Re: [Qgis-community-team] Pushing updated strings to Transifex

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Pushing updated strings to Transifex

ghtmtt
Hi all,

I'm extending also to the community list. I'm setting up a doodle for
the next week for a doc meeting.

We have many different topic to discuss, some ideas here, but please
share your thoughts:

* moving to read the docs https://qgis.org/test/
* instructions to build docs on all major platforms
* implement the idea of the QGIS Portugal User group for the
translations (http://qgis.pt/traducao.html)
* "freeze" period where we just fix issue rather than adding new sections?
* issue triage. I propose it a long time ago and I think in some way we
have to do something
* status of the Google Season of Doc. I'm dealing with it so I'll make a
summary for all of you. It would be great if also Cameron Shorter could
participate, but we could have jet lag problems (he is in Australia)

Other ideas?

The doodle link is: https://doodle.com/poll/fe3897e8xym6295z

Cheers

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Pushing updated strings to Transifex

Cameron Shorter
Yes, I'd love to join the QGIS conversation around SeasonOfDocs, but my
enthusiasm doesn't quite extend to 2am meetings.

Either end of the day works for Australia/Europe cross-over. For me,
that is from 6am->10pm in Sydney Australia, which equates to 10pm -> 2pm
in Paris.

Could you make a meeting at say 12pm (noon) in Paris, 8pm in Sydney?

Meeting planner here:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=31&month=5&year=2019&p1=224&p2=155&p3=195&p4=37&p5=26&p6=240&p7=952&iv=0

Warm regards, Cameron

On 30/5/19 5:42 pm, matteo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm extending also to the community list. I'm setting up a doodle for
> the next week for a doc meeting.
>
> We have many different topic to discuss, some ideas here, but please
> share your thoughts:
>
> * moving to read the docs https://qgis.org/test/
> * instructions to build docs on all major platforms
> * implement the idea of the QGIS Portugal User group for the
> translations (http://qgis.pt/traducao.html)
> * "freeze" period where we just fix issue rather than adding new sections?
> * issue triage. I propose it a long time ago and I think in some way we
> have to do something
> * status of the Google Season of Doc. I'm dealing with it so I'll make a
> summary for all of you. It would be great if also Cameron Shorter could
> participate, but we could have jet lag problems (he is in Australia)
>
> Other ideas?
>
> The doodle link is: https://doodle.com/poll/fe3897e8xym6295z
>
> Cheers
>
> Matteo

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Pushing updated strings to Transifex

ghtmtt
Hi Cameron,

> Yes, I'd love to join the QGIS conversation around SeasonOfDocs, but my
> enthusiasm doesn't quite extend to 2am meetings
> Either end of the day works for Australia/Europe cross-over. For me,
> that is from 6am->10pm in Sydney Australia, which equates to 10pm -> 2pm
> in Paris.
>
> Could you make a meeting at say 12pm (noon) in Paris, 8pm in Sydney?
>
> Meeting planner here:
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=31&month=5&year=2019&p1=224&p2=155&p3=195&p4=37&p5=26&p6=240&p7=952&iv=0

yes for me no problem so far except maybe for Monday.

Richard, Harrissou? What do you think? Can we organize a shared meeting?

Cheers

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Cameron Shorter

Matteo,

It would be really good if we could set up a meeting next week to discuss the QGIS topics being raised in Season Of Docs list. Ideally have at least: Matteo (QGIS), Jared (Tech Writer), Me (OSGeoLive).

Key topics:

* Cover tech writing structure questions Jared has been raising

* What steps need to be taken to bring external training material into QGIS core docs?

* I'm wondering whether we will have more QGIS volunteers can available mentors. How can we get volunteers up and running?

* Would bringing OSGeoLive's QGIS Quickstart into QGIS docs be desirable and feasible

Would this time suite:

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
Brisbane (Australia - Queensland) Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 8:00:00 pm AEST UTC+10 hours
Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 8:00:00 pm AEST UTC+10 hours
Paris (France - Île-de-France) Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 12:00:00 noon CEST UTC+2 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 11:00:00 am BST UTC+1 hour
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 10:00:00

I can do Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday next week. Can also move forward or back an hour or so.

Do you have a favourite video conferencing package you'd prefer to use?

Hi Cameron,

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Richard Duivenvoorde
I probably could be available around that time.

