Re: [Qgis-user] segments_to_lines & @geometry_part_num in QGIS 2.99 & 3.0

Anita Graser
Hi,

I'd like to raise this on the dev list since it seems to be a bug. Ticket: https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18384

Here is the basic issue as Michel observed it:

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:47 PM, Michel Stuyts <[hidden email]> wrote:
When creating a style for a polygon layer I noticed a difference between QGIS 2.99 (Windows standalone installer) and QGIS 3.0 (OSGeo4W) when I use segments_to_lines & @geometry_part_num.
  *   I created a polygon layer and added some polygons.
  *   Then I started editing the layer style:
     *   I added a Geometry generator as symbol layer to create a Linestring type that contains  segments_to_lines($geometry)
     *   Then I changed the line type of the result to a "Marker line"
     *   Then I changed the Symbol layer type of this "Marker line" to "Font marker"
     *   Then I changed the "Data defined override" of the content of this font marker to @geometry_part_num
     *   Then I changed the font size of the font marker
The results are different in QGIS 2.99 and 3.0 (see images below). Is this a bug in 3.0 or is it an intentional change? The result in QGIS 2.18 is the same as in 2.99. The result in QGIS 3.1 is the same as in 3.0.

​I've actually been able to reproduce 2.18 results in 3.x but only if @geometry_part_num was used in a different context besides the marker line as well.

Took me a couple of hours to find out why @geometry_part_num behaved seemingly randomly.

Was this a purposeful change?

Regards,
Anita

Re: [Qgis-user] segments_to_lines & @geometry_part_num in QGIS 2.99 & 3.0

Nyall Dawson
On 13 May 2018 at 01:59, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to raise this on the dev list since it seems to be a bug. Ticket:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18384
>
> Here is the basic issue as Michel observed it:
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:47 PM, Michel Stuyts <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> When creating a style for a polygon layer I noticed a difference between
>> QGIS 2.99 (Windows standalone installer) and QGIS 3.0 (OSGeo4W) when I use
>> segments_to_lines & @geometry_part_num.
>>   *   I created a polygon layer and added some polygons.
>>   *   Then I started editing the layer style:
>>      *   I added a Geometry generator as symbol layer to create a
>> Linestring type that contains  segments_to_lines($geometry)
>>      *   Then I changed the line type of the result to a "Marker line"
>>      *   Then I changed the Symbol layer type of this "Marker line" to
>> "Font marker"
>>      *   Then I changed the "Data defined override" of the content of this
>> font marker to @geometry_part_num
>>      *   Then I changed the font size of the font marker
>> The results are different in QGIS 2.99 and 3.0 (see images below). Is this
>> a bug in 3.0 or is it an intentional change? The result in QGIS 2.18 is the
>> same as in 2.99. The result in QGIS 3.1 is the same as in 3.0.
>

> I've actually been able to reproduce 2.18 results in 3.x but only if
> @geometry_part_num was used in a different context besides the marker line
> as well.
>
> Here's a screencast of what I think is pretty odd behavior:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvyqeecpq0uis1j/QGIS%20Geometry%20Generator%20geometry_part_num.mp4?dl=0
>
> Took me a couple of hours to find out why @geometry_part_num behaved
> seemingly randomly.
>
> Was this a purposeful change?

Nope, just a bug. I know what the issue is here, I'll fix when I get a chance.

Nyall

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 1:39 AM, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13 May 2018 at 01:59, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
​​
> Was this a purposeful change?
Nope, just a bug. I know what the issue is here, I'll fix when I get a chance.

​Thank you for the confirmation Nyall!

Regards,
Anita​