Re: [Qgis-community-team] [QGIS-Developer] Rename Style manager to Symbol manager in 3.0?

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [QGIS-Developer] Rename Style manager to Symbol manager in 3.0?

Nathan Woodrow
+1.  That has always bugged me.

- Nathan

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
While writing some tutorials, I have noticed some possible nomenclature confusion between Symbols (as compounds of stacked markers, lines, fills outlines and color ramps) and Styles (a vector layer symbols and labels settings).

We currently have to places we call "Style manager":
1. The symbols library that we open by going to Options > Style Manager;
2. The Style manager tab in the Layer Styling panel.

I think that the first one should be renamed to "Symbols manager", since it exclusively allows to create, edit, group, import and export symbols, and not styles.

On the other hand, the Style manager in the Layer Styling panel allows to create, manage, load, save as default the layers' styles (unfortunatly it does not allow to save styles as we can do in properties).

Any strong opinions about this?

Thanks.

Alexandre Neto

--
Alexandre Neto

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [QGIS-Developer] Rename Style manager to Symbol manager in 3.0?

DelazJ
Hi,
Looks like this issue is back again (for reference, see https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2765 for a related issue) and at some point, still from a doc writer perspective, it's not easy to be sure that you are clear enough for the reader, using same namings.
We need to find two different names for these two dialogs, whatever plans we have. These are two really different features. Given that the issue is raised in ML (as requested in the PR discussion), maybe the time has come.

Regards,