We sometimes use Tim's/Kartoza's Zoom-room.
But whatever others prefer is ok to me.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 31/05/2019 13.11, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
>>> Either end of the day works for Australia/Europe cross-over. For me,
>>> that is from 6am->10pm in Sydney Australia, which equates to 10pm -> 2pm
>>> in Paris.
>>>
>>> Could you make a meeting at say 12pm (noon) in Paris, 8pm in Sydney?
>>>
>>> Meeting planner here:
>>> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=31&month=5&year=2019&p1=224&p2=155&p3=195&p4=37&p5=26&p6=240&p7=952&iv=0
>> yes for me no problem so far except maybe for Monday.
>>
>> Richard, Harrissou? What do you think? Can we organize a shared meeting?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Matteo
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

can we schedule Wednesday at 12PM Paris time (so 8PM Brisbane?)

Who is going to attend?

Cheers

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Cameron Shorter

Jared, with appear.in we can only have 4 free people which might not be enough.

Google hangouts allows 10, which should be ok. If you are considering attending, then please make sure I have your gmail account so I can invite you into the meeting.

If someone wants to set up an alternative, then please let me know.

Cheers, Cameron

On 31/5/19 9:37 pm, Jared Morgan wrote:
I could do 8pm Brisbane time on Wednesday.

It would be after the kids went to bed which would be perfect for me.

Do you reckon we would be able to fit all the invitees into an appear.in room, Cameron?

On Fri., 31 May 2019, 21:11 Cameron Shorter, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On 30/5/19 9:55 pm, matteo wrote:
Hi Cameron,

[...]

Alexandre Neto
Hi,

I can probably attend too. Zoom is robust and allows revording. An alternative to that could be jitsy, which is easy to setup and share. Although I have no idea how many people it can handle, and I don't think it is possíble to record.

I like the idea of having a quickstart on qgis docs that could be used by OSGeoLive. I think that is really missing.

Cheers

A sex, 31/05/2019, 21:59, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> escreveu:

[...]

On 30/5/19 9:55 pm, matteo wrote:
Hi Cameron,

[...]

ginetto
afaik, about jitsi I do not know number limitions and I'm sure you can record and eventually stream

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
* https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition
* Hire me: http://www.qcooperative.net

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 02:27, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On 30/5/19 9:55 pm, matteo wrote:
Hi Cameron,

[...]

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2019-05-31 8:27 PM, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can probably attend too. Zoom is robust and allows revording. An
> alternative to that could be jitsy, which is easy to setup and share.
> Although I have no idea how many people it can handle, and I don't think
> it is possíble to record.
>
> https://jitsi.org/
>
> I like the idea of having a quickstart on qgis docs that could be used
> by OSGeoLive. I think that is really missing.

I rely on Jitsi for several groups that I participate in, with 9+
regular attendees each meeting.  I think it would be great if the QGIS
project moved to the FOSS Jitsi (note that I have no connection to the
Jitsi project).  Here is a room that you can use and test locally:
https://meet.jit.si/QGISCommunity

-jeff

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Richard Duivenvoorde
Happy to test again, but one of the reasons we stick Tim's zoom for QGIS
psc meetings, is that we were tired of 'testing' other options.

I'm pretty sure we tried (x years ago):

- skype
- jitsi
- google hangout
- zoom
- teamspeak

But we were unhappy with most of them (they worked mostly ok for a
couple of people with fast connection, but as soon as one of them had a
slow connection it failed).

Anyway, let's try Jitsi?

Richard

On 2019-06-03 11:39, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> On 2019-05-31 8:27 PM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can probably attend too. Zoom is robust and allows revording. An
>> alternative to that could be jitsy, which is easy to setup and share.
>> Although I have no idea how many people it can handle, and I don't
>> think it is possíble to record.
>>
>> https://jitsi.org/
>>
>> I like the idea of having a quickstart on qgis docs that could be used
>> by OSGeoLive. I think that is really missing.
>>

> I rely on Jitsi for several groups that I participate in, with 9+
> regular attendees each meeting.  I think it would be great if the QGIS
> project moved to the FOSS Jitsi (note that I have no connection to the
> Jitsi project).  Here is a room that you can use and test locally:
> https://meet.jit.si/QGISCommunity
>
> -jeff

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

jmckenna
Administrator
I understand the reasoning and history, trust me I do.  I can only
explain what works now.  Probably best for you to stick with what works
for you, Zoom.  I only wanted to explain where things are now with
Jitsi.   -jeff

