Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS tiles & artifacts

Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS tiles & artifacts

Tim Schaub-2
Yo dev-

We never had a full discussion on tile gutters.

The problem: not all servers render well at tile edges.
The solution: let the client (optionally) disregard tile edges.

An example:
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/gutter/examples/gutter.html

I'll add this as a ticket for 2.5.  It's simple code and could make it
in to 2.4, but I know we're all busy this week.

Happy to hear any discussion.  I've heard positive feedback from a
number of folks (Rob cc'd here).

Tim

Bobby Braswell wrote:

> Tim:
>
> I just switched to OpenLayers, in part because of your tile gutters fix
> posted here
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/mapserver-users@.../msg10370.html>.
> I can now display and query thousands of markers at once, example here
> <http://waage.sr.unh.edu/goo/ol.html>. Thanks. Should I copy the code,
> or can I continue to link to yours? Or, should I wait for this to become
> part of an upcoming version? Or should I do something else? Sorry I'm
> new to this.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>

> --
> Bobby H. Braswell (Rob)
> Institute for the Study of Earth Oceans and Space
> University of New Hampshire
> Durham, NH 03824 USA

Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS tiles & artifacts

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:06:40AM -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:

> Yo dev-
>
> We never had a full discussion on tile gutters.
>
> The problem: not all servers render well at tile edges.
> The solution: let the client (optionally) disregard tile edges.
>
> An example:
> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/gutter/examples/gutter.html
>
> I'll add this as a ticket for 2.5.  It's simple code and could make it
> in to 2.4, but I know we're all busy this week.
>
> Happy to hear any discussion.  I've heard positive feedback from a
> number of folks (Rob cc'd here).

I'm in favor. The code is simple enough, and doesn't harm anything. I
want a base level of tests and complete JSDoc before it goes in -- I
haven't checked for either of those. I think 2.5 is sane.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS tiles & artifacts

Paul Spencer-2
I think this is a good fix for those that can't change their WMS server.

It should probably be clearly documented that if you use this
technique, you can end up with clipped labels and point symbols that
would otherwise not occur.

Cheers

Paul

On 12-Mar-07, at 1:08 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:06:40AM -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
>> Yo dev-
>>
>> We never had a full discussion on tile gutters.
>>
>> The problem: not all servers render well at tile edges.
>> The solution: let the client (optionally) disregard tile edges.
>>
>> An example:
>> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/gutter/examples/gutter.html
>>
>> I'll add this as a ticket for 2.5.  It's simple code and could
>> make it
>> in to 2.4, but I know we're all busy this week.
>>
>> Happy to hear any discussion.  I've heard positive feedback from a
>> number of folks (Rob cc'd here).
>
> I'm in favor. The code is simple enough, and doesn't harm anything. I
> want a base level of tests and complete JSDoc before it goes in -- I
> haven't checked for either of those. I think 2.5 is sane.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

|Paul Spencer                          [hidden email]    |
|Chief Technology Officer                                         |
|DM Solutions Group Inc                http://www.dmsolutions.ca/ |