Re: [Qgis-developer] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Re: [Qgis-developer] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Anita Graser
On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:
You mean the first time the print layout is opened (created). If so,
yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still does): at
the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.

But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item extent synced
with map canvas each time it's opened.

I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical use case is: I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a print layout, and go on printing the same area.
Am I the only one expecting this?

​Maybe I'm just used to the current behavior, but for most of my usecases the extent of the print map should stay same while I might be busy fixing details in the main window (and thus zooming and panning around there).

That's why the current behavior works well for me.

(cc-ing the UX list for input)

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: [Qgis-developer] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

On 06/11/2016 01:44 PM, Anita Graser wrote:

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:
You mean the first time the print layout is opened (created). If so,
yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still does): at
the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.

But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item extent synced
with map canvas each time it's opened.

I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical use case is: I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a print layout, and go on printing the same area.
Am I the only one expecting this?

​Maybe I'm just used to the current behavior, but for most of my usecases the extent of the print map should stay same while I might be busy fixing details in the main window (and thus zooming and panning around there).

Should the extent be synchronized when the map composer is opened or also when zooming/panning?

If I change the extent inside the print composer should it also be synchronized back to the map canvas?

What about if I carefully selected exactly the extent which I want on the print and then open the composer again and the extent is gone?

What about two different maps with different extent like an inset/overview map?

That's why the current behavior works well for me.

(cc-ing the UX list for input)
(moving to only UX list for reduced mail volume)

Best wishes,
Anita​

Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: [Qgis-developer] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Mathieu Pellerin

+100 to stick with current behaviour. My canvas extent very rarely reflects desired extend and scale of my composer layouts

That said, for your use case, maybe you want to implement a [x] keep extend and scale synchronised with canvas. Off by default :)