On 2019-06-03 6:23 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> Happy to test again, but one of the reasons we stick Tim's zoom for QGIS
> psc meetings, is that we were tired of 'testing' other options.
>
> I'm pretty sure we tried (x years ago):
>
> - skype
> - jitsi
> - google hangout
> - zoom
> - teamspeak
>
> But we were unhappy with most of them (they worked mostly ok for a
> couple of people with fast connection, but as soon as one of them had a
> slow connection it failed).
>
> Anyway, let's try Jitsi?
>
> Richard
>

> On 2019-06-03 11:39, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> On 2019-05-31 8:27 PM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can probably attend too. Zoom is robust and allows revording. An
>>> alternative to that could be jitsy, which is easy to setup and share.
>>> Although I have no idea how many people it can handle, and I don't
>>> think it is possíble to record.
>>>
>>> https://jitsi.org/
>>>
>>> I like the idea of having a quickstart on qgis docs that could be
>>> used by OSGeoLive. I think that is really missing.
>>>

>> I rely on Jitsi for several groups that I participate in, with 9+
>> regular attendees each meeting.  I think it would be great if the QGIS
>> project moved to the FOSS Jitsi (note that I have no connection to the
>> Jitsi project).  Here is a room that you can use and test locally:
>> https://meet.jit.si/QGISCommunity
>>
>> -jeff

Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Cameron Shorter
yes, I will set up Google hangouts. I have gmail ids for everyone who
has indicated they will come, except Richard Duivenvoorde. (hint, hint).

I will also be on irc://freenode.net#osgeolive (username=cameronshorter)
in case anyone is having problems connecting and wants to get in touch.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

ghtmtt
> yes, I will set up Google hangouts. I have gmail ids for everyone who
> has indicated they will come, except Richard Duivenvoorde. (hint, hint).
>
> I will also be on irc://freenode.net#osgeolive (username=cameronshorter)
> in case anyone is having problems connecting and wants to get in touch.

perfect, thanks Cameron

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Bethel Ugochukwu Ukazu
Dear Cameron,

In case you do not have my gmail;  [hidden email]

Apologies for my long absence.

regards

Bethel Ukazu
Tel: +2348038783211

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 1:17:09 p.m. GMT+1, matteo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes, I will set up Google hangouts. I have gmail ids for everyone who
> has indicated they will come, except Richard Duivenvoorde. (hint, hint).
>
> I will also be on irc://freenode.net#osgeolive (username=cameronshorter)
> in case anyone is having problems connecting and wants to get in touch.

perfect, thanks Cameron

Re: [Qgis-community-team] first meeting about SeasonOfDocs next week

Cameron Shorter
I'll float motions from our video conference into separate email thread for voting on.

Topics for discussion from this meeting:
Jared Morgan has ideas about structuring documentation. Let's discuss how we capture this. Andrew Jeffry has written getting started suggestions. What should we do about incorporating these? We have new volunteers, let's discuss how to engage them effectively. We have the potential to integrate OSGeoLive Quickstart (and maybe Project Overview) into QGIS docs. How should we approach this? We can potentially attract external training material into the docs. We probably won’t have time to discuss this in depth in this meeting. (There are also others interested in this topic).

Chat backchannel from this meeting.

Alexandre Neto
here!
20:06
Unknown senderLittle chat here
20:06
Alexandre NetoYou are having a big lag richard
20:08
Unknown senderI do not have sound
20:08
Unknown senderJust stopped video to hopefully have better signal
20:09
Richard Duivenvoorde^^ that is A Gentle Intro
20:22
Richard DuivenvoordeMaybe better:
20:26
Alexandre NetoWe have this:
20:29
Richard Duivenvoordehi
20:36
Alexandre NetoCan you get a link for that?
20:37
Richard DuivenvoordeNote that the 'latest' version is always in the 'testing' part:
20:42
Alexandre Netoand there's also the Sphinx syntax... as a blocker
20:43
Andrew JeffreyYes! I copied and pasted a lot of that from other parts in the doc
20:43
20:45
Alexandre NetoJared can you paste that link about git?
20:50
Jared MorganYep already done above.
20:50
Jared Morganhttps://pypi.org/project/rstdoc/ could be a possible way to get a coarse conversion.
20:55
Richard DuivenvoordeCameron, where is the quick intro from osgeo-live?
21:04
YouJo Walsh, do you want to say anything?
21:05
Jo CookJo Cook, not Jo Walsh, but no not right now
21:05
YouOops, sorry Jo.

On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 21:11, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cameron,