FOSS4G 2020.

If you now already know, that you will not be able to rate & vote,
please drop me a note ASAP. After the RfP I will ask the members, that
did not vote, whether they want to remain as voting members or not.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Till Adams
Dear list,

sorry, if that fact caused intransparency, that was not my intention.

I wanted mostly that only the voting members receive this email to make
sure, that only they vote ;-)

Thanks Cameron,
Till

Am 15.10.2018 um 23:57 schrieb Cameron Shorter:

> [...]
>>>
>>> This is just a reminder to be prepared to vote on the LoI's on the RfP 2020.
>>>
>>> Please take your time to review the LoI's [1], aks qwuestions on the
>>> conference committee list until 12th of October and then please vote
>>> until 18th of October. I just asked two potential CRO's to assist us for
>>> the voting process, I will send their email-adresses in a seperate email
>>> once they agreed.
>>>
>>> Please remember that choosing the location of future FOSS4G's is your
>>> only duty in the conference committee and remember that it is important
>>> to have the opinion of as many of you as possible so that we can choose
>>> the best location for FOSS4G 2020.
>>>
>>> If you now already know, that you will not be able to rate & vote,
>>> please drop me a note ASAP. After the RfP I will ask the members, that
>>> did not vote, whether they want to remain as voting members or not.

SHOGun - das WebGIS Framework.
Jetzt umsteigen! QGIS 3 ist verfügbar.

Mail: [hidden email]
Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 52

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Kölnstraße 99
53111 Bonn

Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 51
Fax.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 57

Internet: www.terrestris.de

Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835

Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen, Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams

Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf unserer
Homepage unter folgendem Link:
https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Cameron Shorter

Folks,

Today is the last day to vote. Arnulf and I are still waiting on votes from:

David Bitner
David Fawcett
Claude Philipona

On 16/10/18 8:57 am, Cameron Shorter wrote:
[...]

Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October - STATUS

Till Adams-3
Dear @2020 Teams!

We just wait for one confirmation from one of our voting CRO's, so I'm
gonna have to ask your patience.

As soon as this confirmation comes, we will publish the result.

So far, Till

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Cameron Shorter

Voting period for FOSS4G 2020 Stage 1 is complete. We received votes from:

Eli Adam
Till Adams
Peter Batty
David Bitner
Maria Brovelli
Vasile Craciunescu
Steven Feldman
Gavin Fleming
Darrell Fuhriman
Claude Philipona
Venkatesh Raghavan
Paul Ramsey
Sanghee Shin
Guido Stein
Michael Terner
Msilikale Msilanga
Mark Iliffle

Unless it was lot in transit, we haven't received a vote from:

David Fawcett

All bar one of the voters voted as requested with a combination of +1, -1 for each city as requested.

One voter only voted +1 for their preferred city. We counted 0 for the other cities for their vote.

The sum of +1,0,-1 votes for each city for stage 1 is:

Halifax: 17

Calgary: 14

Niagara Falls: 0

This means that Halifax and Calgary both qualify to continue to stage 2 of the RFQ.

I understand that Arnulf is in a poor internet connection area at the moment and I haven't been able to discuss and confirm these results with him. Hopefully he will be able to reply to confirm the result when he is back online.

Thanks to all who participated. Congratulations and best of luck for the next stage for Halifax and Calgary.

Niagara Falls participants, maybe you will want to find a way to become involved with the other cities.

Warm regards, Cameron (acting as CRO)

[...]

guidos
Thanks Cameron for sharing the results.

Congrats to Halifax and Calgary teams.

Thanks to the Niagara team for putting in a bid.

Have a great weekend folks

-Guido

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 3:40 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

JonathanNeufeld

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the votes! On behalf of the Calgary LOC we are excited to be moving forward to the next stage and look forward to engaging with you as this event comes together.

Regards,

Jon

JONATHAN NEUFELD, P.ENG, MBA
CEO

TECTERRA INC.
DIRECT  403.532.4281 MOBILE 403.473.4333
EMAIL [hidden email]   WEB www.tecterra.com

108, 8826 Blackfoot Trail SE Calgary, AB T2J 3J1 Canada

TERRA_Logo

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

jmckenna
Administrator
Thank you for this great news!  We're honoured to be given the chance
for the next stage, and realize that there is a lot of hard work still
to be done.  More from the FOSS4G-HFX team soon!

