Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

stevenfeldman
Hi

I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP

I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.

We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.

Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
  1. You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
  2. Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
  3. Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING

Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven


On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.

Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.

I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.

Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.

Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.

Cheers!
John

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael, Steven

What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.

I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?

Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn? 

We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...

Thanks



_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

stevenfeldman
Further thought

We do need to draft a clear policy statement on funding and process of future FOSS4Gs. Till and I have the Call for LoI’s for FOSS4G 2020 to get out within the next week or so which we must prioritise.

I’m suggesting that we approve Oceania’s $2k request and aim to get the general TGP policy written up before the end of the calendar year so that we are better equipped to support a number of FOSS4G events (global and regional) in 2019. That will need a budget submission to the board for 2019.

Cheers
______
Steven


On 11 Sep 2018, at 17:08, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP

I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.

We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.

Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
  1. You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
  2. Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
  3. Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING

Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven


On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.

Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.

I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.

Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.

Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.

Cheers!
John

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael, Steven

What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.

I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?

Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn? 

We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...

Thanks




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

John Bryant
Steven & Michael

Thanks very much for your thoughtful & supportive responses. Steven, your suggestions sound exactly right to me, and we've already taken these on board in our implementation (applications are currently incoming).

So it sounds like we have general support within this group - does this require an OSGeo board motion?

If so, for clarity: 
  • Our request is for AUD $3k (approx USD $2150) to support our regional FOSS4G Travel Grant Program.
  • We're contributing AUD $4500 in cash and 5 registrations (our cost approx AUD $1500).
  • If we receive support from OSGeo, we will contribute an additional 3 registrations (our cost approx AUD $900).
  • Further details are available here.

Thank you!
John

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 02:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Further thought

We do need to draft a clear policy statement on funding and process of future FOSS4Gs. Till and I have the Call for LoI’s for FOSS4G 2020 to get out within the next week or so which we must prioritise.

I’m suggesting that we approve Oceania’s $2k request and aim to get the general TGP policy written up before the end of the calendar year so that we are better equipped to support a number of FOSS4G events (global and regional) in 2019. That will need a budget submission to the board for 2019.

Cheers
______
Steven


On 11 Sep 2018, at 17:08, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP

I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.

We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.

Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
  1. You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
  2. Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
  3. Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING

Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven


On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.

Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.

I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.

Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.

Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.

Cheers!
John

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael, Steven

What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.

I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?

Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn? 

We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...

Thanks




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

stevenfeldman
Could someone on the Board confirm whether a motion is required (Board or Conference Committee)
______
Steven


On 11 Sep 2018, at 23:00, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steven & Michael

Thanks very much for your thoughtful & supportive responses. Steven, your suggestions sound exactly right to me, and we've already taken these on board in our implementation (applications are currently incoming).

So it sounds like we have general support within this group - does this require an OSGeo board motion?

If so, for clarity: 
  • Our request is for AUD $3k (approx USD $2150) to support our regional FOSS4G Travel Grant Program.
  • We're contributing AUD $4500 in cash and 5 registrations (our cost approx AUD $1500).
  • If we receive support from OSGeo, we will contribute an additional 3 registrations (our cost approx AUD $900).
  • Further details are available here.

Thank you!
John

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 02:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Further thought

We do need to draft a clear policy statement on funding and process of future FOSS4Gs. Till and I have the Call for LoI’s for FOSS4G 2020 to get out within the next week or so which we must prioritise.

I’m suggesting that we approve Oceania’s $2k request and aim to get the general TGP policy written up before the end of the calendar year so that we are better equipped to support a number of FOSS4G events (global and regional) in 2019. That will need a budget submission to the board for 2019.

Cheers
______
Steven


On 11 Sep 2018, at 17:08, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP

I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.

We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.

Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
  1. You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
  2. Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
  3. Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING

Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven


On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.

Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.

I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.

Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.

Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.

Cheers!
John

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael, Steven

What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.

I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?

Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn? 

We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...

Thanks





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

delawen
A motion is required. This is on my TODO/unread list to answer properly. 

El mié., 12 sept. 2018 12:18, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> escribió:
Could someone on the Board confirm whether a motion is required (Board or Conference Committee)
______
Steven


On 11 Sep 2018, at 23:00, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steven & Michael

Thanks very much for your thoughtful & supportive responses. Steven, your suggestions sound exactly right to me, and we've already taken these on board in our implementation (applications are currently incoming).

So it sounds like we have general support within this group - does this require an OSGeo board motion?

If so, for clarity: 
  • Our request is for AUD $3k (approx USD $2150) to support our regional FOSS4G Travel Grant Program.
  • We're contributing AUD $4500 in cash and 5 registrations (our cost approx AUD $1500).
  • If we receive support from OSGeo, we will contribute an additional 3 registrations (our cost approx AUD $900).
  • Further details are available here.

