Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Help needed to setup VM

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Help needed to setup VM

Cameron Shorter

Hi Felicity,

I'm switching you across to the OSGeoLive email list, where you will find people who can help with these OSGeoLive issues.

I suspect you are seeing a screen similar to the following? (I have 2 virtual machines, you probably only have 1, without snapshots.)

Click on following 1, 2, 3 sequence.

This should take you to the following screen. If you don't click on the following screen, it will automatically boot the Ubuntu disk (which is actually our OSGeoLive disk). Otherwise just press enter

If you haven't got this far, it is possible you haven't mounted your virtual machine correctly yet.

The boot process will go through a couple of screens, then you will get to:

Ignore the popup (press Cancel).

Click "OK" on the other popup, and then you will have the virtual machine set up.

Based on your error report, I suspect you might have been tripped up somewhere else, and we will need to help you with your debugging a bit more.

On 13/6/19 7:13 pm, Jo Cook wrote:
Hi Felicity,

I can't edit the OSGeo Live docs, or post any screenshots right now, but hopefully I can give you some pointers to proceed, and I agree that this section in the documentation needs expanding.

The OSGeo system is fully "up" when the Welcome window appears. Once you've read as much or as little of the welcome information as you would like, dismiss it with the OK button. To start a terminal session, click the terminal icon on the start bar (to the right of the firefox icon, called LXTerminal). You can then type the commands provided in the quickstart docs (as they appear after the user@osgeolive:~$ prompt).

Hope that helps

Jo

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:00 AM Felicity Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

I can't for the life of me get up and running.

On this page https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualization_quickstart.html, I need a screenshot in the "Running the Virtual Machine" section after the text "Once the OSGeo system comes up". What should I expect to see here?

Cheers
Felicity

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Help needed to setup VM

Felicity Brand
Thanks Cameron.
Yep, I get to that initial screen where I press Enter to boot the Ubuntu disk. And then nothing happens - I suspect it's not booting.
I thought at first it's because I didn't wait long enough... so I was very patient this time (20 minutes) and still nothing.
What I've tried so far:
- Uninstalling VirtualBox and reinstalling
- Installing an earlier version of VirtualBox
- Deleting the vmdk, re-downloading and following the whole procedure again.

Do I need to play around with the memory size settings or some other setting maybe? I'm pretty sure my laptop meets the specs..

On 13/6/19 7:13 pm, Jo Cook wrote:
[...]

Hi Felicity, I suspect it is something much simpler than all those things you tried (although non-intuitive and frustratingly difficult to identify).
So it sounds like you have made it to my screenshot 2 below?
Maybe your newly opened VM window is not capturing the keyboard and/or mouse keys.

Theoretically, if you don't click on the window, it should automatically start up after ~ 5 secs from screen 2.
If you click on the ubuntu startup page (screen 2), are you then able to use the arrow keys to move up/down from the list of options? (That would indicate the keyboard is capturing key presses. If you can do that, you should then be able to press Enter on the top "Ubuntu" option and the startup sequence should start.)

Angelos, Brian, others, you might have some more suggestions for Felicity to try?

If you remain stuck, it might help to do a video conference either tonight or over the weekend and we can screen share to try and debug. SMS me some suggested times that work for you.

Good luck, Cameron

On 13/6/19 7:13 pm, Jo Cook wrote:
[...]

Huzzah - I emerge from the BIOS triumphant!

I needed to enable virtualization technology and make a few other tweaks. This page helped a lot:

Thanks all for your help.

On 13/6/19 7:13 pm, Jo Cook wrote:
[...]

aohpaoiipfegacdh.png (115K) Download Attachment
cfpheaiildijljdh.png (35K) Download Attachment
dinipbjjncbmpeeh.png (742K) Download Attachment

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Help needed to setup VM

Cameron Shorter

Well done Felicity.

Maybe a good first writing task could be to improve these VM setup instructions to include a Windows based setup?

Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier