Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

DelazJ
Hi Anita,

Le sam. 9 mars 2019 à 18:37, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Dear users,

The answers to the user question of February have now been analyzed. In total, we received 84 replies to the questionnaire. One submission was counted as a duplicate. Cases where all three fields were set to the same plugin have been only counted once. The plugins with more than three mentions are:

I'm a bit disappointed by the number of replies. I'd have expected more answers (everybody uses plugins, right?)

For the next question of the month, I'd be interesetd in something regarding the docs and its usage. Some rough ideas to polish for the survey:
1- What is your first source of information on QGIS features: SE, QGIS lists/user groups, local forum, QGIS doc, web browser, social network, others... (to sort by frequency of usage) - Here I mean when they want to learn something not hear about something
2- If/When you use QGIS doc, does it answer your needs? Yes, no, i don't use (or we can graduate: always, often, rarely, never(?)...)
3- How often do you use the QGIS Doc?
4- Suggestions for improvements or other comments... (on what they miss or think docs should be/do)

Now that we are releasing the 3.4 docs, it should be fair to know whether people do refer to the docs, use them and get feedbacks (critics or expectations for the next round).

Regards,
Harrissou
  1. QuickMapServices 33
  2. qgis2web 13
  3. OpenLayers_Plugin 8
  4. Group_Stats 7
  5. Digitizing_Tools 6
  6. mmqgis 6
  7. Profile_tool 6
  8. Another_DXF_Importer_DXF2Shape 5
  9. Lat_Lon_Tools 5
  10. Qgis2threejs 5
  11. Spreadsheet_Layers 5
  12. Value_Tool 5
  13. Data_Plotly 4
  14. go2streetview 4
  15. ImportPhotos 4
  16. Mask 4
  17. TimeManager 4
  18. TUFLOW 4
Among these top listed plugins, the following ones are not currently featured
  • OpenLayers_Plugin (has been marked as experimental due to known issues)
  • Group_Stats
  • Digitizing_Tools
  • mmqgis (has no version for QGIS 3 yet)
  • Profile_tool
  • Another_DXF_Importer_DXF2Shape
  • Spreadsheet_Layers
  • Value_Tool
  • go2streetview
  • ImportPhotos
  • TUFLOW
If you don't know these plugins yet, they might be worth checking out.

So far, we haven't settled on a new user question yet. If you have an idea for a question that would be interesting to ask, please let me know.

Regards,
Anita

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 8:27 PM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear users,

The answers to the user question of January have now been published: http://blog.qgis.org/2019/02/05/user-question-of-the-month-feb19-answers-from-jan/

Based on these results, during yesterday's PSC meeting, we've been discussing potential strategies to better inform users about all the different options for contributing to QGIS. So thanks to everyone who provided feedback!

We also have a new question for February: Which plugins should be listed as "featured" on the official plugin repository? https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/x/#bpH2ouJG

The form is available in a variety of languages thanks to Carlos Rivas for providing the platform and all the volunteers who helped with translations.

Regards,
Anita

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Tom Chadwin
A big +1 from me: I started trying to help with the user manual, but if few
people use it, I and others should concentrate our efforts elsewhere.

Thanks

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Community-Team-f4217566.html

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Anita Graser

Hi Harrissou and Tom,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:18 AM Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
A big +1 from me: I started trying to help with the user manual, but if few
people use it, I and others should concentrate our efforts elsewhere.

Great! Since you're both interested in getting the right answers to the right questions, could you work out exactly what you want to ask?

Regards,
Anita

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Tom Chadwin
Sure. Based entirely on Harrissou's questions, how about:

1. What is your first source of information on QGIS features?
- QGIS User Manual, Stack Exchange, QGIS mailing lists, a regional forum,
search engine, social network, other

2. If/when you use the official QGIS documentation, does it answer your
needs?
-always, often, sometimes, rarely, never, I don't use the official
documentation

3. On average, how often do you try to find information on QGIS features?
- daily, 2-3 times per week, once per week, 2-3 times per month, monthly,
less often, never

4. On average, how often do you use the official QGIS documentation?
- daily, 2-3 times per week, once per week, 2-3 times per month, monthly,
less often, never

5. Suggestions for improvements or other comments:
- textarea

Perhaps my only concern is that the phrase "information on QGIS features"
might be too generic. Should we keep it, but add extra questions
specifically about eg problem-solving/how-to?

What do others think?

Tom

-----

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:22 PM Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
1. What is your first source of information on QGIS features?
- QGIS User Manual, Stack Exchange, QGIS mailing lists, a regional forum,
search engine, social network, other
Perhaps my only concern is that the phrase "information on QGIS features"
might be too generic. Should we keep it, but add extra questions
specifically about eg problem-solving/how-to?

How about:
1. What is your first source for information on how to use QGIS features or solve problems?

Anita

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Tom Chadwin
Better, I think, repeating that change across to the other questions using
the same phrase.

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Community-Team-f4217566.html

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Anita Graser
Hi Tom and Harrissou,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Better, I think, repeating that change across to the other questions using
the same phrase.

If you finalize the questions, we could run them this month.

Regards,
Anita

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

DelazJ
Hi Anita,
Based on the earlier discussion, this is what I end up with (I rearrange the questions):

1. What is your first source of information on how to use QGIS features or solve problems?
- QGIS User Manual, Stack Exchange, QGIS mailing lists, a regional forum,
search engine, social network, other

2. On average, how often do you try to find information on QGIS features or solve problems?
- daily, 2-3 times per week, once per week, 2-3 times per month, monthly,
less often, never

3. If/when you use the official QGIS documentation to learn how to use QGIS features or solve problems, does it answer your
needs?
-always, often, sometimes, rarely, never, I don't use the official
documentation

4. On average, how often do you use the official QGIS documentation to find information on QGIS features or solve problems?
- daily, 2-3 times per week, once per week, 2-3 times per month, monthly,
less often, never
(selecting "I don't use the official documentation" in question 3 would hide this question)

5. Suggestions for improvements or other comments on the official QGIS documentation:
- textarea

Thanks,
Harrissou

Le jeu. 29 août 2019 à 13:55, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Since this topic has come up again on a different thread (and we should soon have a better way to distribute links to our questionnaires) I'd like to encourage you to send me the questions you'd like to run.

Regards,
Anita

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 8:54 PM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom and Harrissou,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Better, I think, repeating that change across to the other questions using
the same phrase.

If you finalize the questions, we could run them this month.

Regards,
Anita

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Anita Graser
Hi,

This is a call for translators!

I've set up the questionnaire with Harrissou's questions on Kobotoolbox. If you want to localize the questions, let me know and I'll give you editing rights.

The questionnaire will be published on Sunday.

Regards,
Anita

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ismail Sunni
Hi Anita,

I am interested to translate it to Bahasa Indonesia.

Hopefully, there will be more people answering the user question of the month, especially from Indonesia.

Best regards

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 19:35 Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

carlosgis
Hi Anita, maybe you can set up a google sheet for translation, it worked very well in the past for translators.
Regards,
Carlos Rivas.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

My username is ismailsunni

Best Regards.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Software Engineer

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

Alexandre Neto
Hi,

It's done for Portuguese

Thanks for putting it together,

Alex

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

r.m.aguilardearchila

Done for Spanish.

Gr,

Rosa