Thank you!
John

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 02:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Further thought

We do need to draft a clear policy statement on funding and process of future FOSS4Gs. Till and I have the Call for LoI’s for FOSS4G 2020 to get out within the next week or so which we must prioritise.

I’m suggesting that we approve Oceania’s $2k request and aim to get the general TGP policy written up before the end of the calendar year so that we are better equipped to support a number of FOSS4G events (global and regional) in 2019. That will need a budget submission to the board for 2019.

Cheers
______
Steven


On 11 Sep 2018, at 17:08, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP

I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.

We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.

Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
  1. You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
  2. Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
  3. Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING

Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven


On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.

Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.

I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.

Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.

Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.

Cheers!
John

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael, Steven

What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.

I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?

Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn? 

We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...

Thanks




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

delawen
HI,

Very briefly: when do you need the money? Can we wait until the next
board meeting (first week of October) or should we do an extra loomio
discuss and vote?

Do you want/need help on writing the TGP proposal to extend it to
regional and local events? I think it makes sense that people involved
in the TGP program already write the first draft. And then the rest
can review and extend.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> A motion is required. This is on my TODO/unread list to answer properly.
>
> El mié., 12 sept. 2018 12:18, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> escribió:
>>
>> Could someone on the Board confirm whether a motion is required (Board or Conference Committee)
>> ______
>> Steven
>>
>>
>> On 11 Sep 2018, at 23:00, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Steven & Michael
>>
>> Thanks very much for your thoughtful & supportive responses. Steven, your suggestions sound exactly right to me, and we've already taken these on board in our implementation (applications are currently incoming).
>>
>> So it sounds like we have general support within this group - does this require an OSGeo board motion?
>>
>> If so, for clarity:
>>
>> Our request is for AUD $3k (approx USD $2150) to support our regional FOSS4G Travel Grant Program.
>> We're contributing AUD $4500 in cash and 5 registrations (our cost approx AUD $1500).
>> If we receive support from OSGeo, we will contribute an additional 3 registrations (our cost approx AUD $900).
>> Further details are available here.
>>
>>
>> Thank you!
>> John
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 02:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Further thought
>>>
>>> We do need to draft a clear policy statement on funding and process of future FOSS4Gs. Till and I have the Call for LoI’s for FOSS4G 2020 to get out within the next week or so which we must prioritise.
>>>
>>> I’m suggesting that we approve Oceania’s $2k request and aim to get the general TGP policy written up before the end of the calendar year so that we are better equipped to support a number of FOSS4G events (global and regional) in 2019. That will need a budget submission to the board for 2019.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>
>>> On 11 Sep 2018, at 17:08, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP
>>>
>>> I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.
>>>
>>> We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.
>>>
>>> Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
>>>
>>> You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
>>> Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
>>> Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING
>>>
>>>
>>> Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail
>>>
>>> May the FOSS be with you
>>> ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>
>>> On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.
>>>
>>> Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.
>>>
>>> I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.
>>>
>>> Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> John
>>>
>>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Michael, Steven
>>>>
>>>> What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.
>>>>
>>>> I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?
>>>>
>>>> Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn?
>>>>
>>>> We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>> Adam
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Dr. Adam Steer
>>>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
>>>> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
>>>> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
>>>> +61 427 091 712
>>>> skype: adam.d.steer
>>>> tweet: @adamdsteer
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Board mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

John Bryant
I can answer the first question: We don't need the payment right away, but we need to know if it's approved by the 21st of September, so that we know how many grants we can award.

I'm not sure if the second question is for us... our TGP has already been open for a few weeks and is closing next week, so our documents are already written. I might be misunderstanding the question.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 16:09, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI,

Very briefly: when do you need the money? Can we wait until the next
board meeting (first week of October) or should we do an extra loomio
discuss and vote?

