Re: SelectPlus and postgis in trunk

John C. Tull
Barry,

I'm cc'ing the dev list in hopes that somebody like Marco might be
able to pick up the streamed editing work.

Thanks,
John

On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM, John C. Tull <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Barry,
>>
>> I updated selectplus and it works great! I did not try topocolour.
>
> Great!
>
>> Also, your repo that I have in the plugin installer is offline or
>> inaccessible.
>
> Yeah, scheduled power shutdown of about half of campus. We paid one
> of our techies lots of money to come in today and shut it down because
> technically work has been closed since last Wednesday, and some
> academics were complaining about the server being down for a week.
> We'll fire it up when work opens on Thursday.
>
>> Lastly, the freehand tool would be a great start for implementing a
>> freehand
>> drawing plugin for creating new vectors, something like what you
>> can do in
>> Google Earth with their layer drawing. I've often wanted to draw a
>> polygon
>> boundary off a topo map with a freehand drawing tool rather than
>> clicking
>> the map a billion times. This has been in the enhancement list for
>> a while:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/997
>
> Hmmm that's possibly something that'll need to go into the core to
> integrate with the editing tools - because once you've drawn it you
> might want to edit it, thin it, snap it to other things etc. Might be
> a bit beyond me!
>
> Barry

AW: Re: SelectPlus and postgis in trunk

Hugentobler  Marco

Hi Barry and John

You mean there is a freehand plugin already available?
I also think that freehand tool should go to trunk (once the feature freeze for 1.1 is over).
In which repository is the plugin available?

cheers,
Marco

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
I'm cc'ing the dev list in hopes that somebody like Marco might be
able to pick up the streamed editing work.

Thanks,
John

On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM, John C. Tull <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Barry,
>>
>> I updated selectplus and it works great! I did not try topocolour.
>
> Great!
>
>> Also, your repo that I have in the plugin installer is offline or
>> inaccessible.
>
> Yeah, scheduled power shutdown of about half of campus. We paid one
> of our techies lots of money to come in today and shut it down because
> technically work has been closed since last Wednesday, and some
> academics were complaining about the server being down for a week.
> We'll fire it up when work opens on Thursday.
>
>> Lastly, the freehand tool would be a great start for implementing a
>> freehand
>> drawing plugin for creating new vectors, something like what you
>> can do in
>> Google Earth with their layer drawing. I've often wanted to draw a
>> polygon
>> boundary off a topo map with a freehand drawing tool rather than
>> clicking
>> the map a billion times. This has been in the enhancement list for
>> a while:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/997
>
> Hmmm that's possibly something that'll need to go into the core to
> integrate with the editing tools - because once you've drawn it you
> might want to edit it, thin it, snap it to other things etc. Might be
> a bit beyond me!
>
> Barry

Re: Re: SelectPlus and postgis in trunk

Barry Rowlingson
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Hugentobler  Marco
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Barry and John
>
> You mean there is a freehand plugin already available?
> I also think that freehand tool should go to trunk (once the feature freeze for 1.1 is over).
> In which repository is the plugin available?

 Not quite. My "selectplus" plugin allows users to select features by
drawing a freehand polygon. The polygon is not stored anywhere/ What
John would really like is to be able to digitize features by drawing a
freehand polygon, creating new features in the current layer. I think
this is probably something that needs integrating into the existing
layer editing toolset, and so probably needs to be written in C++ in
the core.

On Apr 14, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Hugentobler  Marco
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Barry and John
>>
>> You mean there is a freehand plugin already available?
>> I also think that freehand tool should go to trunk (once the
>> feature freeze for 1.1 is over).
>> In which repository is the plugin available?
>
> Not quite. My "selectplus" plugin allows users to select features by
> drawing a freehand polygon. The polygon is not stored anywhere/ What
> John would really like is to be able to digitize features by drawing a
> freehand polygon, creating new features in the current layer. I think
> this is probably something that needs integrating into the existing
> layer editing toolset, and so probably needs to be written in C++ in
> the core.

Barry is correct. I wondered if his code could be hijacked and used
for implementing a freehand polygon drawing tool. Obviously, there is
the python to C++ issue...

Cheers,
John