Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Cameron Shorter

Hi GDAL folks,

I'd like to introduce you to Lynden who has dropped by our OSGeo Season of Docs community. He is a developer, has used ogr2ogr, is an "expert gdal newbie", and is keen to give back to GDAL through documentation.

Do you have thoughts on where there are documentation needs, and where Lynden could be most impactful?

Cheers, Cameron

On 7/6/19 9:23 pm, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Hi Lynden,

Great to hear you are interested in getting further involved in OSGeo, and in helping with documentation.

I'm a fellow Australian (based in Sydney), and involved in OSGeo's SeasonOfDocs project, and would love to help you find your feet in our community. What is the best way to contact you? I'm usually hard to catch during work hours, but could have a chat over the weekend. Early morning, or after 8pm often works for me as well.

Welcome. Cameron

On 4/6/19 7:57 pm, María Arias de Reyna wrote:
Hi Lynden!

You arrive just in time to help in the Season of Docs[0]! Can you register here on the mailing list [1] and say hi?

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:32 AM Lynden Noye <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

My name is Lynden, and I'm a UX/UI designer and front-end developer from Melbourne Australia.

Through my work at a small native mobile app agency, I've been using a lot of ogr2ogr for a GIS project, and I'd be interested in volunteering my time with any help you may need with the GDAL docs and website.

If you're interested in hearing more, I'd love to have a chat.

Cheers,
Lynden

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Lynden Noye
Hi there!

While Cameron is not wrong about me being a dev, that's been a more recent thing for me professionally, I'm a much more experienced UX & UI designer ;)

Cameron, I've subscribed to this list too, I look forward to hearing back on where I might be able to help out!

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 10:00 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Even Rouault-2

this is really great news ! Given my experience with the project, I'm rather
far from being representative of someone less familiar with it or with a non-
developer profile, so thoughts from the broader GDAL community on what they
feel is the most missing would be welcome.

One thing I've in mind - this is rather a detail - is that we lost a bit of
content (build requirements for each driver) during the Sphinx migration, as
pointed out by
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1204#issuecomment-498624481 , so this
could be a potential task.

More generally, I feel we might need more tutorial-like / how-to style
documentation. The current documentation is hopefully rather decent as a
reference guide, but lacking on the quick-start side. On the wiki, there are
some source of information, mostly from
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs , that could be interesting to
migrate partly on the main documentation, but with a critical eye (some of the
hints might be outdated due to later improvements, etc)

Lynden, perhaps you've also suggestions from your practice of the project and
its documentation on what you'd like to see added ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Eli Adam
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 5:43 AM Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is really great news ! Given my experience with the project, I'm rather
> far from being representative of someone less familiar with it or with a non-
> developer profile, so thoughts from the broader GDAL community on what they
> feel is the most missing would be welcome.

There are some things that are very basic that might make the
documentation more understandable to a beginner.  I'm not sure if
these things are true or I've made them up or they are supposed to be
too obvious to state.

-nln = New Layer Name
-nlt = New Layer Type
-a_srs = assign spatial reference system
-t_srs = target spatial reference system
-s_srs = source spatial reference system

-ot = output type
-of = output format

Are those true?  If not, I've used them to better understand (and
remember) the options.

Best regards, Eli

wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > this is really great news ! Given my experience with the project, I'm
> > rather far from being representative of someone less familiar with it or
> > with a non- developer profile, so thoughts from the broader GDAL
> > community on what they feel is the most missing would be welcome.
>
> There are some things that are very basic that might make the
> documentation more understandable to a beginner.  I'm not sure if
> these things are true or I've made them up or they are supposed to be
> too obvious to state.
>
> -nln = New Layer Name
> -nlt = New Layer Type
> -a_srs = assign spatial reference system
> -t_srs = target spatial reference system
> -s_srs = source spatial reference system
>
> -ot = output type
> -of = output format
>
> Are those true?  If not, I've used them to better understand (and
> remember) the options.

Yes, they are true (or at least I've drawn the same conclusion as you :-))

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Ivan Lucena-5
Talking about basics... Most of the SDK we download to build drivers comes with an INSTALL file (.md or not) and that is what people usually look for when they decide that they need to download and build a FOSS. But GDAL doesn't have that. Yes, the information is there, somewhere but it would be nice to have it more accessible for newbies.