-Karine & Jeff
FOSS4G-HFX 2020 co-chairs

On 2018-10-19 4:40 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Voting period for FOSS4G 2020 Stage 1 is complete. We received votes from:
>
> Eli Adam
> Till Adams
> Peter Batty
> David Bitner
> Maria Brovelli
> Vasile Craciunescu
> Steven Feldman
> Gavin Fleming
> Darrell Fuhriman
> Claude Philipona
> Venkatesh Raghavan
> Paul Ramsey
> Sanghee Shin
> Guido Stein
> Michael Terner
> Msilikale Msilanga
> Mark Iliffle
>
> Unless it was lot in transit, we haven't received a vote from:
>
> David Fawcett
>
> All bar one of the voters voted as requested with a combination of +1,
> -1 for each city as requested.
>
> One voter only voted +1 for their preferred city. We counted 0 for the
> other cities for their vote.
>
> The sum of +1,0,-1 votes for each city for stage 1 is:
>
> Halifax: 17
>
> Calgary: 14
>
> Niagara Falls: 0
>
> This means that Halifax and Calgary both qualify to continue to stage 2
> of the RFQ.
>
> I understand that Arnulf is in a poor internet connection area at the
> moment and I haven't been able to discuss and confirm these results with
> him. Hopefully he will be able to reply to confirm the result when he is
> back online.
>
> Thanks to all who participated. Congratulations and best of luck for the
> next stage for Halifax and Calgary.
>
> Niagara Falls participants, maybe you will want to find a way to become
> involved with the other cities.
>
> Warm regards, Cameron (acting as CRO)

>>> --
>>> Cameron Shorter
>>> Technology Demystifier
>>> Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant
>>>
>>> M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Till Adams-3

Dear list,

also congrats from me to the two teams, that stay on stage!

I am sorry for the Niagara Falls team, but as I know, how much work it is, to prepare a full proposal, I can say, that at least you will safe that life-time ;-). As Cameron suggested, maybe you are wanting to join one of the other teams and make a great event happen in your country!

Also many thanks to Cameron and Arnulf, to be our CRO's!

For Halifax and Calgary: Please note that your proposal is expected  by 23. of November last possible time [1]. If you have finished your proposal earlier, but don't want to publish it on the list, you can send it to Cameron and Arnulf, who will then distribute it to the eligible members of the committee.

If you have any question(s), don't hesitate to contact us, OSGeo's CC. There is a lot of experience in runing such a conference ovr here!

Am 19.10.2018 um 21:40 schrieb Cameron Shorter:

[...]

Arnulf Christl-3
Cameron,
thanks for taking care of the election, confirming votes and answering
all questions!

Conference Team:
as co-chair I confirm the list sent out by Cameron. Hallifax and Calgary
qualify for the next round. We had 17 active voters and all counts
listed in Camerons email are correct .

Sorry for the somewhat belated confirmation.

Best regards,

Arnulf

> Voting period for FOSS4G 2020 Stage 1 is complete. We received votes from:
>
> Eli Adam
> Till Adams
> Peter Batty
> David Bitner
> Maria Brovelli
> Vasile Craciunescu
> Steven Feldman
> Gavin Fleming
> Darrell Fuhriman
> Claude Philipona
> Venkatesh Raghavan
> Paul Ramsey
> Sanghee Shin
> Guido Stein
> Michael Terner
> Msilikale Msilanga
> Mark Iliffle
>
> Unless it was lot in transit, we haven't received a vote from:
>
> David Fawcett
>
> All bar one of the voters voted as requested with a combination of +1,
> -1 for each city as requested.
>
> One voter only voted +1 for their preferred city. We counted 0 for the
> other cities for their vote.
>
> The sum of +1,0,-1 votes for each city for stage 1 is:
>
> Halifax: 17
>
> Calgary: 14
>
> Niagara Falls: 0
>
> This means that Halifax and Calgary both qualify to continue to stage 2
> of the RFQ.
>
> I understand that Arnulf is in a poor internet connection area at the
> moment and I haven't been able to discuss and confirm these results with
> him. Hopefully he will be able to reply to confirm the result when he is
> back online.
>
> Thanks to all who participated. Congratulations and best of luck for the
> next stage for Halifax and Calgary.
>
> Niagara Falls participants, maybe you will want to find a way to become
> involved with the other cities.
>
> Warm regards, Cameron (acting as CRO)

--
http://metaspatial.net
Spatially enabling your business.