Do you want/need help on writing the TGP proposal to extend it to
regional and local events? I think it makes sense that people involved
in the TGP program already write the first draft. And then the rest
can review and extend.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A motion is required. This is on my TODO/unread list to answer properly.
>
> El mié., 12 sept. 2018 12:18, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> escribió:
>>
>> Could someone on the Board confirm whether a motion is required (Board or Conference Committee)
>> ______
>> Steven
>>
>>
>> On 11 Sep 2018, at 23:00, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Steven & Michael
>>
>> Thanks very much for your thoughtful & supportive responses. Steven, your suggestions sound exactly right to me, and we've already taken these on board in our implementation (applications are currently incoming).
>>
>> So it sounds like we have general support within this group - does this require an OSGeo board motion?
>>
>> If so, for clarity:
>>
>> Our request is for AUD $3k (approx USD $2150) to support our regional FOSS4G Travel Grant Program.
>> We're contributing AUD $4500 in cash and 5 registrations (our cost approx AUD $1500).
>> If we receive support from OSGeo, we will contribute an additional 3 registrations (our cost approx AUD $900).
>> Further details are available here.
>>
>>
>> Thank you!
>> John
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 02:13, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Further thought
>>>
>>> We do need to draft a clear policy statement on funding and process of future FOSS4Gs. Till and I have the Call for LoI’s for FOSS4G 2020 to get out within the next week or so which we must prioritise.
>>>
>>> I’m suggesting that we approve Oceania’s $2k request and aim to get the general TGP policy written up before the end of the calendar year so that we are better equipped to support a number of FOSS4G events (global and regional) in 2019. That will need a budget submission to the board for 2019.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>
>>> On 11 Sep 2018, at 17:08, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I’ve been offline for a few days. I would support a proposal to OSGeo Board that we allocate $2,000 to the FOSS4G Oceania TGP
>>>
>>> I don’t know what the procedure is to get board ok and then funds transfer to the Oceania team, hence I have copied this mail to the board list.
>>>
>>> We can also provide you with a copy of our application form and notes on how we did selection if that helps but you should not feel obliged to follow use/modify our form.
>>>
>>> Some suggestions from me (based on experience of 2 big TGP’s)
>>>
>>> You will receive way more applications than you can fill. Choose some criteria for grants that help you  to target the group(s) you want to facilitate and enable you to weed out other applicants quickly. Be clear about your criteria and who you will give priority to in your application form
>>> Recipients need to have some "skin in the game” i.e they are making a partial contribution towards their cost of travel and expenses
>>> Grants should not be paid out to recipients until they have arrived at the conference registration desk. You will need to make this clear to applicants in the application form and again when you notify them of award. This avoids a no show having received a grant in advance. I think this should be a PRECONDITION OF OSGEO TGP FUNDING
>>>
>>>
>>> Till is chair of the Conference Committee so he may wish to add some thoughts to this mail
>>>
>>> May the FOSS be with you
>>> ______
>>> Steven
>>>
>>>
>>> On 10 Sep 2018, at 05:48, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys, just want to reiterate what Adam said, and stress that we will need to know in advance of our 21 Sept closing date, if we're to execute this efficiently. Our TGP attendees will mostly be flying from the Pacific Islands, so they will need significant lead time to arrange visas and book flights - we're already pushing it, so won't be able to push dates back at all.
>>>
>>> Plenty of submissions so far - we shouldn't have any trouble at all finding deserving attendees.
>>>
>>> I appreciate you 3 are in some pretty difficult time zones to work together, so I can see some challenges to getting a proper OSGeo TGP policy in place before our deadline. I'm hopeful we could act as a guinea pig to some degree, and help contribute to the OSGeo policy by experience.
>>>
>>> Our request is for AUD $3k (a little over USD $2k), and we're putting in the equivalent of about AUD $3k cash (AUD $4500 in doc includes value of full ticket price). We're considering putting in more, but hoping to get some indication of the probability of securing the OSGeo support first.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot & appreciate your work on this amazing program, whether we manage to get our conference on board or not.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> John
>>>
>>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:07, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Michael, Steven
>>>>
>>>> What needs to happen to get a TGP policy done? We’re champing at the bit because we’re closing applications in just under two weeks (21 September), and would like some certainty about whether the program will be funded by OSgeo or not.
>>>>
>>>> I appreciate that OSgeo want a policy for regional TGPs in place - so - what can we do to expedite that?
>>>>
>>>> Or: can we write the policy on the fly as we go and learn?
>>>>
>>>> We’re more than happy to remind the board or conference committee about our TGP and what we’re after...
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>> Adam
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Dr. Adam Steer
>>>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
>>>> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
>>>> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
>>>> +61 427 091 712
>>>> skype: adam.d.steer
>>>> tweet: @adamdsteer
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Board mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

delawen
So yes, we have to vote this already.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:14 AM John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can answer the first question: We don't need the payment right away, but we need to know if it's approved by the 21st of September, so that we know how many grants we can award.
>
> I'm not sure if the second question is for us... our TGP has already been open for a few weeks and is closing next week, so our documents are already written. I might be misunderstanding the question.
>
_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TGP policy/FOSS4G SotM Oceania

michael terner-2
+1

Adam properly covers my perspective. I support that OSGeo needs a "written policy" on TGP's for regional events (IMHO, the policy might/should include: being affordable (low $'s); matching funds from local host that exceed OSGeo funds; and there should be a good sense of what "underserved populations" need support). And, yes, both OSGeo TGP leadership (e.g., Steven, Til) as well as a well organized regional event - like Oceania - would be an ideal combo for coming up with a good draft of this policy for consideration of, and adaptation by the board.

Thanks all...

MT

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 2:41 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
So yes, we have to vote this already.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:14 AM John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can answer the first question: We don't need the payment right away, but we need to know if it's approved by the 21st of September, so that we know how many grants we can award.
>
> I'm not sure if the second question is for us... our TGP has already been open for a few weeks and is closing next week, so our documents are already written. I might be misunderstanding the question.
>
_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


--
Michael Terner
(M) 978-631-6602

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board