On lundi 17 juin 2019 08:16:30 CEST Eli Adam wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 5:43 AM Even Rouault <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is really great news ! Given my experience with the project, I'm
> > rather far from being representative of someone less familiar with it or
> > with a non- developer profile, so thoughts from the broader GDAL
> > community on what they feel is the most missing would be welcome.
>
> There are some things that are very basic that might make the
> documentation more understandable to a beginner.  I'm not sure if
> these things are true or I've made them up or they are supposed to be
> too obvious to state.
>
> -nln = New Layer Name
> -nlt = New Layer Type
> -a_srs = assign spatial reference system
> -t_srs = target spatial reference system
> -s_srs = source spatial reference system
>
> -ot = output type
> -of = output format
>
> Are those true?  If not, I've used them to better understand (and
> remember) the options.

Yes, they are true (or at least I've drawn the same conclusion as you :-))

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Jeremy Palmer-3
I think we could do with documenting the https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ConfigOptions in a more complete way and including it in the main website documentation. We could also consider including all config options that apply to a driver such as https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gtiff.html#configuration-options

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

jratike80

Probably the hardest bit of all based on the traffic on the mailing list
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints but with a help from the
developers it should be possible at least to move hints which do not work
any more into some historic section.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Cameron Shorter wrote

> Hi GDAL folks,
>
> I'd like to introduce you to Lynden who has dropped by our OSGeo Season
> of Docs community. He is a developer, has used ogr2ogr, is an "expert
> gdal newbie", and is keen to give back to GDAL through documentation.
>
> Do you have thoughts on where there are documentation needs, and where
> Lynden could be most impactful?
>
> Cheers, Cameron

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Cameron Shorter

Doing some cross-pollination of ideas between gdal list (techies) and osgeo season of docs list (writers)...

Feedback Lynden received from GDAL community based on his offer to help with docs ...

On 16/6/19 2:02 pm, Lynden Noye wrote:
While Cameron is not wrong about me being a dev, that's been a more recent thing for me professionally, I'm a much more experienced UX & UI designer ;)

Cameron, I've subscribed to this list too, I look forward to hearing back on where I might be able to help out!

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 10:00 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi GDAL folks,

I'd like to introduce you to Lynden who has dropped by our OSGeo Season of Docs community. He is a developer, has used ogr2ogr, is an "expert gdal newbie", and is keen to give back to GDAL through documentation.

Do you have thoughts on where there are documentation needs, and where Lynden could be most impactful?

Cheers, Cameron

Hi,

On 18/6/19 6:11 pm, Jeremy Palmer wrote:
I think we could do with documenting the https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ConfigOptions in a more complete way and including it in the main website documentation. We could also consider including all config options that apply to a driver such as https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gtiff.html#configuration-options
--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Lynden Noye
I like the idea of dipping my toes in by looking at the command line flags like Eli mentioned for ogr2ogr and ogrinfo and adding some of the more basic things.

Then I could compile my ideas for some more tutorial or example guides somewhat like Mapbox’s JS/iOS SDK beginner examples? https://docs.mapbox.com/ios/maps/examples/
They should have simple high level goals relevant to the tool but broadly applicable to the basic tasks people may have.

Lynden

On 19 Jun 2019, at 05:42, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Lynden, I'm looping in the gdal and seasonofdocs email lists with your permission, because:
* This is a good question and I think there are others interested in the answers
* People on these lists will likely add more value to my answers.

Lynden, your approach sounds good. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of adding docs to the gdal. I'm hoping the gdal team will provide an answer here.

With regards to what content to write, we have technical writer volunteers on the season of docs email list keen to help with structure. (A few of them live in Melbourne, Australia with you.)  When you are ready we can set up a meeting to plan your structure and approach.

A starting point for you to think about is to define the doc types you are writing, as described here:

Cheers, Cameron

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 11:34, Lynden Noye <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Cameron, what should be my process for getting started?

Can I just open PRs against the docs in question in Github? Should I shoot the link around the mailing list when I've opened a PR?

Or is there something more formal that needs to happen with regards to approval before getting started?

I didn't want to bother the whole mailing list with these questions, unless... that's its purpose? haha

On vendredi 21 juin 2019 07:30:20 CEST Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Lynden, I'm looping in the gdal and seasonofdocs email lists with your
> permission, because:
> * This is a good question and I think there are others interested in the
> answers
> * People on these lists will likely add more value to my answers.
>
> Lynden, your approach sounds good. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of
> adding docs to the gdal. I'm hoping the gdal team will provide an answer
> here.

Sphinx based documentation at:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/doc

Build recipee:

Linux or Mac
------------

From gdal/doc directory, install build dependencies with:
pip3 install --upgrade -r requirements.txt

and then:
make html

OR

Linux
-----

From gdal/doc directory,
you can also use a Docker image that has already all build dependencies:

docker pull osgeo/proj-docs
docker run -v $PWD:/doc osgeo/proj-docs /bin/sh -c "cd /doc && make html"

Even

http://www.spatialys.com