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

massimiliano cannata-2
Dear Conference committee,
after the selection, I pose here some issues I see in the conference committee and process.
I hope to open a constructive discussion toward an always better FOSS4G.

First, I don't understand why the selection of the FOSS4G hosting team is restricted to "selected" members only.
Conversely, the selection of the presentations is open to everyone. Why to select a team it is required, "generally", to be considered an expert in organizing big events (what is big and what event is still to be defined well..) while for selecting which topics are interesting and innovative this expertise is not required and anyone con vote?

I also add that I think is very inappropriate to accept presentation with "literally" an abstract of two sentences to participate in the
conference? The votes are then obviously based on "brotherhood" and not on specific contents. For example, why "sponsored" presentations are not marked as sponsored? Google does it when you do your searches ;-)

Finally, I wonder at how many "big" events the voting members participate every year. Do they go around to see what other do, or is enough organizing a conference 10 years ago to be considered at the state of the art in conference matters?

my 5 cents

Best,
Maxi

Il giorno lun 15 ott 2018 alle ore 23:57 Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Dr. Eng. Massimiliano Cannata
Responsabile Area Geomatica
Istituto Scienze della Terra
Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
Via Trevano, c.p. 72
CH-6952 Canobbio-Lugano
Tel: +41 (0)58 666 62 14
Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

Re: Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Renschler, Christian
Dear All,
Dear Till,

Congratulations to the Halifax and Calgary Teams for advancing to the next round. Best wishes and we look forward attending your meeting in 2020.

Despite the technical difficulties we had to get access to edit the Wiki, we hope that this did not influence the committee members decision and that we get another chance to host the FOSS4G international conference sometime in the near future.

The “zero" vote was quite disappointing and some more details would be helpful.

We would appreciate any constructive feedback from the voting committee members (as well as our friendly competitors) to present a more attractive proposal next time.

Please send us directly your constructive criticism, helpful comments and any suggestions for a more attractive future bid to: Brad ([hidden email]) and Chris ([hidden email]).

It would be great if you could particularly comment on the idea of an inclusive, bi-national bid for the conference or related concerns.

Best wishes to all of you making FOSS4G a continued success,
Brad Berg (Canada Co-Chair) &
Chris Renschler (US Co-Chair).

On Oct 20, 2018, at 5:07 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Maxi,

I feel like the questions below have been covered in detail in prior debates on this list, and in responding I'm just restating opinions made before.

I'm responding now to acknowledge that I've heard you, and while I respect the importance of being able to share one's views, I feel we don't want to spend all our time debating one topic and not moving onto more productive things.

Summarising prior points on this topic:

* The large conferences are financially risky for OSGeo and have failed in the past (FOSS4G Beijing was cancelled)

* Large conferences have many factors to consider in order to become successful

* They require significant work from the local organising committee

* OSGeo should aim to use trustworthy people, with both the experience and time commitment, to make decisions about selection of a conference venue. Typically such people have already spent time running a large conference.

* To your point of presentation selection, selecting presentations is less risky and drawing upon the wisdom of crowds is a more effective way of getting a depth of opinion from our community. Hence, for the last decade or so, we have adopted what I consider to be an effective community voting process for presentations.

Maxi, I acknowledge that my response probably doesn't align with your opinions. But I'm hoping that we can agree to disagree, and in this case defer to the majority opinion from our current conference committee.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 22/10/18 5:31 am, massimiliano cannata wrote:
[...]

@Maxi,

I see another quite important point regarding the restricted votes:

I regard the voting members of CC as independent, as they already ran a conference, there should be no personal things that influence them in their vote.

Also, I can second Camerons opinion  from my experience (having run one FOSS4G and several regional F4G-events): Yes, there is a *big* difference and for a global conference there are really many things to consder.

Thanks to Cameron for the perfect summary,

Till