Re: [Qgis-developer] Composer Legend items: what are the differences between "auto-update" and "update all" options?

Re: [Qgis-developer] Composer Legend items: what are the differences between "auto-update" and "update all" options?

DelazJ
Sorry, I think I do not well express my thoughts [0] . Maybe it's an UX matter instead of developer's (so CCing UX-list). Let me reword it. Do we need at the same place two "buttons" that do same thing?
I'll take QGIS2.4 as basis since these changes were introduced in 2.6 (if i'm not wrong) and I haven't really tested legends in newer releases till now.

In 2.4, after you add a legend in the composer, it adds all layers that are visible. And legend item is by default independent of what happens to the TOC. For example, renaming layers in the TOC won't be applied unless the user decided to do so. 3 options were proposed:
- "auto-update" checkbox (checked by default) which automatically triggers the changes done in the style of an *already added* layer to the legend item. Issue : changes done to a layer when the option is unchecked are not applied unless you redo changes in the same layer.
- This issue can be fixed by the use of "update item" option which applies the classification of the selected legend item, one by one.
- and "update all" a contrario, resets all the legend according to layers shown in the main map canvas : delete ALL the modifications added by the user in the legend, add all the visible layers, removes the invisible ones
The main issue with this system is that legend may not be synchrone with the map item since updating procedure in legend was mainly on either already added layers or visible layers in canvas and these layers may not be the ones in the map item. But on the other hand, there are three options that do three different things.

In the current design (master 43c046b and it should be same thing in LTR), if you add a legend, it  adds ALL the layers available in the project, visible or not [1]. And any change applied to the properties of a layer listed in the legend item is immediately triggered, meaning that the "update item" option is no more needed. I agree with you. And having a real and direct relation between layer panel and legend item is a great improvement.
But I notice that changes in a layer properties are echoed in the legend with or without "auto-update" option checked. Actually "auto-update" option just resets the legend list, ensuring that the legend looks like the layer panel (added/removed/moved layers). And so does "update all". Same thing! One is automatic, the other one isn't.
Isn't there another way to provide same capabilities without two buttons?

Notice that there is a "Reset default" option in the contextual menu of legend item. Better move it up?

Regards,
DelazJ

"After changing the symbology in the QGIS main window you can click on [Update] to adapt the changes in the legend element of the print composer"

I think that now changes in the legend element of print composer is automatic when you change, say, layer name color,
and that was the purpose of "update item"

Il 12/10/2015 18.02, DelazJ ha scritto:

> In previous releases (till 2.4 I think), there was another option
> "Update item" that keeps user customization and can explain why there
> was an "Update all" option that resets all modifications. Now, both
> options do reset.

Well this is another issue, but i don't remember what was Update item
purpose ...sorry

Re: [Qgis-developer] Composer Legend items: what are the differences between "auto-update" and "update all" options?

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi,

I am adding the UX (user interface) list about this legend discussion.

The whole situation about legend updates and the current legend GUI in composer is indeed a bit confusing and changed quite a bit in the last one (or two? releases). I also think that the "Auto update" checkbox and the "Update all" button next to it are almost redundant.

As far as I can tell, in the very recent master version, all the symbol changes that happen in the legend tree of the main application immediately reflect to the composers anyway (without any user intervention and regardless of the AutoUpdate checkbox - I think this is the expected behavior that most users want) - so can't we remove that Autoupdate button? Or better rename it to "Reset Legend" - which would more accurately describe what it does?

I also think that the "AutoUpdate" checkbox should not be turned on by default. The AutoUpdate now only concerns that new layers or entries in the layer are automatically added into the legend. I doubt that many users want to have that behavior enabled by default - because it means that the legend can grow uncontrolled in size and run off the page relatively quickly.

@Alexandre: note that the "Update selected" already works on the context menu (right-klick) if you select a layer. But now that updates happen automatically, I am not sure if the update of a single layer is needed anymore.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Andreas

On 14.10.2015 13:16, Alexandre Neto wrote:
Like you said the "update all" button behaviour can be done by selecting and unselecting the Update checkbox. But I find it not very elegant solution. Therefore the "extra" button makes sense to me.

Besides, it would be nice if, in the future, the "update all" button become "updated selected itens" if Items are selected. Not sure if that is planed, but I can sure make a feature request for that.

Alexandre Neto

Em qua, 14 de out de 2015 às 08:06, m roy <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Isn't there another way to provide same capabilities without two buttons?

If i understood what bother you is the fact that there are two
options (check box and button) to do quite the same thing, to
me it's ok because i see they have different behaviour (one is fully
automatic).
If this bother you so much you may open a feature request
and ask for the removal of the button.

all the best, Roy.

Re: [Qgis-developer] Composer Legend items: what are the differences between "auto-update" and "update all" options?

Anita Graser

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am adding the UX (user interface) list about this legend discussion.

The whole situation about legend updates and the current legend GUI in composer is indeed a bit confusing and changed quite a bit in the last one (or two? releases). I also think that the "Auto update" checkbox and the "Update all" button next to it are almost redundant.

​Do we have a ticket for this issue yet?
I'm afraid I haven't had time yet to look into this and form an opinion or even a suggestion for how the UI should be improved.
It would be great if the users interested in enhancing this part of QGIS could come up with a draft and open a ticket where it can be discussed in detail and with images :)
Thanks a lot!
Best wishes,
Anita​